Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Book Reviews

Tags
barrayan, cordelia's honour, lois mcmaster bujold, shards of honour, vorkosigan

Old 4th Mar 2011, 18:18   #11
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Default Re: Cordelia's Honour - Lois McMaster Bujold

There's a Bujold thread already. I was quite taken with her most recent Challion series. I didn't much enjoy the only Vorkosigan one I tried. I think she writes very well, though.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Mar 2011, 10:22   #12
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

Maybe I've not been polite enough towards her writing here but I didn't feel it particularly exciting on the whole, and there were a few strange turns of phrase or word choices that stopped me short. Does it sound normal to anyone for someone to speak lowly? The first time I thought it was a typo, but it cropped up at least once more so clearly she means in a low voice. I forget the exact quotes, but they were something like: "Hide", he said lowly. Still sounds horrible to me.

There were also several times when I found myself frustrated by the splitting off of the story; the two protagonists are seperated but the focus is only and always on Cordelia, which meant that political or action events of potential high interest were simply left as unknowns, from her anxious point of view, then summarised after the fact post-reunion. If the foreground activities are basically little more than extended periods of hiding or imprisonment, I feel that I'm seriously missing out on the better stuff.

There was an open paragraph in the original post, so not knowing what I was going to say I've made up an ending for it... Also, I notice that I've spelt the titles wrongly for US English, so if any moderators fancy combining the threads maybe they could correct that for me too.
Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Mar 2011, 13:13   #13
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

Oh yeah - speaking of erronious spellings, they got the cover right, but the author appeared at the top of every page of the whole book as Luis McMaster Bojold... how annoying must that be.
Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote