|28th Dec 2007, 16:01||#11|
is a Palimpsester Extraordinaire
Join Date: 29 Sep 2005
Re: Palimplists 2008
45. Divisadero - Michael Ondaatje ½ (12/1-12/14)
44. All The King's Men - Robert Penn Warren (11/30)
43. Pale Fire - Vladimir Nabokov (11/16-11/27)
42. This Boy's Life: A Memoir - Tobias Wolff (11/10-11/15)
41. Quartet In Autumn - Barbara Pym (11/5-11/9)
40. Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut (11/6-11/24)
39. Bad Dirt: Wyoming Stories 2 - Annie Proulx (10/26-11/5)
38. Vanilla Bright Like Eminem - Michel Faber (10/21-10/26)
37. The Prague Orgy - Philip Roth (10/20-10/21)
36. The Anatomy Lesson - Philip Roth ½ (10/9-10/19)
35. The March - E.L. Doctorow ½ (10/3-11/6)
34. Zuckerman Bound - Philip Roth ½ (10/1-10/8 )
33. The Ghost Writer -Philip Roth (9/26-9/29)
32. All The Little Live Things - Wallace Stegner (9/14-9/25)
31. The Blue Afternoon - William Boyd (8/25-9/13)
30. Howards End - E.M. Forster ½ (8/26-10/2)
29. When We Were Orphans - Kazuo Ishiguro (8/6-8/23)
28. The Deportees - Roddy Doyle (8/6-8/25)
27. Unaccustomed Earth - Jhumpa Lahiri (7/21-8/5)
26. Girl With A Pearl Earring - (7/21-8/5)
25. Redwall - Brian Jacques (6/23-7/10)
24. Middlemarch - George Eliot (6/9-7/29)
23. Children of Men - P.D. James (6/4-6/20)
22. The Sportswriter - Richard Ford ½ (5/26-6/10)
21. The Razor's Edge - W. Somerset Maugham (5/14-6/3)
20. Islands In The Stream - Ernest Hemingway ½ (5/12-5/24)
19. Old School - Tobias Wolff (5/5-5/11)
18. The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls (4/27-5/4)
17. Naked - David Sedaris (4/24-4/27)
16. The Master - Colm Toibin (4/14-5/12)
15. The English Patient - Michael Ondaatje (4/6-4/22)
... Gentlemen of the Road - Michael Chabon (abandoned)
14. A Month In The Country - J.L. Carr ½ (3/31-4/4)
13. Some Rain Must Fall - Michel Faber ½ (3/24-3/31)
12. The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath (3/15-3/23)
11. The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - Douglas Adams (3/3-3/14)
10. The Secret River - Kate Grenville (3/3-3/31)
09. After Dark - Haruki Murakami ½ (2/18-2/29)
08. Money - Martin Amis ½ (2/11-3/3)
07. Stolen Season - David Lamb (2/3-2/11)
06. A Room With A View - E. M. Forster ½ (2/1-2/14)
05. The Awakening - Kate Chopin (1/20-2/1)
04. No Country For Old Men - Cormac McCarthy (1/26-2/2)
03. Hunger - Lan Samantha Chang (1/21-1/25)
02. The Easter Parade - Richard Yates (1/5-20)
01. The Virgin Suicides - Jeffrey Eugenides (1/1 - 1/4)
Last edited by Paul; 16th Dec 2008 at 19:32.
|28th Dec 2007, 18:29||#12|
is a palimpsestin' fool!
