wow

wow
Old 15th Jul 2006, 13:37   #2
Daveybot
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Default Re: library thing

Dang, I'll say.

I had a look at Listal a while back, which is a similar idea but also covers music, movies and games. At first glance I'd say this looks better.
Daveybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2006, 19:40   #3
Jennifer
Palimpsestarian
has nowt better to do

I used to use bibliophil.org until I got bored, dodgily organised but with the massive advantage of being completely free. Might actually go back to it, better than the huge spreadsheet I now have.
Old 15th Jul 2006, 21:16   #4
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Spreadsheet?

I just know where everything is

Hazel

pandop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jul 2006, 21:21   #5
Jennifer
Palimpsestarian
has nowt better to do

A good point well made...

No, for keeping track of what I've read, not what I own. Out of a desire to see how well-read, or not, I am.
Old 16th Jul 2006, 10:25   #6
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Fair dos

Keeping track of what you have read can be very useful - I am not so bothered about being (or being seen to be) well read, thanks to an unfortunate encounted with a snobbish English teacher. She just made me all the more determind just to read what I am in the mood for reading

Hazel

pandop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2006, 12:40   #7
HP
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Spreadsheets? Forgive me Jennifer, but mention of such things when used in the context of pleasure (which reading surely is, no?) makes me both shudder and giggle. Spreadsheets, I can only associate with the grey and highly organised world of business and accountancy and those who find beauty in numbers and percentages and go all wet and wanton at the sight of a bottom line. Oh yes - and for people who lovingly keep their shoes in see-through boxes, or worse: in opaque boxes with a polaroid of the enclosed shoes meticulously stuck to the outside. Highly efficient, true, but not entirely healthy, I'm sure.

As for being well-read - well, if proving that you are, or are not, matters that much to you, then I suppose spreadsheets are the way to go ... but shouldn't the joy of just reading really satisfying books be sufficient?
HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2006, 13:02   #8
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyPotts
Oh yes - and for people who lovingly keep their shoes in see-through boxes, or worse: in opaque boxes with a polaroid of the enclosed shoes meticulously stuck to the outside.
What a terrific idea! Actually this is probably something my storage-box-loving girlfriend has already done...
Old 16th Jul 2006, 13:04   #9
Digger
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Send a message via MSN to Digger

Ah Honey, I agree with you, however, I am being forced to moderate my opinions by the newish SO who loves spreadsheets and lists and sniffs huffily when I giggle at his list-making and planning for our trips/weekends/Saturdays. I am forcibly remaining a free spirit plunging into things on the spur of the moment (although I have to admit his list making makes things run very smoothl!)

As to spreadsheets of books I've read - nah, not for me thanks although I do have a note book where I jot down recently finished books and thoughts on them that could definitely be called a list. Shamefully few of these notes have made it into Palimpreview .

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2006, 13:20   #10
HP
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self
What a terrific idea! Actually this is probably something my storage-box-loving girlfriend has already done...
Fer goodness sake, John, don't you dare encourage her. She obviously needs help, or you'll be forever getting nagged to put things away. And what can seem like an endearing passion for neatness in the earlier years of a relationship, soon becomes a bore and a drag and a bone of contention, later on. Nah - encourage her to do as I do and hurl 'em all into the back of the wardrobe ... or throw 'em under the desk, or stairs, or leave 'em where she kicks 'em off in the lobby or the loo or even better - given the scorching weather we're enjoying at the moment - in the fridge. A little anarchy is so liberating (if a little messy)
HP is offline   Reply With Quote