Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Film Reviews

Old 12th Jan 2006, 22:40   #1
HP
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Default Brokeback Mountain

To be honest I'm at a complete loss what to say. This is one of those movies that is so special and so moving that you come out of the cinema wanting to be left completely alone for a while - the wrench back to real life needing to be delayed as long as possible. The trouble is that even now after several hours have passed, and real life having imposed its rule as it must do eventually - I'm still too rapt and in awe of this film to do it justice with mere words alone. So let me just say this: I haven't read Annie Proulx's story yet - but if her tale is only half as affecting and perfectly realised as Ang Lee's cinematic rendering of it - then I have an absolute treat left in store. For everything - and I do mean absolutely bloody everything - about Brokeback Mountain is of the very finest calibre, fine enough to make you shiver with the sheer blinding talent of it all. Ang Lee's direction is unimpeachable: supremely intelligent and sensitive - and a masterclass in how to deliver the truth quietly, yet quite, quite devastatingly. The cast - each and every one, but especially Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger as the two lovers, and the rather lesser-known Michelle Williams (who offers a heart-wrenching performance as Ennis Del Mar's [Ledger] wife) - are sublime. You won't, I promise you hand on heart - find finer performances anywhere. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the story, the characters, and indeed the whole tenor of the piece is so absolutely up my street that I was halfway there, willing it to be good: the intense study of quiet desperation of folk as they battle with their drives and demons and the crippling demands society places on them, have that sort of Yatesian turmoil and despair I relish so much (!) But the execution and delivery were beyond all expectations and left me rapturous. However, I guess, if you don't like that sort of thing, or if you object to witnessing 'the love that dare not speak its name' (which I'm sure won't apply to Palimpsters) - perhaps this won't thrill you as much as it did me. But even so - if you want to see intelligent cinema at its very, very finest - then you simply must see Brokeback Mountain. It's unsurpassable.
HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2006, 22:44   #2
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Default Re: Brokeback Mountain

As good as Million Dollar Baby, would you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey
if you object to witnessing 'the love that dare not speak its name' (which I'm sure won't apply to Palimpsters)
Why, I like nothing more! Actually, where's chinking when you need him?
Old 12th Jan 2006, 22:49   #3
HP
Senior Palimpsester

With cheap remarks like that - and coming hard on the magnificent beauty of this fabulous film - you're in danger, Mr Self, of having your nose bloodied!
Old 12th Jan 2006, 22:50   #4
HP
Senior Palimpsester

And I liked Million Dollar Baby - as did Ono - as did your revered mate Philip French. So ner .....
Old 12th Jan 2006, 22:52   #5
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Heheh, don't worry Honey, I was fully intending to see it anyway, as the five-star treatment seems to be common among critics.
Old 12th Jan 2006, 22:55   #6
HP
Senior Palimpsester

Mr Self, as I've said before, I'm so absolutley nuts about you, I would drag you along to see this film, if there wasn't a rather long drive and a decent stretch of water between us - you simply have to see it.
Old 12th Jan 2006, 23:53   #7
Maggie
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

HP,
I too am planning on seeing the film. I did read the story. A couple of years ago I bought a book titled Close Range by Proulx. The book is a collection of short stories........if you liked Brokeback Mountain, you will probably enjoy all of the stories in this collection. Each and every story is like a mini novel and they are all beautiful.

Maggie

Oscar Wilde, 1854-1900

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79565255@N00/
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2006, 10:19   #8
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

I'm keen to see this but I was very much taken with Thomas Sutcliffe's assessment in the Indy today (no link available) which readily acknowledges the film's good points, as already mentioned by HP, but finds fault with where it departs from Proulx - makes visible and dead obvious the understated or uncertain, or where two phrases of dialogue are missed out that convey the humour and friendly intimacy of the couple, thus rendering their treatment even more noble and suffering. Sutcliffe is an astute critic I respect very much and I was beginning to think this also - that it is a brave film and breaks new ground but still doesn't make gay relationships seem normative. I know that the story doesn't make them normative but to omit aspects of the story which would have shown gay men being loving and ordinary together, is probably a weakness. Films and dramas and TV need to get out of the stereotype they're still in, of not being able to show ordinary gay lives unless they're tragic or humorous or sidelined by being the sidekick to some het. story. Anyone who's seen it could maybe tell me whether QAF:US accomplishes that at all.
Old 13th Jan 2006, 10:42   #9
Digger
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Send a message via MSN to Digger

Looking forward to seeing this some time this weekend, great review HP - and Col for the Indy comments.

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2006, 10:47   #10
kumquat
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Send a message via MSN to kumquat

Yes thank you. My town shows about 4 or 5 films at a time and the really good ones seem to be shipped straight out to MK which is 20 miles away. Today I have a small person off icky and I was so hoping to go and see Narnia at last today. Might have to go anyway and tuck him up in bed with Calvin & Hobbes and a mug of hot chocolate!! heh heh