Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Film Reviews

Old 14th Dec 2009, 16:40   #81
bill
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Default Re: Inglourious(sic) Basterds(sic)

Oh, but who would be Telly Savalas? Giovanni Ribisi?
Old 14th Dec 2009, 16:44   #82
bill
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Oops, you guys were recasting the movie where Savalas doesn't play a rapist. My mistake.

Which isn't to say that Giovanni Ribisi is a rapist -- he probably isn't -- but rather he's one of Hollywood's go-to psycho.

Okay, I'll leave.
Old 14th Dec 2009, 17:29   #83
beer good
Palimpsestarian
could do better

Well, Ribisi has played a naive idealist good-guy soldier at least once, in Masked & Anonymous. And he owned that scene and didn't come off as psycho at all.

Of course, the other person in the scene was Bob Dylan.

Goodreads (2013 and older)
Movies I've seen
beer good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2010, 13:02   #84
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

We watch a lot of movies. I mean A LOT. One, sometimes two, a day - honest! What with Sky, Film4, Sky Box Office, a large collection of VHSs and DVDs, there's no shortage. A lot are second views of movies we liked first time around.

Inglourious Basterds was head and shoulders above anything we've seen this year, only Slum Dog Millionaire came close.

Christof Waltz was particularly good. I didn't much like Brad Pitt in this one, though I usually enjoy him.

It was a series of episodes, all of which were dripping with tension. The violence (which Beryl usually deplores) was somehow slapstick - think Tom and Jerry - and kind of acceptable. Describe the plot to someone, and they'd think it was lunacy. Tarantino, though, knows exactly how to build suspense into a scene, and if you were bored at any point in this movie, I'd have to say you had a very short span of attention.

The end was also surprisingly good, and unexpected. Thank you, Mr Tarantino.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2014, 12:44   #85
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Five years after the film emerges, I am probably with gil on this one, although I am dropping a star too.

I'm way not knowledgeable enough about film to analyse how IB fits into the Tarantino oeuvre but I know that I liked the story-telling, once-upon-a-time, and thought the bleed-through of characters from other chapters was well handled. The opening chapter and the tavern cellar chapter were just stunning, and what I found most impressive (given my awareness of Mr Tarentino's fondness for splatter and cast-annihilation) was the incredible amount of tension that was sustained through the film. Part of this was down to the skill of Christophe Waltz. The timings were good, the cartoonish pieces from Pitt and the Mike Myers scene fitted perfectly with the mood-switching nature of the piece.

Where it drops a star is the relentless determination of Tarantino to include violent gore and 'wipe-out' - obviously it is a trademark rather than anything like a plot device, but it is wearing and becomes exploitative and tedious and redundant ultimately. Also, having watched this after seeing Django..., I can appreciate that the American Basterds were playing the part of Apaches scalping in their revenge killing, but the overt 'spaghetti western' music and forced connection of the two, just irritated me, and had the director's big obsessive thumbprint (of referencing the Wild West) all over it: that jarred and threw me out of the integrity of that scene.

Old 28th May 2014, 22:59   #86
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Yes, Col, like you, I found Django a massassassination too far, but I'm always prepared to give Tarantino a bit more leeway than most, because he's so stylish and film-obsessed.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote