Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 27th Aug 2011, 10:15   #1
kjml
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

Default Fixing the odds

T -36 hours, and counting ‘til Hurricane Irene shows us what she’s got:

When Hurricane Irene hits the east coast of America (US) tomorrow, it will be a major event: a landfall.

It will also be (for you economic types) a shortfall. It will have failed. How do I know this? How is it true?? Let me tell you:

On August 28, 2011 in Danvers, Massachusetts, - in the direct path of the storm at its northern extremity - my second cousin (the daughter of my cousin) is scheduled to be married in an outdoor ceremony. Like most (all?) brides, she is fanatic that her wedding should happen the way she supposes it should happen: (perfectly) without the interference of weather, etc. Bizarre?
OK, ridiculous, at least.
Meanwhile, my Dad, the patriarch of this great clan, at 79 years of age, and subject to a regimen of medication and regulatory self-observation, has pitted himself against the storm and decided to leave home a day early, and to take with him his cares and to cover the fifty miles to the wedding, to stay in a motel the night before, in avoidance of the storm. Commitment! When he says he’ll be there, Goddammit, he’ll be there! (If my cousin knew, he'd be flummoxed!)
Brides, Bridesgrooms: wherever you maybe. Listen. This is the point. It is the stolid, stubborn, difficult and intransigent faith of the elders, that commitment and compliance (to necessity and inevitability) means everything; that is the point of these nuptials. Else people wouldn't risk their very lives to say so! If you don’t see that – if you can’t see that – you are doing something foolish, or for foolish reasons.

Granted; even as we speak, the severity of the storm is being downgraded. Also, we (myself and my Dad) are at the northern end of the long push, which should (Might, Hopefully) make this a storm (for us) a thing to laugh about. But, for the moment, and for most in its path, it is still the real deal! (Providence, Rhode Island - my home - is directly in the fore-casted path.) And he is ever so intransigent. He will not think about NOT being there. I understand: it is his job, his role, at this time of life, his very reason for being.
Family, commitment, dedication: they are not just words to which we can offer 'homage'. For many people, for our own dearest elders, they are the very life blood of meaning. No matter how much they have already achieved and accomplished, they still (and always) measure themselves by the simple calculus of “what have I done today?” and “what will I do tomorrow?” How many of us, in our own age, can say this is true?

It is hard to argue with such a man, with such an idea: I don’t hope, though, to argue, but to see him clearly and safely through it. My second-cousin, a wonderful girl, will have this to say for her wedding – on a most inauspicious day: It will have been attended by someone who understood to the very narrow of his bones what 'commitment,' and 'dedication' and 'family' meant. And he will have blessed that occasion by his presence. What should happen, will happen. For her, not because of her:
I hope she gets that!

Last edited by kjml; 27th Aug 2011 at 11:09.
kjml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Aug 2011, 10:40   #2
kjml
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

Default Re: Fixing the odds

Another/similar storm threatens the far east - just south of Singapore - even as we speak. There is no irony here. Just a knowledge that what we fear and what we face is universal.
I am not a religous man and yet I say, God bless them all.
Go figure . . .
Old 28th Aug 2011, 5:17   #3
Beth
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjml View Post

“what will I do tomorrow?”
Elope! ;~
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2011, 7:34   #4
kjml
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth View Post
Elope! ;~
This is the option I would have chosen: but bridezillas have an agenda that does not allow this simple device. (Even her father, the dupe, is in for this nonsense!)

Here's a compromise: we allow all marriages of whatever to whatsoever other, so long as all involved agree to 'Leave The Rest Of Us the $%@# Out Of It,' Period. Wouldn't it be nicer that way . . .? (No more invitations, no more drama, no more silliness-beyond-all-recognition.) We could even develop a cost efficient trade in no-account wedding gifts.) Re-gifting would reach an all-time high, of course, but that might result in increasing the odds that you might receive - eventually - something you actually want!
Yes, Beth, you are on to something here!

Is it because they are young, merely, or are all people in love this insufferably selfish? Tomorrow is August 22nd: or, as they would have it, Day 1.
Arghh!