Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Top Tens

Old 17th May 2004, 12:02   #1
rick green
Palimpsestarian
could do better

Default Top Ten Places I'd Like To Visit Before I Die

Since we've all been speaking in praise of Top Ten's I thought I'd do a new one just for fun. So here are the Top Ten Places I'd Like To Visit Before I Die.

10) There's this church in Rome where the ceiling is painted in a trompe l'oeil fashion, as if the building goes up & up into the sky with cherubim floating about and whatnot. It's supposed to be one the triumphs of perspectival painting. But it only looks right if you stand in the very center of the church. From any other vantage point, the perspective is distorted & it looks like the building is going to collapse. That'd be nice to see.

9) Australia. Ever since I did a report on it in the 1st grade, I've wanted to go there. And they've got the croc hunter, so there you go.

Wherever there's really cool gypsy music played live. Romania? Istanbul? Budapest? I don't know where exactly, but that music is wild!

7) New Mexico. I was born there and have loads of wonderful memories of the vacations my family spent in Santa Fe and the mountains around Pecos. Those high valleys with their pristine trout streams, ponderosa pines, aspens and columbines are my picture of Eden.

6) Anywhere in a UFO. Wouldn't you?

5) Spain. I don't know, there's just a mystique, isn't there. I mean, why not check it out? And the Spanish schedule sounds very congenial to me.

4) China. Talk about mystique! And the tea--I'd have to bring an extra duffle to get it all back home.

3) Heaven. And naturally . . .

2) Hell--in order to compare the two before deciding on a posthumous residence.

1) Rio? Buenos Aires? Paris? Mexico DF? --or maybe even London? Who can decide. Well, it's all academic anyway. Man's just a leaf in the wind right? So I'll just be content to land wherever the wind blows.
Old 17th May 2004, 12:44   #2
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Most of the places I want to go to before I die are repeat visits: - Andalucia, Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Singapore, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Crete, Rhodes. That makes 8, and I think Crete may be top of the list. The fact that I know them and still want to go back is a recommendation of sorts.

I'll leave the other two choices for the Grand Canyon... an absolute must, and Venice, which I've nearly reached a couple of times and missed for one reason or another.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2004, 14:24   #3
rick green
Palimpsestarian
could do better

I'm nowhere near as well traveled as you gil, I can, however, recommend Venice. I only spent one night there, but I'll never forget it. Another great city I've seen is St. Petersberg. I wouldn't want to visit in the winter though.
Old 17th May 2004, 15:21   #4
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Until I visited New York four years ago (part of my driving-across-the-US honeymoon, dontcha know [polishes nails inna schoolboy stylee]) I always wanted to go somewhere new when I went abroad. Now, I just want to go to New York.

Totally smitten with the place.
Old 17th May 2004, 15:51   #5
NottyImp
the aging anarchist
could do better

Athens and Rome are two I'd like to visit, in the off-season, naturally. China appeals, but I doubt I'll ever have the funds.
Old 17th May 2004, 16:22   #6
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Most of mine are 'returnee' visits - yes to New York again (and Philadelphia too); Prague and Helsinki; parts of the Netherlands.

I want to visit Rome (and Pompeii, alas), and also New Orleans but I'm not too fussed about anywhere else. There are some ridiculous baroque Churrigueresque churches in Mexico it'd be fun to see.
Colyngbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2004, 21:27   #7
rick green
Palimpsestarian
could do better

Quote:
I doubt I'll ever have the funds.
Hey, this fantasy man! I'm curious what appeal New York could have for ye subjects of the crown. Is it the arts? The attitude? What?
Old 17th May 2004, 21:30   #8
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by NottyImp
Athens and Rome are two I'd like to visit, in the off-season, naturally. China appeals, but I doubt I'll ever have the funds.
I don't think there is an off season for Rome! As for Athens, *don't* go at the height of summer, I have Greek friends, and they never go home at that time of year - apparently England is less uncomfortable!

Hazel

pandop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2004, 21:31   #9
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colyngbourne
I want to visit Rome (and Pompeii, alas), and also New Orleans but I'm not too fussed about anywhere else. There are some ridiculous baroque Churrigueresque churches in Mexico it'd be fun to see.
Pompeii is wonderful - it is certainly on my revisit list!

Hazel

pandop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2004, 21:38   #10
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

I think I will have 2 lists:

Places I would like to visit - in no particular order

New York
Japan
China
Aztec and Maya remains in Mexico