Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Film Reviews

Old 24th Mar 2007, 4:50   #71
aemy
Junior Palimpsestarian
is hanging around suspiciously

Post Re: Brokeback Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JfP
But what exactly do you mean by "overt", aemy? That it was unrealistic, given that Alma was virtually bound to follow Ennis out and be introduced to his friend? I tend to think they got carried away... And, well, how shall I put this, they both have distinctly masculine urges... Decorum plays a minor role in moments like this. It's when you have to start to realise that "the way gays behave" is, first and foremost, the way *men* behave... And Alma quite possibly has her suspicions anyway...
At any rate, it's an amazingly powerful scene in the film. It somehow reveals more about their passion than any of the scenes when they're on their own.
Hi, John, nice to hear from you again, and thank you for the very detailed commentary, both linguistic and thematic on Proulx, the story, and the film.

Yes, I think - (and I may be misremembering b/c the film came out here about 6-8 months ago) - I was thinking that both men seemed to try fairly hard (in the interests of the way they'd be perceived (cf., the Randy Quaid character) to keep their love discreet, difficult tho' it might be. Hence the whole "fishing trip" escapes to BB Mountain in the first place.

I certainly understand the passion and the being "carried away" after such a long separation. But I knew they'd be seen - inevitably by Alma - who, as you say, has had her suspicions anyway.

But it is, as you also say, a very powerful scene.

Now you've got me thinking about the scenes on the Mountain. Am I understanding these, I wonder? It's as tho' there's a element of male rowdiness, what we might call "horsing around" (!), which suddenly turns erotic. But it's not really a surprise anymore to either man after the first encounter. So then is the play fun? Or a kind of initial physicality? Or both? What do you think of those scenes when Ennis and Jack are on their own on the Mountain?

And what about that really heavy punch which Ennis delivers to Jack? The text makes it seem as tho' it's important to establish that a man can't allow himself to be bullied or picked on. (Ennis's father, I think.) But Jack isn't bullying Ennis (is he?) Or is this somehow Ennis's way of trying to alert Jack not to need him too much or on too frequent a basis?

Confused now! Any thoughts?

Many thanks, and all best.

Last edited by aemy; 24th Mar 2007 at 6:01. Reason: clarification
aemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2015, 23:48   #72
JunkMonkey
Senior Palimpsester
should be ashamed

Default Re: Brokeback Mountain

Brokeback Mountain has been in my TBW pile for several years and I've never got round to watching it - somehow spandex-clad hotties, sweaty men in space ships, and cataclysmic explosions seemed to meet my "Well that was a shit day I don't want to think for 90 minutes" movie watching criteria much better.

Tonight, having the house to ourselves and it not having been a shitty day, I gave teenage Daughter Number One a free choice of any film in the as yet unwatched pile ("anything below an 18"). She chose Brokeback Mountain. So thank you, Number One Daughter. It had both of us hooked from the opening shot. I loved it. I was in tears at the end - real trickily down the face open sobbing.

I've not read the story so can't comment on the adaptation but the film as it stands is a sodding masterpiece. Wonderfully, wonderfully shot - only once was I thrown out of the film by the camera work when my internal overly analytical techie brain became aware of a tricksie bit of focus pulling in a dolly shot. Reminded me I was watching a film and not in it.

I didn't think it was too long. I was surprised afterwards to find it was 134 minutes. The explosion-ridden POS I watched last night clocked in at 95 minutes and felt much longer.

As with anything I find deeply moving and emotionally satisfying I find it hard to explain what it was about the film that worked for me. But it was a real pleasure to get that part of my brain that sits there analysing and detailing every mismatched shot and line crossing and continuity error* switched off by some great film-making.

He is forgiven for The Hulk.

* even so it still managed to clock that the hood on Jack's pickup did conveniently close itself between shots after Ennis didn't shut it properly.

There Are Not Seven Words In My Signature

Last edited by JunkMonkey; 31st Jul 2015 at 0:03.
JunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2015, 19:59   #73
JunkMonkey
Senior Palimpsester
should be ashamed

Default Re: Brokeback Mountain

and this is even funnier than the Back to the Future one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXVqdEQ2cY4

There Are Not Seven Words In My Signature
JunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote