Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 9th May 2005, 20:30   #1
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Hazel, when is the Renegades of Pern set? Is it pre-Dragonflight or post-White Dragon?
Old 9th May 2005, 23:51   #2
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colyngbourne
Hazel, when is the Renegades of Pern set? Is it pre-Dragonflight or post-White Dragon?
Taken from the back of the book:

Quote:
The Renegages of Pern runs concurrently with the events told in The White Dragon
Which also means it is the same time as Dragondrums/ While this means there is some repetition, there is enough going on that they aren't the same book over and over. I think there is also a short story about one of the characters (Aramina) somewhere.

We have more of the same with one of the other Pern I just bought, The Masterharper of Pern is the life story of Masterharper Robinton, so it covers everything from Dragonflight onwards (and I mean everything, Robinton is involved in most things), but also a lot of the *before* we haven't read about.

I think that was probably too much information.

Hazel

pandop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2005, 8:58   #3
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

It really does make me want to re-read these.
Old 10th May 2005, 10:11   #4
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Groan.... I know she is meant to be Science Fiction. but I'm not a fan.

I liked the first McCaffery books, particularly Dragonflight and the early short stories that led to them. Up to The White Dragon, I was really quite enthusiastic.

Then, with the music-based ones, I began to see the signs of serial saga-building at the expense of complete novels.

Then I saw a tv program about Anne McCaffrey, and it was very obvious that all the books were personal fantasies based on herself, her horses and dogs, and I confess I didn't take to the cut of her jib.

I suppose she fills a certain girly teen market of sf, and her writing, from memory, wasn't bad at all, but I just can't read her books any more.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2005, 11:08   #5
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil
Then, with the music-based ones, I began to see the signs of serial saga-building at the expense of complete novels.
While there are some elements of saga, there are still some complete stand-alone novels.

Have you read Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern, which is a complete novel - although you should be familiar with the name from the ballads in Dragonflight and Dragonquest.

Hazel

Old 10th May 2005, 11:45   #6
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Ummm... have to confess that I haven't read a Pern novel for many a long year - mid-80s, so I don't remember the name.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2005, 11:54   #7
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

I've got Dragonflight, Dragonquest, Dragonsong, Dragondrums and The White Dragon.

I don't really mind the idea of the saga being at the expense of the individual stories. It's a long time since I read them too - mid-eighties - but I liked the world-building. I wasn't sure I wanted to learn about the ancient history of Pern though.
Old 10th May 2005, 16:47   #8
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil
Ummm... have to confess that I haven't read a Pern novel for many a long year - mid-80s, so I don't remember the name.
Well Moreta was written by then, so if you have read it it is the one were she saves the planet from plauge and then she and her dragon die at the end

It is all terribly sad ....

Hazel

Old 10th May 2005, 17:26   #9
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colyngbourne
I've got Dragonflight, Dragonquest, Dragonsong, Dragondrums and The White Dragon.

I don't really mind the idea of the saga being at the expense of the individual stories. It's a long time since I read them too - mid-eighties - but I liked the world-building. I wasn't sure I wanted to learn about the ancient history of Pern though.
The ancient history of Pern is the world-building though! If you wish to stay with the ninth pass, I recommend:

All the Weyrs of Pern
The Dolphins of Pern
The Skies of Pern
The Renegades of Pern
The Masterharper of Pern

However, Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern is a good introduction to the history of Pern, as it is fairly 'middling' chronologically - and there is nothing that different about the period.

Hazel