Join Date: 10 Feb 2006
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Re: Palimplists 2008
106 Don't Get Fooled Again - Richard Wilson
105 The Crossroads - Niccolo Ammaniti
104 Our Man In Havanna - Graham Greene 1/2
103 Land of Marvels - Barry Unsworth
102 Sorbonne Confidential - Lauren Zuckermann
101 Castle In The Clouds - Monica Janssens
100 One Step Behind - Henning Mankell
99 I'm Not Scared - Niccolo Amanniti
98 The Sinister Side - James Hall
97 The Grasshopper - Anton Chekhov
96 One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey (Unabridged Audio)
95 The Behaviour of Moths - Poppy Adams
94 Beware of Pity - Stefan Zweig
93 Exit Music - Ian Rankin (Unabridged Audio)
92 The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde 1/2
91 The Secret Scripture - Sebastian Barry 1/2
90 The Raven - Edgar Allen Poe
89 The Turn of the Screw - Henry James
88 Binu and The Great Wall - Su Tong 1/2
87 North and South - Elizabeth Gaskell
86 The Woods - Harlan Coben (Unabridged Audio)
85 Typhoon - Charles Cumming 1/2
84 Glenfarron - Jonathan Falla (Added a star upon reviewing.)
83 Catholics - Brian Moore 1/2
82 The Bachelors - Adalbert Stifter 1/2
-- Falling Man - Don DeLillo (Unabridged Audio)(Abandoned)
81 The White Tiger - Aravind Adiga
80 Burning Secret - Stefan Zweig
79 Amok and Other Stories - Stefan Zweig
78 Mothers and Sons - Colm Toibin
77 The Lesson of the Master - Henry James
76 The World According to Bertie - Alexander McCall Smith
75 Short Story September
- The £1,000,000 Banknote - Mark Twain
- The Other Two - Edith Wharton
- The Yellow Wallpaper - Charlotte Perkins Gilman
- A Pair of Silk Stockings - Kate Chopin
- The Overcoat - Nikolai Gogol
74 This is Not About Me - Janice Galloway
73 Helpless - Barbara Gowdy
72 The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
71 Doctor Glas - Hjalmar Soderberg
70 Author, Author! - David Lodge (Unabridged Audio) 1/2
69 Late Nights on Air - Elizabeth Hay
68 The Chocolate War - Robert Cormier
67 The Book of Chameleons - Jose Agualusa
66 The Road of Bones - Anne Fine
65 A Case of Exploding Mangoes - Mohammed Hanif
64 Romanno Bridge - Andrew Greig 1/2
63 Cleave - Edited by Sharon Blackie
62 The Radetzky March - Joseph Roth
61 Lorraine Connection - Dominque Manotti 1/2
60 Country of the Grand - Gerard Donovan
59 Glister - John Burnside
58 The Good Life - Jay McInerny
57 The Ice Princess - Camilla Läckberg 1/2
56 Being Emily - Anne Donovan
55 The Death of Dalziel - Reginald Hill (Unabridged Audio) 1/2
54 Where Three Roads Meet - Salley Vickers 1/2
53 The Midwich Cuckoos - John Wyndham
52 The Story of A Marriage - Andrew Sean Greer
51 Engleby - Sebastian Faulks 1/2
50 The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets - Eva Rice
49 The Colour of Blood - Brian Moore
48 The Fifth Woman - Henning Mankell
47 The Naming of the Dead - Ian Rankin
46 Michael Kohlhaas - Heinrich von Kleist
45 The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum - Heinrich Boell
44 First Among Sequels - Jasper Fforde
43 The Artificial Silk-Girl - Irmgard Keun
42 The Falconer - Alice Thompson
41 Planet Germany - Cathy Dobson
40 A Small Weeping - Alex Gray (Unabridged Audio)
39 The Blue Flower - Penelope Fitzgerald
