Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Film Reviews

Old 10th May 2007, 20:10   #1
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

has the freedom of Palimp City

Default Nothing

NOTHING

Two losers cling to each other for survival in life. David (David Hewlett) is self-centred and a bit of a user. Andrew (Andrew Miller) is clinically nervous and agoraphobic. Together they just about keep each other sane, or at least no more insane, until David announces he's moving out - before the end of the day accusations of child abuse, charges of embezzlement, notification of same-day eviction, the iminent destruction of Andrew's family home and the girlfriendily abandonment of David's heart drive them to a devastating low and the verge of incarceration. The house is surrounded by a world baying for their blood. There's no escape. If only Everything would just go away and leave them alone! Then it does.

Silence. Outside their front door, their windows, above and beneath the house - there is Nothing. Endless, white, boingy Nothing. But they still have cable! Their XBox! Their tortoise! It's fun! They are like the Gods of their own uncreation! So they go crazy.

-

Vincenzo Natali also made a home for himself in my heart when he made Cube, a top example of low-budget Sci-Fi (which also stars the stars of Nothing) and still one of my favourite films. This thing came six years later and to call it a step up would be generously inaccurate - actually, none of his subsequent work has been a patch on Cube. Nothing is a very silly idea probably better suited to an extended sketch than a feature film, but it's good stupid fun (the opening animated backstory made me laugh out loud and is probably the best bit of the film... ah well). It might make more sense without the post-credits final scene, or less sense, its hard to tell - there's not much sense going on here.

Quirky film though.
Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2007, 23:45   #2
John from Paris
Palimpsestarian
laughs in the face of fear

Default Re: Quirky films, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noumenon View Post
Vincenzo Natali also made a home for himself in my heart when he made Cube, a top example of low-budget Sci-Fi (which also stars the stars of Nothing) and still one of my favourite films.
I enjoyed Cube. I've never met anyone else that had seen it.
John from Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2007, 0:00   #3
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Now you've 'met' two.

But Noumenon, speaking personally I really love it when each film is given its own thread, and really don't love it when films are bunched together in one thread...
Old 11th May 2007, 0:10   #4
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Send a message via MSN to Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self View Post
Now you've 'met' two.
Make it three. But I wasn't all that impressed by Cube.

Quote:
But Noumenon, speaking personally I really love it when each film is given its own thread, and really don't love it when films are bunched together in one thread...
I'm like that too. Makes it easier to search on things as the title tends to appear when searched upon. (But I like each book to have separate threads too. )
Old 11th May 2007, 2:56   #5
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

has the freedom of Palimp City

Good thing you mentioned it, I was about to add The Music of Chance to the pile. I don't mind not doing this any more, but I'm not able (so far as I know) to fix the problem I've started. If one of you is willing to split this atom, that will leave the other free to cut my hands off, here, I'll put them on the block. Just, can I have my nice padded keyboard wrist wrest please? Splinters.

PS: I'm feeling nervous because, JS, I see what you are reading and my solitary genuine Amazon review praises it quite a lot. Hope you like it.
Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2007, 8:34   #6
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

I've seen Cube too, and liked it.