Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > Politics & Society

Old 22nd Aug 2005, 16:41   #21
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

I seem to have a 'balanced brain' in all, tending towards the male, systemising light turquoise area.

I scored 52 on the empathy quotient and 44 on the other one.
Old 22nd Aug 2005, 16:49   #22
m.
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

I did it in the morning - empathy 37 (I think), systemising 22 (I'm sure).
m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2005, 16:57   #23
rick green
Palimpsestarian
could do better

EQ=37
SQ=27

Average for both.
Old 22nd Aug 2005, 17:11   #24
NottyImp
the aging anarchist
could do better

EQ = 42

I didn't do the other one. Does that make my systemising score zero?
Old 24th Aug 2005, 10:28   #25
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Out of curiosity, I did actually watch some of the programme (Don't Get Me Started, last night on Five at 7:15). (I couldn't watch all of it as I was cooking dinner at the time.) I had heard radio previews saying that after all the 'out-of-context' quotes earlier in the week, what was presented was actually a 'balanced debate'.

Unfortunately, I found myself every bit as infuriated as I'd expected. One chap began by saying that women weren't naturally competitive or aggressive (there may be some evidence for saying that they're not as aggressive or competitive as men are in general, though of course this kind of generalisation helps no-one, since there are plenty of exceptions to this 'rule', on both sides) then ruined any pretence of credibility by continuing '...they're not rational, or logical. Women don't know how a lightbulb works - they don't want to know!'

It was a shame that the couple of good points that were made were buried amidst all the 'Women - know your place!' propaganda: for example, the undesirability of the 'ladette' culture, whereby young women seem just as capable as young men of throwing up in the street and falling over pissed - this presumably being a by-product of the fact that young women no longer feel the need to be hanging off a man's arm in order to be able to go out socially.

A very glamorous, very aristocratic Lady Alexandra Tolstoy bemoaned the fact that she had to go on a riding holiday to Russia to find herself a 'real man', a real live cossack. She blamed it on increasing urbanization. 'There's no connection with nature, with the outdoors, which... are very male pursuits'. I couldn't help being reminded of Shaw's phrase 'with a thick pair of lips to kiss you with and a thick pair of boots to kick you with.'

yjmli, did you see it and if so, what did you think of it?
ono no komachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Aug 2005, 11:12   #26
youjustmightlikeit
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Send a message via Yahoo to youjustmightlikeit

I didn't see it unfortunately, but that Lady Tolstoy sounds like a right goer.

I don't blame them for turning on ladette culture, because i don't much care for lad culture either. They both have their own dangers if we're talking about the friday night pissup, lad culture with it's associated violence, and ladette culture (which always seems ever so slightly forced) which leads to women putting themselves in ever more compromising positions.
There's also the harm they're doing to their bodies. Women have the lower tolerance, yet many seem to act as if they don't. I also saw a programme, about a year ago now, in which a roving reporter went out on the town to interview inebriated women, she was specifically interested in pregnancy. She came away with many extracts of interviews where young women admitted to drinking (and smoking) heavily while pregnant, and all this was admitted with a smile on their faces.

Incidentally, if we're talking about women out on the piss and ladette culture compared with lad culture, i think they have to be viewed separately, and one with more caution than the other for the following reason. Lad culture generally tends to leave women cold, therefore isolating it as a social cul-de-sac, man goes out, gets shit faced, wakes up with hangover, end of story (assuming nothing violent or illegal has gone on). Whereas ladette culture, i would say, is generally welcomed by the lad about town, put simply it makes all the women around him more 'easy'. Lad about town can't believe his luck. If he knew who she was, lad about town would be sending Germaine Greer a thankyou card right about now.
So now if you're thinking 'so what, if the women want to go out and get it on then that's what they want', well i'd have to disagree, because i don't think generally that this is what they want. They're being peer pressured into it by all these blonde bobbed, 40 marlboro a day voiced presenters, who then go off and get married and pop out a couple of kids, then go all macrobiotic on us, thus deserting their corned beef legged disciples to suburban manual labour bread line hell. 'Oh well' they think, 'there's always another Bacardi Breezer'.

I always think there's an element of truth in humour, and there's nothing like Viz for letting us know the mind of the lad about town. Viz have out a 'Profanisaurus', an alternative dictionary for slang and swear words. There's an entry for Bacardi Breezers and alcopops in general, there are two brief alternative definitions 'Bitch Piss', and 'Tart Fuel'. Nuff said.
Old 24th Aug 2005, 11:33   #27
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester

I've just realised that it might have looked in my post as if I was citing the ladette culture thing as a know-your-place item , when actually I meant that it was one of the more pertinent points that was made during the whole thing, and more in-depth discussion of it might have yielded some persuasive arguments. I think it is an undesirable consequence of a desirable increase in women's independence.

I would sincerely hope that the heavy-drinking-and-smoking-whilst-pregnant individuals you mention are seriously atypical. My gut reaction is that those people must have a lack of self-respect and self-esteem to treat themselves that way. Looking into the presumably complex causes of this might, again, prove fruitful ground for debate.

Incidentally, Buerk, whilst in an early part of the programme saying that women weren't naturally aggressive, claimed later that men were now scared of newly sexually aggressive women, so presumably he wouldn't agree with your assessment of lad-about-town rubbing his hands in glee at the thought of lots of pissed-up, sexually aggressive women.
Old 24th Aug 2005, 12:11   #28
youjustmightlikeit
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Send a message via Yahoo to youjustmightlikeit

That 'men being scared of the newly sexually aggressive woman' view is regularly put about. It is of course bollocks.

It's clever though; men say this because they're canny enough to know that if it's one thing women like, it's getting one over men on their own 'field'. So we perpetuate this myth so that women will continue to drink, continue to be 'sexually aggressive', and continue to grab our **** in pubs. Simple reverse psychology, we say we don't like it, therefore women keep doing it. We love it of course. It's rather obvious if you think about it, we've spent millennia wishing that women would just come up and ask for sex, now they're doing it. Are we scared? Are we hell.
Old 24th Aug 2005, 12:27   #29
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester

Hmmmm... you'd hope that any individual, of either sex, would learn from experience, if they didn't know it to start with, that a series of pissed-up sexual encounters is not particularly fulfilling, and that putting yourself in a potentially humiliating, even degrading position through drink is not particularly big or clever.
Old 24th Aug 2005, 13:27   #30
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

I guess most do, eventually.