Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Other Reviews

Old 3rd Jan 2006, 14:36   #11
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Default Re: Decent Telly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger
We have a set top aerial and signal booster that gets waved around every evening and propped on various boxes, stacks of books, chairs, depending on its fickleness!
Me too! Of course the optimum position always turns out to be holding the signal booster in your hand precisely five feet off the floor so you can't sit down while you watch. I live at the bottom of a hill which means for some reason I don't even get Channel Five - so it's not all bad. I am certain I wouldn't have a strong enough signal for digital. And as I live in an apartment, and the title deeds are strict about not putting up any 'erections' (ooer, obviously) on the outside, eg roof aerial or satellite dish, and as the forecourt is shared and the cable TV people never get permission from all the owners to dig it up, it looks like I am stuck with four channels for the foreseeable future... Until they turn off the analoge signal, of course, which will simply things in one sense.
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 15:12   #12
Digger
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Send a message via MSN to Digger

Ah JS, a familiar story!

Ours, perversly, can be coaxed and cajoled into providing a relatively good signal, when the weather's right, but collapses into static if anyone sits in the armchair, the comfy one that everyone wants to sit in! Settop aerials are sent from the devil to try us, I guarantee it!

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 15:23   #13
stella
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

Did anyone catch Balderdash & Piffle on 2 last night at 9pm? I meant to watch it but got distracted by Rebus. S'all about words & derivations and stuff. It's a series I believe.
stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2006, 15:49   #14
Miriamaok
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

I finally gave in and got Skyplus just over a year ago so have about 800 stations - at least 99% of which are terrible. However I've become addicted to The Amazing Race on Living 2. It's a travel show crossed with a reality show that's smart and funny. Clever casting, wonderful editing and great pacing. I'm also looking forward to Shameless coming back this evening. I love Paul Abbott's work but wonder if it will survive now that Steve and Fiona, two of the main characters, have left.
Flickr
Miriamaok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2006, 21:05   #15
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid

Curb Your Enthusiasm first series is being shown every sunday at 9.30 on More 4! Am going for quick bath so I am out in time!
Old 8th Jan 2006, 21:07   #16
stella
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

To stop myself from thinking about Wavid/Wogan in the bath I'll fess up: I love Charmed, CSI (all three cities), Will & Grace, Scrubs & ANTM (that's America's Next Top Model to all you sensible people who would never touch it with a bargepole) Yes, am addicted to shit Living TV and enjoy every second, even the repeats. I think of it as brain-ease time. A couple of hours of Charmed makes reading Derrida seem like a pleasant distraction.
stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2006, 22:11   #17
chillicheese
Palimpsestarian
is a Grand High Wizard of the Palimp

Send a message via Yahoo to chillicheese

The BBC two part Three Men In A Boat was surprisingly good, you know, for an amusing yet pointless telly thingy.
Old 9th Jan 2006, 10:21   #18
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

We introduced a loft aerial - this one http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind.../Aerials_Loft/ - to one part of the house a couple of years ago in which we'd been struggling with set-top aerials. It is FANTASTIC and easy to fit. If there's anywhere to put it, that is.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Jan 2006, 10:31   #19
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavid
I think one of the things that didn't impress me so much was that there was none of the going for the jugular that the British equivalents of this show would do. The Office, of course, and bits of Extras were toe-curling in the extreme, and on a couple of occasions, CYE could have gone down this road and didn't, preferring anti-climax to out-and-out horror.
Boy, are you in for a shock.
Old 9th Jan 2006, 10:33   #20
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid

Aha! So it does get better/worse then?