38 The Oxford Murders - Guillermo Martinez
37 The Man In the Window - K O Dahl
-- The Inheritance of Loss - Kiran Desai (Unabridged audio) (Abandoned)
36 Trauma - Patrick McGrath
35 The Yellow Wallpaper - Charlotte Perkins Gilman (Review pending)
34 Pandora In The Congo - Albert Sánchez Piñol
33 A Pack of Lies - Geraldine McCaughrean (Unabridged Audio)
32 Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy 1/2
31 Fault Lines - Nancy Huston 1/2
30 I, Robot - Isaac Asimov (Unabridged Audio)
29 Death In Rome - Wolfgang Koeppen 1/2
28 Ghost Town - Patrick McGrath 1/2
27 The One from The Other - Phillip Kerr 1/2
-- Vienna - Eva Menasse (Abandoned)
26 Peripheral Vision - Patricia Ferguson 1/2
-- The Blackest Bird - Joel Rose (Abandoned)
25 Innocent Traitor - Alison Weir (Unabridged Audio)
24 Bartleby The Scrivener - Herman Melville
23 A Partisan's Daughter - Louis De Bernieres
22 The Great Victorian Collection - Brian Moore
21 The Secret River - Kate Grenville
20 The Road - Cormac McCarthy (Unabridged Audio)
19 Fall on Your Knees - Ann-Marie MacDonald
18 The Cry of the Owl - Patricia Highsmith
17 Down to a Sunless Sea - Matthias B Freese
-- The Worms of Euston Square - William Sutton (Abandoned)
16 Never Somewhere Else - Alex Gray (Unabridged Audio)
15 Certainty - Madeleine Thien 1/2
14 The Stone Diaries - Carol Shields
13 The Book of Words - Jenny Erpenbeck
12 The Touchstone / Souls Belated - Edith Wharton
11 The Invisible Man - H G Wells (Unabridged Audio)
10 I Am Mary Dunne - Brian Moore 1/2
09 Fasting, Feasting - Anita Desai 1/2
08 The Long Delirious Burning Blue - Sharon Blackie
07 A Vengeful Longing - R N Morris
06 The Grey Woman - Elizabeth Gaskell
05 Cousin Phyllis - Elizabeth Gaskell (Unabridged Audio)
04 A Gentle Axe - R N Morris
03 The Power and the Glory - Graham Greene
-- The Decameron - Giovanni Boccaccio (Abandoned)
02 The Bower Bird - Ann Kelley
01 Lies of Silence - Brian Moore
Masterpiece Excellent Enjoyable Dodgy Why did I bother?
Reviews at Lizzy's Literary Life
Last edited by Lizzy Siddal; 6th Jan 2009 at 19:22.
|28th Dec 2007, 18:33||#13|
is a palimpsestin' fool!
Join Date: 28 Apr 2006
Re: Palimplists 2008
76. Clockers - Richard Price
75. Wishful Drinking - Carrie Fisher
74. The Holy City - Patrick McCabe
73. Fergus - Brian Moore
72. The Emperor Of Ice-Cream - Brian Moore
71. A Long, Long Way - Sebastian Barry
70. Through Black Spruce - Joseph Boyden
69. A Closed Book - Gilbert Adair
68. Buenas Noches Buenos Aires - Gilbert Adair
67. Three Day Road - Joseph Boyden
66. Our Story Begins - Tobias Wolff
65. The Knife Of Never Letting Go - Patrick Ness
64. The Changeling - Robin Jenkins
63. Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day - Winifred Watson
62. No Other Life - Brian Moore
61. Wish Her Safe At Home - Stephen Benatar
60. This Is Not About Me - Janice Galloway
59. Revolutionary Road - Richard Yates
58. The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
57. Lanark - Alasdair Gray
56. Lush Life - Richard Price
55. The Fire Gospel - Michel Faber
54. The Story Of A Marriage - Andrew Sean Greer
53. The Truth Commissioner - David Park
--. A Fraction Of The Whole - Steve Toltz - Abandoned!
