is beyond help

Default Twitter

Who here tweets?
Old 24th Mar 2009, 0:41   #2
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Default Re: Twitter

Well, you know I do. I love it. Twitter is one of those things that, when first explained to you, seems unutterably stupid and pointless, but which is really rather brilliant. It's become one of my regular stops on any online visit - email, blog, Palimp, Twitter.

Aside from the social networking with your peers thing, the unusual thing about it is that it gives you a false sense of intimacy with famous people. You tend to assume that because you can see their tweets, they can see yours. Stephen Fry is the most well-known Twitterer - he has a third of a million followers - but for entertaining tweeting I'm more a fan of Graham Linehan and Jimmy Carr. Occasionally I will get a reply from one of them to a comment I've made, and I feel simultaneously rather pleased and slightly pathetic.

From a celebrity's point of view I suspect the attraction lies in having direct contact with fans. Someone like Jonathan Ross actually spends most of his Twitter time replying to people individually. It also acts as a leveller not just because of the aforementioned false sense of mutuality, but also because we wonder no longer what famous people do in the evenings - they sit at home watching TV and going on the computer, like most of the rest of us.

Guilty pleasure tweets for me are from Gyles Brandreth and Paul Daniels. The former is extremely prolific and with typical verbosity, spreads his tweets over two or three messages. (He is currently editing his diaries for autumn publication, and keeps a running commentary.) The latter talks about all sorts of things, and occasionally strays into Daily Mail territory with a brief rant today against political correctness and how racism (I don't think I'm misquoting him) is mainly the fault of blacks ("As for racism, sadly so much of it comes from the black side of society and the do gooders"). I tried to ingratiate myself with him using gil's name, but to no avail.

And there is something slightly queasy about hearing from Jimmy Carr and Jonathan Ross about their daily tennis matches at Ross's place. I keep expecting Tarby and Brucie to turn up for a game of doubles.
Old 24th Mar 2009, 0:49   #3
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Thanks for the Jimmy Carr heads up...Christ, how prolific is he??!

I enjoyed Charlie Brooker's pathetic but human shout out for journalistic input: "Any of you lot spot anything especially absurd on the news, do tweet me." Bless, Charlie, course we will.

Graham Linehan really is an interesting guy, though, I have to say, and it's obvious that a lot of these chaps (Peter Serafinowicz, Alan Davies, him) all communicate by the medium now. They always seem to be cross-talking.
Old 24th Mar 2009, 8:53   #4
fanshawe
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

I'm in that tentative toe-testing stage with Twitter. I don't have many followers, so anytime I post an update it's like I'm talking in an empty room. Like the celeb updates though.

fanshawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Mar 2009, 10:05   #5
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

I imagine that once a person starts and gets a following, it's hard to stop, becoming self-perpetuating. It's why I never really have kept up with my LiveJournal accounts, other than checking in how friends are, or begun a blog as the really successful ones take a lot of time and work that has to be kept up.
Old 24th Mar 2009, 10:07   #6
John Self
Administrator

What's your username, fanshawe?
Old 24th Mar 2009, 10:14   #7
Daveybot
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

I think I signed up but haven't done anything. I probably forgot my password, too, and I couldn't even be entirely sure that my name there is even Daveybot. It should be, though, so I'll maybe go dig around there some time and see what I can find.

Other than that, I simply haven't got round to it yet. Perhaps some people who already use it can tell me:

Is it the equivalent of an RSS reader combined with your own blog (not disimilar to Google Reader's comments/sharing features) but all in 140 characters or less? I don't mean to put it down at all - it's clearly bloody popular, but as JS mentioned: it doesn't sound that exciting from first glance.
Daveybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Mar 2009, 10:25   #8
fanshawe
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self View Post
What's your username, fanshawe?
Unfortunately, it's badjoojoo. I'm pretty poor at thinking up usernames.

fanshawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Mar 2009, 10:42   #9
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Just sent you a request, f.

Daveybot...I'm following you, so you'd bloody well better had start updating!
Old 24th Mar 2009, 10:43   #10
John Self
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveybot View Post
Is it the equivalent of an RSS reader combined with your own blog (not disimilar to Google Reader's comments/sharing features) but all in 140 characters or less?
I suppose it is, now you put it like that.

Is this you?