Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Book Reviews

Old 29th Nov 2006, 14:36   #11
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Default Re: Patrick O'Brian

I can sell you the dust jacket from House of Meetings for a mere £13.99.
Old 29th Nov 2006, 17:13   #12
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Jim, don't worry about it. Quite a lot of the seafaring stuff is like this. After a while you learn what's going on or ignore it. If O'Brian doesn't explain it, it doesn't matter. Sometimes O'Brian uses Maturin as the silly landlubber, so someone can explain the terms to him, and inform the reader at the same time.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Dec 2006, 12:54   #13
jim
Palimpsestarian
worries mother

Much to my own surprise I appear to be turning into something of a naval anorak - well, perhaps not, but I have kept going with Master and Commander and can see land on the horizon. In fact it's been pretty enjoyable once you get past the incomprehensible jargon, and as Gill says, you do get past it. Whether that's because it diminishes as the book progresses, you learn to ignore it or, heaven forbid, you actually start to understand some of it I'm not sure - probably a mixture of all three.

Anyway, O'Brian writes pretty well to be honest. It is narrated in an eighteenth century style of prose and both the narration and the dialogue seem pretty authentic to me - I'm sure they are.

You might say that the characterisation is perhaps less than subtle. Jack Aubrey's and Stephen Maturin's characters are described pretty clearly however, one should I suppose acknowledge that this is a genre novel and that is perhaps to be expected. I would say that having seen the film, they pretty well nailed these parts, particularly the actor who played Maturin.

As a description of naval life during Napoleonic times it is really quite fascinating. Having been relatively recently to Mahon it is interesting to see described what it might have been like when it was a busy naval port. I remember at the time reading that it is something like the second deepest harbour in the world but I didn't really have much idea about its history from this time.

Whether I go on and read any more I am not sure but I am certainly enjoying it more than expected. - .

Last edited by jim; 28th Dec 2006 at 11:10.
jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Dec 2006, 10:35   #14
Walter Mitty
Junior Palimpsestarian
is new to Palimpsest

Ok I admit it - I've read the whole series.
This happened a few years ago before the film; I just happened to stumble on the first one and well you know how it happens...
As a collective body of work the standard is amazing as O'Brian never really has a bad day at the office. I would say the last five novels (or so) perhaps lack a bit of steam (bad pun there somewhere!) or maybe there just isn't enough fighting, but even these novels are of a very high standard.
I think its in the detail where O'Brian really excels & the relationship between the 2 protagonists is enthralling - how they play off each other.
One thing I would say to anyone who has just read 'Master & Commander' is that I think O'Brian slightly alters his style in the subsequent books - I seem to remember that although 'Master & Commander' was an excellent book the language could at times be hard going (a deluge of naval terms & I think O'Brian maybe trying to be 'too authentic' if thats possible); wheras the subsequent novels were easier to read. Or maybe the reader just gets more used to the style?
I can't remember if anyone meantioned this, but it's all based on a real person - Captain Cochoran (sorry if spelling wrong) - a real maveric a real "fighting captain" as they say and there's a biography on him, which I have but haven't read as yet.
Walter Mitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2007, 15:18   #15
gil
Senior Palimpsester

Yes, Lord Cochrane, a Scottish gentleman, was the model for much of Aubrey's doings. The sinking of the Cacafuego was straight out of Cochrane, and Cochrane fell into disrepute for a while, and organised South American navies. I've read the biog of Cochrane, but O'Brian is much more fun.

I'd agree, also, that the tone of later books is easier than M & C.
Old 30th Jan 2007, 15:24   #16
gil
Senior Palimpsester

Desolation Island Plenty more seafaring and a welcome absence of Love interest. The running battle with the Dutch ship is extremely memorable. The ship of the story, "the 'orrible old Leopard", is a character in itself, being so un-seaworthy and accident-prone. There's also an interesting back story of espionage and disinformation. One of the most enjoyable of the series.

Last edited by gil; 3rd Apr 2007 at 13:58.
Old 13th Feb 2007, 11:56   #17
gil
Senior Palimpsester

The Fortune of War This is a bit of a "bridge" book, tying up the end of Desolation Island, and then doing a spot of implausible derring-do in Boston with one of the female leads. On the plus side, he describes a couple of very good naval warfare incidents in the American war. It is still an excellent book, but one of the low points of the Aubrey-Maturin series.

Last edited by gil; 3rd Apr 2007 at 13:59.
Old 7th Mar 2007, 17:30   #18
gil
Senior Palimpsester

The Surgeon's Mate One of the best books in the series - lots of naval action, some background about the Baltic campaign, and a glimpse of post-revolutionary France. Excellent.

Last edited by gil; 3rd Apr 2007 at 14:00.
Old 2nd Apr 2007, 12:51   #19
gil
Senior Palimpsester

The Ionian Mission -

This was the first O'Brian I read, and the trigger to get me reading the rest. It has just enough of every ingredient of the Aubrey - Maturin canon to make it an entirely enjoyable, for me, read. The characters have matured, the vast majority of the action is at sea, and there is a confidence about the narrative that allows O'Brian to stop the book abruptly right at the end of a ferocious naval battle, leaving it to Traitor's Harbour, the next book, to tidy up the loose ends, which he does in the first few pages without any awkwardness. The book is full of shipboard jargon, but this far down the series, he has learned to explain it for landlubbers. On this third reading of the series, it is still my favourite.

Last edited by gil; 3rd Apr 2007 at 14:01.
Old 3rd Apr 2007, 14:06   #20
gil
Senior Palimpsester

I have added into my previous reviews some of Geoff Hunt's cover art for the Patrick O'Brian books.