52. Night Work - Thomas Glavinic
51. Child 44 - Tom Rob Smith
50. Sea Of Poppies - Amitav Ghosh
49. From A To X - John Berger
48. The White Tiger - Aravind Adiga
47. The Clothes On Their Backs - Linda Grant
46. A Case Of Exploding Mangoes - Mohammed Hanif
45. Something To Answer For - P.H. Newby surprisingly enjoyable.
44. The Spare Room - Helen Garner
43. Disguise - Hugo Hamilton
42. Mobius Dick - Andrew Crumey
41. The Falconer - Alice Thompson
40. Trauma - Patrick McGrath
39. The Diving-Bell & The Butterfly - Jean-Dominique Bauby
38. The Cone-Gatherers - Robin Jenkins
37. Glister - John Burnside
36. Breath - Tim Winton
35. A Month In The Country - J.L. Carr
34. Asylum - Patrick McGrath
33. The Impostor - Damon Galgut
32. Hothouse - Brian Aldiss
31. Netherland - Joseph O'Neill
30. Evening Is The Whole Day - Preeta Samarasan
29. The Lost Dog - Michelle De Kretser
28. The Siege Of Krishnapur - JG Farrell
27. Firmin - Sam Savage
26. Sputnik Caledonia - Andrew Crumey
25. Cold Heaven - Brian Moore
24. Once Upon A Time In The North - Philip Pullman
23. The Good Doctor - Damon Galgut
22. The Secret Scripture - Sebastian Barry
21. Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut
20. Offshore - Penelope Fitzgerald
19. Kieron Smith, boy - James Kelman
18. The Voluptuous Delights of Peanut Butter and Jam - Lauren Liebenberg
--. The Rowing Lesson - Anne Landsman - on hold
17. Born Yesterday: the news as a novel - Gordon Burn
16. Pavel & I - Dan Vyleta
15. Hangover Square - Patrick Hamilton
14. Watch Me Disappear - Jill Dawson
13. Lies Of Silence - Brian Moore
12. Oleander, Jacaranda: A Childhood Perceived - Penelope Lively
11. The Brief Wondrous Life Of Oscar Wao - Junot Diaz
10. Pilcrow - Adam Mars-Jones
09. His Illegal Self - Peter Carey
08. The Northern Clemency - Philip Hensher
07. Alma Cogan - Gordon Burn
06. The Invention Of Morel - Adolfo Bioy Casares
05. The Butt - Will Self
04. The Waters Of Thirst - Adam Mars-Jones
03. Submarine - Joe Dunthorne
02. The Statement - Brian Moore
01. Oscar And Lucinda - Peter Carey
Last edited by paddyjoe; 2nd Jan 2009 at 18:38.
|28th Dec 2007, 18:45||#14|
is a Regular
Join Date: 25 Feb 2006
Re: Palimplists 2008
001. The Devil in the Flesh-Raymond Radiguet
002. The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-town America-Bill Bryson
003. The Fortunes of Wangrin-Amadou Hampate Ba
004. Miss Smilla's Sense of Snow-Peter Hoeg
005. I, the Divine- Rabih Alameddine
006. The Rape of Sita-Lindsey Collen
Last edited by abecedarian; 21st Jan 2008 at 19:50.
|28th Dec 2007, 18:54||#15|
eats too much cheese
Join Date: 16 Dec 2003
Re: Palimplists 2008
Sweet Mother of Palimp, that's early! And I find myself a lowly back-pager this year. These young palimp-whippersnappers have no respect for their elders, etc, etc. I'm writing to my Congressman, etc.
Jerkass's Palimplist 2008
1. The War of the Worlds, H.G. Wells
2. Great English Short Stories, Dover Thrift Edition, Paul Negri, ed.
3. Prince Caspian, C.S. Lewis
4. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, C.S. Lewis
5. The Horse and His Boy, C.S. Lewis
6. The Mayor of Casterbridge, Thomas Hardy
7. The Silver Chair, C.S. Lewis
Look at me, I done read a book. Well, seven, apparently.
"I learned never to drink anything out of a jar labeled 'w-i-s-k-i.'"
Last edited by Jerkass; 31st Dec 2008 at 18:30.
|28th Dec 2007, 19:27||#16|
has the freedom of Palimp City
Re: Palimplists 2008
You're still ahead of me though Jerkass - happy to be under you (oo err missus!)
40. Clare Clarke - The Great Stink - The book by my bedside at the Grandparents, not bad. A bit convoluted and the endless descriptions of self harm wore on a bit but otherwise a good Christmas break read. Great descriptions of stinky London fog!
39. Brian Fagan - From Stonehenge to Samarkand: An Anthology of Archaeological Travel Writing Actually a Christmas present from a year ago (or maybe two) but only really picking it up now until I buy Lolita!
38. William Boyd - Restless brilliant, this was everything that The Russian Interpreter was not!
37. Kent Haruf - The Tie that Binds Not quite as moving as the duo of Plainsong and Eventide, but pretty darn great nonetheless!
36. Kent Haruf - Eventide Brilliant, a good sequel to Plainsong carrying on the characters' stories and developing others along side them.
35. Michael Frayn - the Russian Interpreter meh, since Spies I've not been very impressed.
34. Sue Monk Kidd - the secret life of bees I think, on reflection, nothing challenging here but a nice story about coming to terms with ones own history.
31, 32, 33 Robertson Davies - The Salterton Trilogy for the first, Tempest Tost followed by - for the others, Leaven of Malice and A Mixture of Frailties. He remains firmly one of my favourite writers.
30. Louis de Berniers- Birds Without Wings Not my favourite of his (and I know he's not very revered around here) but still a good . Happy and sad at turns.
29. Kent Haruf - Plainsong a whopping . Beautiful read, must get hold of the others now.
28. Kazuo Ishiguro - Remains of the Day Great holiday read, though how frustratingly blind Stevens was, and how bloody restrained!
27. PD James - Children of Men wow, I'd forgotten how much I liked this, and how different is was from the film. Glad to have reread it.
26. Dai Sije - Mr Muo's Travelling Couch meh
25. Robert Bausch - A Hole in the Earth
24: Ian MacEwan - On Chesil Beach oh my goodness, why don't people talk properly?!
23: Terry Pratchett - Making money like pretty much all Pratchetts
22: CS Lewis - The Magician's Nephew I've got a single volume complete Narnia book, working my way back through them.
21: Magnus Mills - The Restraint of Beasts / how strange it is!
20: Sebastian Faulkes - On Green Dolphin Street
19: Jennifer Clement - The Poison the Fascinates
18: Italo Calvino - If on a Winter's Night a Traveller . Loved it, just like Stewart said I would!
17: Italo Calvino - The Castle of Crossed Destinies given up, just like Stewart said I would!
16: Italo Svevo - Xenos Conscience
15: EM Forster - Where Angels Fear to Tread
14: Amanda Prantera - Zoe Trope
13: William Boyd - Any Human Heart WOW.
12: Daniel Defoe- A Journal of the Plague Year abandoned cos though the subject is interesting, the delivery is frankly dull
11: Bill Bryson - Shakespeare
10: Peter Hoeg - The Quiet Girl I think this might be better if I read it again in more of a solid sitting rather than stretched out. It jumps about a bit.
9: Philip Pullman - Once upon a time in the North
8: Marilyn Robinson- Gilead
7: anna Funder - Stasiland
6: Dickens - Great Expectations
5: Colm Toibin- The South
4: Ackroyd - The Thames; from source to sea current (literally!)
3: W Faulkner - Absalom Absalom - FINALLY!!!
2: Cormac McCarthy - The Road Wow!
1: John Fante - The Bandini Quartet (to maybe ) Liked but not loved, the first one the best.
Ackroyd's - The Thames
'Don't grow up, just find a bigger playground'
Annie Proulx- Barkskins
Book list | Flickr
Last edited by Digger; 8th Jan 2009 at 8:19. Reason: I read some more
|28th Dec 2007, 21:09||#17|
eats too much cheese
Join Date: 27 Jun 2003
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire
Re: Palimplists 2008
1: The Children of Hurin J.R.R. Tolkein
2: Stephanie Pearl-McPhee Cast's Off
3: Anne of Avonlea L.M. Montgomery (audiobook)
4: Neverwhere: the author's preferred text Neil Gaiman
5: Children of the Raj Vyvyen Brendon
6: The Body in the Library Agatha Christie
7: The Service of All the Dead Colin Dexter
8: The Discovery of Insulin Michael Bliss
9: A Bone of Contention Susannah Gregory
10: Something Rotten Jasper Fforde
11: Russka Edward Rutherford
12: Odd and the Frost Giants Neil Gaiman
13: The Thirteen Problems Agatha Christie
14: Earthly Joys Philippa Gregory
15: Mistress of the Art of Death Ariana Franklin
16: Virgin Earth Philippa Gregory
17: The Gentle Art of Domesticity Jane Brocket
18: Bettany's Book Thomas Keneally
19: The Spice Route John Keay
20: Anne of the Island L. M. Montgomery (audiobook)
21: Persuasion Jane Austen
22: Highlander: The Element of Fire Jason Henderson
23: A Tournament of Murders Paul Doherty
24: The Moving Finger Agatha Christie
25: The Hangman's Hymn Paul Doherty
26: The Borgia Bride Jeanne Kalogridis
27: Roma Steven Saylor
28: Murder's Immortal Mask Paul Doherty
29: The Dead of Jericho Colin Dexter
30: A Tapestry of Murders Paul Doherty
31: Monsoon Diary Shoba Narayan
32: The Glass Palace Amitav Ghosh
33: The Riddle of the Third Mile Colin Dexter
34: The Kingdom by the Sea Paul Theroux
35: A Murder is Announced Agatha Christie
36: Bridge of Birds Barry Hughart
37: The Templar Paul Doherty
38: The Death Maze Ariana Franklin
39: Man walks into a pub: a sociable history of beer Pete Brown
40: East of the Sun Julia Gregson
