Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Film Reviews

Old 29th Jul 2007, 10:19   #1
Ang
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Default Hairspray

The film Hairspray is mentioned in the Summer Sadness thread, but I saw it last night and wanted to give it it's own thread.

My husband and I stopped at a cinema after dropping our sons off at summer camp. We have not been to the cinema to see something on our own since, well, since the eldest was born I suppose.

This was the only film which was tempting. I have never seen the stage production, and indeed forgot there was one until the show started. I think Hubby thought - oh no, a musical - you didn't tell me it was a musical!

We both thoroughly enjoyed it. John Travolta is great as Edna, but he doesn't steal the show. No one does - they're all excellent. And Christopher Walken is a good dancer!

It was pure fun from start to finish.

Old 25th Mar 2008, 22:20   #2
JunkMonkey
Senior Palimpsester
should be ashamed

Default Re: Hairspray

Was this the same film I just ripped out of my DVD player in disgust? I thought it was the most flatulent piece of rubbish I have seen in ages. The original is a classic piece of self-deprecating, low-brow, lo budget, quirky, knowing trash. The remake is a vacant, pumped-up, chicken twizzler of mass produced, overblown, steroidal, corporate shite. The music is dull. I can't remeber a single tune from (the first half) of it and I just switched it off 10 minutes ago. The dance numbers are all the same dance starts small in a room and then, unable to contain their exuberance the people burst out into hall / road / large open space and suddenly a brazzillion people are dancing! the same steps in perfect unison - hey it worked in every episode of Fame let's do it again - and again - and again - oh god, make it stop!

Boring pants. Go see the original.

where's the turd icon?

There Are Not Seven Words In My Signature
JunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2008, 0:03   #3
Ang
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

I'm too young for the original.
Old 26th Mar 2008, 17:30   #4
Hekaterine
Palimpsestarian
laughs in the face of fear

I liked both versions of this (although I think I liked different bits of each one) and thought they updated the new one well so that it was still recogniseable as Hairspray but didn't lose the kitsch qualities of the original.

I liked the dancing but then I'm one of the saddos who could do all the moves to Saturday Night, the Macarena, Wig Wam Bam...

Oh the shame

EDIT - have just realised; I am Tracy Turnblad!
Hekaterine is offline   Reply With Quote