Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > Politics & Society

Old 3rd May 2007, 12:57   #1
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Send a message via MSN to Stewart
Default Scottish Election 2007

Well, I went along and voted at 07:20. Half of the area in which I vote (the dump that is Arden (as seen on 'let's make the council shithole all pastel colours' with Justin and the other one on Five) probably won't vote because it means leaving the flat of a Thursday. I know, I'm cynical.

They think today's election is going to be exciting. Perhaps it will be, although I fail to see the excitement from two pompous assholes (that'll be McConnell and Salmond) bickering over each others' policies while neglecting to mention the manifesto's way around such items. (i.e. Labour saying that SNP will add an extra 3p income tax which will make going to work a defeatist purpose while what the SNP are saying is that they are for a 3p local income tax in place of council tax. Not that I agree with either.)

So, is this the big one? Will the SNP get their greedy fingers on Scotland? Or will Labour retain their greedy fingers on the Parliament? There is, of course, no chance of the Libs, Tories, or another party making a major impact, although it will be nice to see some smaller parties getting in through the regional proportional representation. (As long as it's not the BNP, the Publican Party, or Sheridan's lot - old and new.)
Old 3rd May 2007, 13:33   #2
MisterHobgoblin
Banned
is a Grand High Wizard of the Palimp

Default Re: Scottish Election 2007

I voted last week (postal vote). My constituency - Na h-Eileanan An Iar/Western Isles is marginal with the SNP hotly tipped to take it. It has made it quite a lively place to be for the past few weeks, with leaders coming and BBC Scotland doing their Good Morning Scotland programme from the Stag Tearoom a few days ago. Every lamppost is adorned with posters, and it's quite a shock after driving through deep wilderness to come across a pretty fishing hamlet bedecked in luminous yellow.

Question - why do the Labour posters say Scottish Labour Vote?

Anyway, I'd love to stay up all night watching the results but I have to get the 7:15 ferry to Ullapool tomorrow to spenda long weekend at a whisky festival in Dufftown.
MisterHobgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2007, 15:56   #3
leyla
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

I never received a voting card. I may go along anyway, I've heard you don't need one to vote. Unfortunately, I am not too inspired by the available options. Labour are not an option as however much they pretend they are dissociated from the Labour party in Westminster, they will always bow and scrape to Blair and Brown's edicts. The Tories are not an option as I've never voted Tory and somehow could never bring myself to do it. Anyhow, I hate their policies, and whatever they say, they always cut spending on hospitals and libraries. I usually vote Lib Dem but have been put off this year by a number of things: firstly, a week or so ago, my doorball rang at 7pmish and when I answered the buzzer, it was one of the Lib Dem candidates, a Mr Khan. I said I didn't want to talk to anyone and he slid a letter under the close (block of flats) door for me. It seems he was targetting everyone with a foreign name and sending them a photocopy of a handwritten letter stating how he was against racism etc. I find this a bit ghetto-ising - racist crimes are crimes first and foremost - I don't want to be part of a society where I'm seen as having had foreign roots and therefore in need of slotting into a Foreign box. Thanks, but I'm a Brit, and I don't believe in multi-culturalism, just as Trevor Phillips doesn't - all cultures should adapt and accept living in Britain, not expect special treatment or pampering. Secondly, Mr Khan spelt racism 'rasism' and there were several other grammatical errors. Why should I vote someone who can't write English correctly to represent me in parliament? The trouble is, if I don't vote as a protest at the lack of decent options, I'm in the same category as all the apathetic people who can't be arsed shifting their arses from their sofas. So may go and vote Lib Dem anyhow.
(Incidentally, an ancient history teacher at school became ballistic when, aged 12, I asked her who she voted for. 'You should NEVER ask anyone about their politics or religion', she croaked at me in her querulous voice, pointing an accusing finger. I've never understood why stating your political beliefs should be offensive)

Edit: Voted.

Last edited by leyla; 3rd May 2007 at 16:12.
leyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2007, 16:37   #4
MisterHobgoblin
Banned
is a Grand High Wizard of the Palimp

Leyla - you make no mention of the SNP. Surely they were standing too in your constituency.
MisterHobgoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2007, 23:01   #5
leyla
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Yes, but I would feel a bit like a turkey voting for Xmas because I was brought up in London and still sound English. And since the Scottish Parliament building was such a godawful waste of money, I would not like to see any further moves towards independence, even though the SNP assure us that a vote for them doesn't mean a vote for independence.

Last edited by leyla; 4th May 2007 at 9:02.
Old 4th May 2007, 8:40   #6
Daveybot
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyla View Post
...And since the Scottish Parliament building was such a godawful waste of money...
Just watch me not rise to this. You'll all be very impressed.
Daveybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 8:46   #7
leyla
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveybot View Post
Just watch me not rise to this. You'll all be very impressed.
Heh! Don't tell me the Spanish architect did a Reginald Perrin and is currently living as the Bot? Seriously, were you involved, Bot? I'm not denigrating the building, it's innovative and exciting - just the price tag.
Old 4th May 2007, 9:22   #8
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyla View Post
I'm not denigrating the building, it's innovative and exciting - just the price tag.
I don't think it was just the price tag. More the escalating nature of the price tag. And then all the petty crap about the furniture where they spent fortunes of marble flooring and the outcry over where the wood being used was coming from. It even cascaded down to the sandwiches in the canteen where a fuss frothed up over whether the ingredients within were Scottish sourced.
Old 4th May 2007, 11:57   #9
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

The big fuss at the moment is the sheer number of spoilt ballots in the council elections using the Single Transferable Vote system. While the Parliament and Regional votes were a case of placing an X in the appropriate box, the council vote required you to number the boxes from 1 to ... in order of preference. This, apparently, seems to have confused the illiterati of Scotland who have proceeded to sign their own name (i.e. X) in one box. It's not as if the instructions to this weren't sent out a few weeks before, plastered over the polling stations, and written at the top of the voting form itself. Hardly rocket surgery! Still, as one person says on the BBC's 'have your say' - if it removes the thick people from the poll then it allows a more informed populace to vote on things that matter.
Old 4th May 2007, 12:23   #10
Daveybot
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
The big fuss at the moment is the sheer number of spoilt ballots in the council elections using the Single Transferable Vote system. While the Parliament and Regional votes were a case of placing an X in the appropriate box, the council vote required you to number the boxes from 1 to ... in order of preference. This, apparently, seems to have confused the illiterati of Scotland who have proceeded to sign their own name (i.e. X) in one box. It's not as if the instructions to this weren't sent out a few weeks before, plastered over the polling stations, and written at the top of the voting form itself. Hardly rocket surgery! Still, as one person says on the BBC's 'have your say' - if it removes the thick people from the poll then it allows a more informed populace to vote on things that matter.
I was listening to this on the news this morning and couldn't believe it. I've heard similar stories before, of course - famously in the 1998 US election - and was similarly surprised: how can you mess up a voting form?!

I remember the first time I voted I was expecting a very serious and scary procedure, requiring my absolute concentration, and good grief - it's idiotically easy!

The problem being of course that of the many things there are in the world, voting ballots really do have to be idiot-proof. You don't have to sell products to idiots, but you do have to let them vote. I can't imagine how you could make it any simpler, though. One for design students, I suspect. I haven't seen any pictures yet, but I suspect I'd find it depressing...

EDIT: Aha! here's a picture. Good grief, it really isn't rocket science, is it...?
Daveybot is offline   Reply With Quote