41: Pies and Prejudice: in search of the North Stuart Maconie
42: Dancing with Demons Peter Tremayne
43: The Council of the Cursed Peter Tremayne
44: Wives of the East Wind Liu Hong
45: Amenable Women Mavis Cheek
46: Red state, blue state, rich state, poor state : why Americans vote the way they do Andrew Gelman (abandoned)
47: The Library at Night Alberto Manguel
48: Anne's House of Dreams L.M. Montgomery
49: Guns, germs and steel Jared Diamond
50: The Keeper of Secrets Judith Cutler
51: Belly dancing: unlock the secrets of ancient dance Rosina-Fawzia Al-Rawi
52: They Do It With Mirrors Agatha Christie
53: Six Thousand Years of Bread: it's holy and unholy history H.E. Jacob
54: People of the Book Geraldine Brooks
55:Taste: the story of Britain through its cooking Kate Colquhoon
56: A Chalet Girl from Kenya Elinor M. Brent-Dyer
57: It Itches Franklin Habit
58: The Island Victoria Hislop
59: Tales of Beadle the Bard J.K. Rowling
The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts working the moment you get up in the morning, and doesn't stop until you get into the office
Last edited by pandop; 2nd Jan 2009 at 16:08.
|28th Dec 2007, 22:30||#18|
is a Palimpsester Extraordinaire
Join Date: 17 Apr 2007
Re: Palimplists 2008
1. The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank
2. The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie
3. Address Unknown by Kressman Taylor
4. Oblomov by Ivan Goncharov
5. Duncton Wood by William Horwood (r)
6. Good Morning, Midnight by Reginald Hill
7. Last Bus to Woodstock by Colin Dexter
8. Clear by Nicola Barker
9. Last Seen Wearing by Colin Dexter
10. The Silent World of Nicholas Quinn by Colin Dexter
11. The Dead of Jericho by Colin Dexter
12. The Cleft by Doris Lessing -
13. What Was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn
14. Service of All The Dead by Colin Dexter
15. The Death of Ivan Illyich by Leo Tolstoy
16. The Secret of Annexe 3 by Colin Dexter
17. The Riddle of the Third Mile by Colin Dexter
18. The Wench is Dead by Colin Dexter
19. The Jewel that was Ours by Colin Dexter
20. Stuart: A Life Backwards by Alexander Masters
21. The Way Through the Woods by Colin Dexter
22. I'm The King of the Castle by Susan Hill
23. Death Is Now My Neighbour by Colin Dexter
24. The Remorseful Day by Colin Dexter
25. Devil May Care by Sebastian Faulks
26. The Welsh Girl by Peter Ho Davies
27. Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
28. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (r)
29. Netherland by Joseph O'Neill
30. Mirror, Mirror by Gregory Maguire
31. Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis
32. The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (r) I knew this wasn't the book to break me out of my <reading pattern, so why did I pick it up?
33. The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan (r)
34. The Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan (r) the last of my Jordan re-reads this year; thankfully I left the rest of the series at my parents' house
35. Divisadero by Michael Ondaatje
36. The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry
37. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (r)
38. The Spare Room by Helen Garner
39. Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C. S. Lewis (r)
40. Emma by Jane Austen (r)
41. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (r)
November & December
Last edited by BeccaK; 18th Dec 2008 at 11:35.
|28th Dec 2007, 23:05||#19|
has nowt better to do
Join Date: 17 Aug 2005
Location: Leeds and Warwick
Re: Palimplists 2008
U = for university, R = reread
[I'm trying to do quite a lot more background reading this year so a lot of this will be uni stuff. Am quite happy to comment and discuss anything I read in this context, just don't feel right rating it given that I skim, backtrack and get frustrated with note-taking far too much to evaluate the texts properly. Promise to review anything that merits it though.]
Complete Works - C.P. Cavafy
Henry IV Part I - William Shakespeare
The Genius of Shakespeare - Jonathan Bate
35. Love's Labour's Lost - William Shakespeare (U)
34. The Quiet American - Graham Greene (U)
33. Dorian - Will Self
32. The Steep Approach to Garbadale - Iain Banks
31. The Beauty Myth - Naomi Wolf
30. A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess (U)
29. The Girls of Slender Means - Muriel Spark (U)
28. Robinson Crusoe - Daniel Defoe (U)
27. Collected Poems - Philip Larkin
26. The Master and Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov ½
25. God Is Not Great: The Case Against Religion - Christopher Hitchens
24. A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson (R)
23. The Road to Wigan Pier - George Orwell
22. Coming Up For Air - George Orwell
21. Keep the Aspidistra Flying - George Orwell
20. Burmese Days - George Orwell
19. Down and Out in Paris and London - George Orwell
18. Regime Change - Christopher Hitchens
17. Intelligent Thought: Science Versus the Intelligent Design Movement - ed. John Brockman
16. Unacknowledged Legislation: Writers in the Public Sphere - Christopher Hitchens
15. Frames of Mind: The Theory of Multiple Intelligences - Howard Gardner (U)
14. The System of the World - Neal Stephenson
(Insert hiatus here where Jennifer reads a lot of rubbish and generally forgets to be intelligent or write down what she's read)
13. The Anxiety of Influence - Harold Bloom (U)
12. Literary Theory: An Introduction - Terry Eagleton (U, R)
11. Tess of the d'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy (U, R)
10. Aurora Leigh - Elizabeth Barrett Browning (U)
09. Intelligence: A Very Short Introduction - Ian J. Deary (U, and lol. The irony of this does not escape me.)
08. The Idiot - Fyodor Dostoevsky
07. Selling Olga: Stories of Human Trafficking and Resistance - Louisa Waugh (U)
06. The Mill on the Floss - George Eliot (U,R)
05. Yoga for People Who Can't Be Bothered to Do It - Geoff Dyer (U)
04. North and South - Elizabeth Gaskell (U)
03. At the Mountains of Madness - H.P. Lovecraft (U)
02. Lady Audley's Secret - Mary Elizabeth Braddon (U)
01. Little Dorrit - Charles Dickens
Oh, the Humanities.
Last edited by Jennifer; 2nd Oct 2008 at 0:33.
|28th Dec 2007, 23:36||#20|
has nowt better to do
Join Date: 26 Nov 2005
Re: Palimplists 2008
On the go:
Basic Writings of Nietzsche, 800 pages. April 4th to...
Collected Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges, 515 pages. August 16th to...
A pile of shorter works in over-priced "course kits" from school
61. Life of Galileo by Bertolt Brecht, 113 pages. 16th-18th. (U)
60. ½ The Navigator of New York by Wayne Johnston, 483 pages. 9th-16th.
59. Travels in the Scriptorium by Paul Auster, 145 pages. 8th-9th.
58. Chess Story by Stefan Zweig, 84 pages. 8th. (U)
57. Child of God by Cormac McCarthy, 197 pages. 7th-8th.
56. The Tunnel by William H. Gass, 652 pages. October 2nd to Nov. 6th
55. The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde, 54 pages. 3rd. (U)
54. ½ The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster, 308 pages. September 26th to 1st.
RIP David Foster Wallace
53. ½ The Loved One by Evelyn Waugh, 164 pages. 25th. (U)
52. Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, 268 pages. 24th. (U)
51. The Artificial Silk Girl by Irmgard Keun, 192 pages. 23rd. (U)
50. Animal Farm by George Orwell, 97 pages. 21-22nd. (U)(R)
49. Gentlemen by Bob Gendron, 114 pages. 19th. Non-Fiction.
48. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, 111 pages. 15th-16. (U)
47. I Am Legend by Richard Matheson, 170 pages. 12-13th.
46. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells, 86 pages. 12th. (U)
45. The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka, 50 pages. 6th. (U)(R)
44. A Canticle For Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr., 334 pages. 24th to 31st (U)
43. Coming Through Slaughter by Michael Ondaatje, 160 pages. 15th to 16th.
42. Underworld by Don Delillo, 827 pages. July 30th to August 15th.
41. Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie, 211 pages. 21st to 29th.
