No 10 45.45%
Ho ho ho! 12 54.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th Oct 2006, 10:03   #1
Daveybot
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Default The Weather

I'm led to believe that The Weather differs each time you experience it, but seeing as it's one of the most popular topics of converstaion in this thrilling and excitable nation, I thought it probably deserved it's own page for reviews.

I'll start off wih impressions of the last few days here in Oxford. My sister leaves for work at about 4:00am every morning, and she's been properly soaked each time by torrential downpours. This gets low ratings of course, as no-one likes getting drenched in such a manner. I normally blear about making breakfast and doing the washing up and the like, then get down to some solid palimping and Daveybot action. Come about 10:00am I'm ready to start some real work myself.

...And the past two days I've looked out the window at this time and seen beautiful blue skies. The gods of weather sure have a sense of humour, and for that they get a good two extra stars.

Daveybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2006, 10:08   #2
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Default Re: The Weather

It might be a chance to note a long-deserved apprecation of Rob McElwee as well as the weather gods!
Old 20th Oct 2006, 10:13   #3
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

I saw The Weather yesterday. I must admit my experience of it differed considerably from the one you report, Daveybot. It started off in a rather dark and foreboding manner, and continued in this vein for such a long time that I almost got up and left. Just as I was about to, there was a terrific series of special effects culminating in a long shot of the heavens opening. I decided to sit it out. Over the following few hours, I felt it portrayed interesting phenomena on several levels. But it didn't half go on.

Old 20th Oct 2006, 10:16   #4
Daveybot
Senior Palimpsester

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self View Post
I saw The Weather yesterday. I must admit my experience of it differed considerably from the one you report, Daveybot. It started off in a rather dark and foreboding manner, and continued in this vein for such a long time that I almost got up and left. Just as I was about to, there was a terrific series of special effects culminating in a long shot of the heavens opening. I decided to sit it out. Over the following few hours, I felt it portrayed interesting phenomena on several levels. But it didn't half go on.

That's true, I'd forgotten about the special effects. I don't notice them every time but I remember a particularly impressive flood scene last week!
Old 20th Oct 2006, 10:41   #5
Digger
Senior Palimpsester

Send a message via MSN to Digger

I got absolutely drenched this morning the floods under the railway bridge and on the island that my office sits on were over the depths of my little peddling feet, by the time I had changed into a very fetching red boiler suit provided by my 'site kit bag' the skies were blue and floods receding.

humph - even more humph if by the time i want to leave again tonight it's raining.

special effects be blowed.

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2006, 11:25   #6
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester

Yesterday's Weather was rubbish, but today's...

A chill beginning, with everything soaking wet from yesterday, but a promising pre-dawn rosy glow on the horizon. As the sky brightened on the drive through the town, low-lying mist hid the bottom half of the ancient castle, turrets and stonework poking up through.

Pink cumulo-nimbus above the Severn as we came across the bridge, an orange sun darting spears of gold at us as it broke through them. More mist lying on the fields, punctuated by hedges, trees and cows. The goats by the M32 sadly absent this morning though.

Now, it's glorious, showing off the remaining scarlet foliage on the cherry trees around here to brilliant effect.

And I'm stuck in the office. Bah.
ono no komachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2006, 11:54   #7
m.
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Lovely thread Db!

I really liked yesterday's episode, especially as I got out of the office - solid or even 1/2.

Today it's okay, but rather uninspired, if it doesn't clear up, just 3 stars.
Old 2nd Nov 2006, 6:05   #8
m.
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

First snow!

Old 2nd Nov 2006, 10:34   #9
Daveybot
Senior Palimpsester

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. View Post
First snow!

? ?!?!

I'm genuinely amazed! We get snow so rarely here, it's an absolute wonder when it happens! Maybe it's because I don't drive, but I still feel a real thrill when those flakes start falling. I haven't seen any proper snowfall here in Oxfordshire for years.

And has anyone else in the UK noticed how unseasonably warm the current episodes of The Weather are? I mean I hate to over simplify things and jump up and down about global warming, but... well... jump jump! I haven't had to wear a jacket even once yet, and it's November for crying out loud!

Still, some groovy skies this week...

Old 2nd Nov 2006, 11:20   #10
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Today's episode - freezingly chill and bright blue skies. Top marks all around.