Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Top Tens

Old 13th Sep 2003, 1:01   #1
rick green
Palimpsestarian
could do better

Default Rick Green's Top Ten Films

Here's what I came up with for top ten flicks:

1. Dr. Strangelove or How I learned to stop worrying & Love the Bomb

This is a seven-layer-cake of a movie with ice cream on top. It has a manic farcical energy, an absurdist scenario, Peter sellars in a brilliant double role as straight man Mandrake & Mand man Strangelove. It is a profound, terrifying, hysterical vision of irrational humanity in way over it's head.

2. Children of Heaven

This is a beautiful, heartfelt, inspiring Iranian film about simple hearts and the grace of God. The kind of film we could use more of.

3. Bowling for Columbine

Michael Moore's brilliant comic documentary of the tragic state of America at the turn of the century. Touches on many issues that deserve the attention of everyone concerned about the way our world is running.

4. Rushmore

Rushmore is my highschool! The director graduated ih the same class as my brother, and My Mom plays the math teacher Mrs. Whitney in the movie! Besides all that, it's imaginative, funny and very thoughtful--with Bill Murray & a great soundtrack by "angry young men in blazers."

5. Repo Man

Emilio Estevez & Harry Dean Stanton in the best movie about smuggled aliens in the trunck of car that's ever been made. Plate of shrinp special--need I say more?

6. He Got Game

Spike Lee's elegy to the game he loves (as I do.) The opening sequence is as beautiful a cinematic homage to sport as has ever been made. Brothers in slo-mo leaping and dunking in a ballet of basketball set to the sounds of Gershwin--the Orpheus of Modern America.

7. Not One Less

A story of perseverance, the kindness of stangers, and the nameless virtue that is one part unconditional love, one part duty, and one part self-preservation. Based on a true story of a thirteen year old elementary school teacher in rural China.

8. Blues Brothers

Classic movie musical with great performances by Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Cab Calloway, John Lee Hooker, James Brown & others. All of them backed by the best studio band in the land. Great music, great style & a great message of inter-racial appreciation and understanding.

9. The Princess Bride

Wallce Shawn, Andre the Giant, Mandy Patinkin and Billy Crystal round out a brilliant ensemble cast. Excellent Score and Imaginative/Archetypal Story combine for a bit of cinematic serendipity. What's not to like?

10. Akira Kurosawa's Dreams

An amalgam of short vivid bits of cinematic expressionism ranging from apocalyptic nightmare to placid, enlightening vision. Visually stunning throughout.
Old 13th Sep 2003, 11:14   #2
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Quote:
Peter sellars in a brilliant double role
Surely triple role - he played the Prez too...
John Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2003, 3:40   #3
rick green
Palimpsestarian
could do better

Are you sure? :? [/img]
Old 14th Sep 2003, 12:17   #4
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Oh yes. From imdb.com:

Quote:
Cast overview, first billed only:
Peter Sellers .... Capt. Lionel Mandrake/President Merkin Muffley/Dr. Strangelove
Glad to have opened up that crucial eighth layer of the cake for you...
John Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2003, 20:33   #5
rick green
Palimpsestarian
could do better

thank you for correcting my error. I am grateful for your observation and comment.
rg
Old 24th Sep 2003, 10:36   #6
rick green
Palimpsestarian
could do better

Default Sanjuro, I kowtow to thee

I must ammend this top ten list in the light of recent developments. I saw another great movie by Kurosawa, and I just feel like he is way ahead of the pack. Sanjuro, finds the grumpy, nameless samuri with a heart of gold from Yojimbo in a new embroglio. Yojimbo was a good film about a village destroyed by warring factions--thematically similar to Gangs of New York, which I saw reviewed here not long ago. Sanjuro delves into the same idea, but adds new elements that make for a richer, more rewarding experience. In particular, I'm thinking of the samurai's double, the wise and compassionate old woman, the peaceful garden which frames the conflict of the world of men. Kurosawa probes serious, timeless questions by dramatizing them in a rousing, action comedy. Here are young people fired by their sense of justice, blindly opposing the machinating Machiavels of their fathers' generation. (I couldn't help but identify with them considering the disgust I feel for the heartless, neoconservative, imperialist regime that wields power in the world today.) Here is the world wise father figure to guide the foolish young idealists and keep them from doom. Here is humanity caught up in bonds of its own making, laughing at itself seen in the mirror of Nature. I wish more contemporary movie makers had half of the depth and breadth of this visionary. Has anyone else seen this?