40. Inventory by Dionne Brand, 100 pages. Long poem. 20th (U)
39. Goodnight Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet) by Ann-Marie MacDonald, 89 pages. Play. 20th (U)
38. Barnacle Love by Anthony De Sa, 214 pages. 16th to 20th (U)
37. ¼ Green Grass, Running Water by Thomas King, 431 pages. 11th to 16th (U)
36. as for me and my house by Sinclair Ross, 234 pages. 6th to 7th (U)
35. Beautiful Losers by Leonard Cohen, 269 pages. 1st to 6th (U)
34. 1491 by Charles C. Mann, 366 pages. January 14th to June 30th. Nonfiction History.
33. Barometer Rising by Hugh MacLennan, 219 pages. 24th to 30th (U)
32. A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle, 309 pages. 21st to 23rd.
31. ½ The Children's Hospital by Chris Adrian, 615 pages. 5th to 20th.
30. ½ The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolaño, 648 pages. May 22nd to June 4th.
29. Stories by Anton Chekhov, 454 pages. March 6th to May 13th.
28. The Bible in Translation by Bruce M. Metzger, 190 pages. May 5th to 8th. Non-fiction. (U)
27. The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco, 502 pages. April 23rd to May 3rd.
26. Little, Big by John Crowley, 538 pages. 15th to 22nd.
25. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Márquez, 417 pages. 7th to 15th.
24. Critical Reasoning by William Hughes, 277 pages. 6th to 9th. Non-fiction. (U)
23. Sainte-Carmen of the Main a play by Michel Tremblay, 68 pages. April 5th. (U)
22. How To Win An Argument by Michael A. Gilbert, 163 pages. April 2nd. Non-fiction. (U)
21. ½ Who Do You Think You Are? by Alice Munro, 219 pages. March 31 to April 1st. (U)
20. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, 192 pages.
19. Light Years by James Salter, 308 pages. 11th to 13th.
18. Arcadian Adventures with the Idle Rich by Stephen Leacock, 211 pages. 7th to 10th. (U)
17. Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy, 337 pages. 2nd to 7th.
16. Rock Springs by Richard Ford, 245 pages. February 28th to March 6th.
15. Mind Over Mood by Dennis Greenberger, 243 pages. Non-fiction. (U)
14. Agapē Agape by William Gaddis, 112 pages. 20th.
13. ½ In the Skin of a Lion by Michael Ondaatje, 244 pages. 15th to 16th. (U)
12. ½ The End of the Road by John Barth, 188 pages. 12th to 14th.
11. Son of a Smaller Hero by Modecai Richler, 207 pages. 10th to 12th. (U)
10. Lives of the Saints by Nino Ricci, 248 pages. 8th to 10th. (U)
09. ½ Maria Chapdelaine by Louis Hémon, 162 pages. 7th to 8th. (U)
08. ½ Roughing it in the Bush by Susanna Moodie, 237 pages. January 25th to February 7th. (U)
07. Independence Day by Richard Ford, 451 pages. 22nd to 31st.
06. ¾ The Floating Opera by John Barth, 252 pages. 12th to 14th.
05. ½ Half-Breed by Maria Campbell, 184 pages. 10th to 12th. Memoir. (U)
04. ½ Black Robe by Brian Moore, 183 pages. 8th to 10th. (U)
03. ½ The Wars by Timothy Findley, 218 pages. January 7th. (U)
02. The World Without Us by Alan Weisman, 275 pages. 5th to 6th. Non-fiction.
01. The Collapse of Globalism by John Ralston Saul, 280 pages. December 26th to January 4th. Non-fiction.
U = University, R = Reread
Last edited by ions; 19th Nov 2008 at 2:36.
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|US Presidential Election 2008||Wavid||Politics & Society||541||18th Apr 2011 18:25|
|Booker Prize 2008||Ang||Book Reviews||562||22nd Oct 2008 13:00|
|The Year 2008...||aquablue||General Chat||56||19th Jun 2008 18:10|
|The Book Group: November 2007 - March 2008||amner||Navel Gazing||102||4th Jun 2008 1:20|