Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 16th Sep 2003, 8:50   #1
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Default Recent purchases

Anyone acquired anything good (or bad) lately in the way opf books, films or music?

I finally bought both the Best of Bowie double album that was released in 2002 and Led Zeppelin 4 at the weekend, and am very pleased with my purchases. One to sing along to and one to play very loud indeed.

As far as more recent releases are concerned, my boyfriend introduced albums by Jet and The Raveonettes to our collection - both sound pretty good, though he wasn't happy when I told him I thought Jet had resonances of Bon Jovi in them. The Raveonettes impressed me on first listen, though I didn't have time to get through the whole album - full of [early] 60s influences, and probably good to dance to.

* Edited slightly after a second listen. 17-9-03
Old 16th Sep 2003, 14:58   #2
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

I recently picked up the Special Edition DVD of 'Fargo' for £8.99, and decided it was every bit as good as I remembered from watching it in the cinema. Not that I'm a great fan of Special Editions - I don't tend to be beguiled by commentaries, featurettes etc.
And 'By The Way' by the Chilli Peppers - when I got it I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about but after I few listens I was hooked.
ono no komachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2003, 15:20   #3
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Fargo's a great film, love it to bits. Probably my fave Coen brothers movie in fact, although Millers Crossing comes mighty close.
Old 16th Sep 2003, 16:25   #4
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

My husband bought the latest Tracy Chevalier while he was waiting for my delayed flight to arrive in Manchester, and both he and I can confirm it as rubbish. Teeth-gritting bad sex scenes ( a mention of 'ploughing' comes to mind ) and a re-tread of her style and themes in 'Girl...'
Colyngbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2003, 16:31   #5
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Not read it, but the Amazon reviews (and I am not at all surprised by this) are astonishingly flowery about it:

Quote:
Wow! I'm not sure that words alone will be enough to express just how amazing this book is!
Everyone now puts 5 stars in their Amazon reviews as standard, it's very annoying.
Old 16th Sep 2003, 17:53   #6
Pak_43
Junior Palimpsestarian
is new to Palimpsest

I just picked up "Carter Beats the Devil" which is an excellent read IMHO....
Pak_43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2003, 7:24   #7
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Yes, indeed - I just finished Good Omens yesterday and am quite frankly disappointed by both it and the overweening "this is hysterical and the best book ever reviews on Amazon. And despite all the contrary bumph about a closely woven unseparable collaboration, the Pratchetty bits stood out a mile from the Gaiman.
Colyngbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2003, 8:43   #8
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

I remember quite enjoying it when I was in the closest I've ever had to a Pratchett phase a few years ago, but I wouldn't say it was either hysterical or the best book ever.
Old 17th Sep 2003, 9:32   #9
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid

I haven't bought much in a while. I am in the middle of a self inflicted CD purchase embargo - much to my chagrin as the rather spiffing new Thea Gilmore album is out now - and I'm not much of a film buff. Also, my book buying tends to be in large numbers (usually on payday) which I then work my way through during the month.

So, my last shopping haul included Berlin Noir, which I have finished; the appallingly titled Three Great Novels (there seem to be a lot of these about) omnbius by George Pelencanos, which I finished last night and enjoyed immensely; The Lady in the Lake and Other Novels by Raymond Chandler, which I started today.

Not a bad lot, really, given that there's nine novels in there and they cost a tenner each.
Wavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2003, 10:07   #10
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Well we'll have a review of the Pelecanos then, please Wavid. And Berlin Noir, if you'd be so kind.

Colyngbourne, just noticed my review of American Gods (essentially, heck, exactly the one I posted here) has finally turned up on Amazon. Proof positive that not all reviews these days go for the screamingly affirmative