Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 22nd Oct 2006, 15:37   #1
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Send a message via MSN to Stewart
Default Hallowe'en Costumes

Well, it's getting to that time of year. Does anyone have any dressing up planned for any sort of party (ofice, pub, etc.)?

I've been invited to a party next week and now need to get myself a costume. Four years ago I went to my local pub dressed as a geisha, which won me the best dressed "male" prize. I'm hoping that I can find the kimono (an authentic six piece one) around the house and I'll just wear it again to this party. If not, I'm going to have to buy something; the only thing I can see is Hellvis Presley.

So, anyone got any costumes/photos, etc. of themselves during Hallow'en? Or are they getting kitted up for a night of tricking and treating?
Old 22nd Oct 2006, 16:31   #2
leyla
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Default Re: Hallowe'en Costumes

Sorry, Stu, I'm being boring and staying in. Definitely no trick or treating or anything else al fresco - brrrr, no more being outside in the fresh air for me in the evenings until next summer. A Halloween party indoors would be fun but i don't know anyone who's giving one in Glasgow. Why don't you slather yourself in that fake tan that chavettes favour, eat a few big meals, and go as a pumpkin? Or, since Halloween often has spooky connotations, perhaps swathe yourself in a sheet with eye holes cut out and go as a ghost. Then, if it all gets too tedious, you can retire under your sheet, preferbly with ghostette to cuddle and a bottle of vino. Alternatively, witches and wizards are quite Halloweeny - borrow a long black coat from any Goth pals you may have and grab a broomstick. As you can see, my fancy dress ideas are not very sophisticated . Show us what you decide on.
leyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2006, 16:59   #3
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

has the freedom of Palimp City

The last one I did - at least three years ago - I found a mouldy crimson velvet curtain in the basement and went as a remarkably well fed and red-cheeked vampire.
Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2006, 17:40   #4
Beth
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Yikes I'm going to one next Sat night, an outdoor party. And am being um encouraged by the hostess to put on boring naughty nurse regalia. But ya know high heels and dark, uneven grounds can be a mismatch. I may steal Leyla's suggestion and put a pillow inside an orange sweatshirt and be that pumpkin. Went to a Halloween party once where a guy dressed up as a wind tunnel. His head was in a good sized, foil covered cardboard box with strips of foil hanging from the front of the box and his lips made up to look flat. It was very strange but I was quite drunk and easily amused.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2006, 17:46   #5
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

We used to sit in the pub years ago and always talk about costumes for Hallowe'en parties. The general concensus was to try and do a group costume, whether it be Spice Girls, Village People, or something appropriately camp. Just for the hell of it. Never happened, since my friends are more talk than action, feeling that they might have their public image affected by dressing up in something so un-macho, or for dressing up at all. Sadly, my group suggestion of Mount Rushmore was never accepted either due to logistical reasons.
Old 22nd Oct 2006, 17:54   #6
Beth
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

yes, you'd have to be bound and lashed together for that one, wouldn't you? Could be tricky, but very very funny. Would they go as Larry, Curly and Moe? Can geishas walk very easily or do you have to take small steps?
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2006, 17:55   #7
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth View Post
Would they go as Larry, Curly and Moe?
For 364 days of the year, they do.

Quote:
Can geishas walk very easily or do you have to take small steps?
I can't remember. It was four years ago. But I do remember walking home from the pub, which is about a half hour walk. I don't think I was too restricted.
Old 22nd Oct 2006, 20:53   #8
JunkMonkey
Senior Palimpsester
should be ashamed

Last time I dressed up for Hallowe'en was several years ago. I had a ragged untrimmed 4 year old beard, I wore all black clothes, an academic gown, black 'taliban' hat and carried an enormous polystyrene crucifix on top of a six foot pole. I remember stopping traffic in the road and ranting at them being the "devil's carriages!" and the drivers being "imps of Beelzebub!". I think I was being John Knox. I was too smashed to be sure.

There Are Not Seven Words In My Signature
JunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2006, 11:59   #9
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Here's a cheap one:

Work clothes, but just take off the jacket.
White apron.
NHS specs.
Dip your hands in fake blood and put one bloody handprint across the apron.

Hey presto! Denis Nielsen.
Old 23rd Oct 2006, 14:35   #10
leyla
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Amner! Gross!
If you're feeling REALLY sicko, add a sausage in your mouth and you could be that German bloke who chopped off someone's , fried it, ate it with the de-penised one, then let him slowly bleed to death in the bath.

I knew this would degenerate into tastelessness...

Last edited by leyla; 24th Oct 2006 at 0:04.
leyla is offline   Reply With Quote