Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Palimpsest Forums > Features

Tags
bloody brilliant, cliff knoetz, dan brown, don brawn, robert langdon, the candid voice, the lost symbol, thriller

Old 19th Sep 2009, 20:30   #1
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

has the freedom of Palimp City

Default Cliff Knoetz's "The Candid Voice" - a Don Brawn thriller

I know I've not been posting creative writings here much of late - not sure my rejection letters count for a start - and I'm sorry about that. I'm trying to get something published at the moment, and if that ever happens doubt it not that I'll be mentioning it once or twice, every single day. Naturally though, you must all be hungry for something up to my usual glossy standards in the meantime.

I realise that, of course, over the last week everyone on the Palimp has bought a copy of Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol and is deep in it at this very moment, probably drooling with delight. Junkmonkey for definite, but then he's watching his version via the magic of technology. It probably performs it for him using a digitised rendering of Tom Hanks himself. Voiced by Harrison Ford. So I'll understand if you're too busy at the moment, but...

Those of you in the know will be aware of a fledgeling rival to the globe-spanning adventures of Robert Langdon. Part of my plea bargain, agreed with Cliff Knoetz's legal team, has been to occasionally humble myself by promoting his work, and he has informed me that the first ten chapters of his d├ębut epic are now available for viewing on one of his many websites.

Cliff has instructed me to provide a link and to invite any comments or speculations as to where the action will head from here - in fact, as a final slap in the face, I am compelled from here on in to respond as if I was the actual author of the work in question myself. It's a sad and painful day for me, but if it's a choice between this and prison...

Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2009, 20:42   #2
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Default Re: Cliff Knoetz's "The Candid Voice" - a Don Brawn thriller

Been reading this this week. The first page had me in stitches...sublime, Nou.
Old 19th Sep 2009, 21:36   #3
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

has the freedom of Palimp City

Default Re: Cliff Knoetz's "The Candid Voice" - a Don Brawn thriller

I noticed an unusual jump in the daily readership (up from zero) so that explains it! I find myself enjoying it so much that I momentarily consider going back, revising out the obvious cheese and taking it all seriously, but then I feel the urge to take the piss again instead. As a result the tone may be a bit variable... The word count so far is around 8500, probably about what a non-Dan Brownian author would call Chapter One - so when I finish the next I may group them as Part One. Brown and Cussler never thought of THAT!

I'm basically writing it in short bursts with no plan whatsoever. A "chapter" usually arrives over a couple of days: one to start, one to finish, then a quick spell check and it's up. So that's one spell check away from how the pros seem to do things. The updates may slow down a bit now as I'm finally going to be working in the real world again to pay the bills, which is one of the reasons I thought I'd start "publicising".

I'm going to work in the snippets that have already appeared on The Thriller in a Manila (a couple already have) so for example one villainous name is already decided upon, but aside from that I'm letting whatever randomly falls out of my head dictate what happens next. Then I go on Wikipedia to flesh out the details or GoogleMap to discover the geography of exciting places I've never been to (so far, that only means Washington D.C., but that rather striking church in the banner will have to play a part too). One aspect of the grand finale is distantly visible in my mind's eye, again as a result of the random content arrival, but other than that I'm as much in the dark as any lucky readers!
Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote