Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Palimpsest Forums > All About Palimpsest > Doing Stuff

Old 11th Oct 2006, 10:36   #1
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid
Default Help!!!!

This is a new forum to answer a few people's requests for a sort of Palimp-manual, a place where you can find out how to do things around here.

If there is something you would like explaining, whether about signatures, or posting pictures in messages, feel free to reply to this thread requesting something. Then, a knowledgable and helpful Palimper will respond with a new thread on that topic.

Hope this makes sense!
Old 11th Oct 2006, 18:55   #2
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Default Re: Help!!!!

Great idea, thanks.

pandop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2006, 20:10   #3
Beth
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

in advance for displaying such ineptitude, but here goes...

1. How can I create a hyperlink that would lead to a photo as Honey Potts and Stewart have done?

2. How can I place the reading list or Flickr link into the signature?

Thanks in advance to the knowledgeable and helpful Palimper who creates the learning thread for these topics. It's the damndest thing, those of us who can read literature but for whom FAQ, read over and over, produces a flat line response.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Oct 2006, 22:03   #4
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid

OK Beth, will get something written up sometime tomorrow.
Old 13th Oct 2006, 23:42   #5
Beth
Senior Palimpsester

Wonderful, and anytime is fine. No hurry. Am also trying to self educate on this as it's become necessary like dialing the phone.
Old 14th Oct 2006, 15:52   #6
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

I hope this is helpful for your Question 2, beth, and not too confusing!

To put a Reading List or Flickr Page into your signature, first of all you need to know the URL (web address) of the page you want to link to. For your Flickr page, this will be in the address bar when you're on your Flickr page. Go to your Edit Signature page and click on the Hyperlink button to insert the link to your Flickr page; copy and paste your Flickr address into the box and press OK. Your signature box will give you a highlighted chunk in the middle of its formatting which you can change to whatever you like eg. My Flickr Page - these will then be the hyperlinked words you can click in your signature.

For your Reading List here at Palimpsest you need to go to your Reading List and find out its exact location (by clicking on its post count number on the top right of your post (yours is #36)

Your reading list address comes out as this - (but I have removed the http:// bit so that you can see it all)

palimpsest.org.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=44850&postcount=36

And you can link to just your Reading List post by, again, going to your Edit Signature page in User CP. You can click on the hyperlink icon and, again, post that above address into the box provided, and change the highlighted text to My Reading List or some such.

If you want to link to your Reading List but it be still embedded in the page where it is (rather than an isolated post on its own), you have to change the address slightly, to this: (I have highlighted the changes in blue, and put curly brackets so that it doesn't automatically link!)

{url=http://palimpsest.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=44850#44850]My reading List[/url}

To hyperlink to a particular photo, if it is hosted at Flickr, then the URL of that pic is usually given when you look at the All Sizes option (usually underneath the picture in a little box of its own); find the URL of the size of picture you want to link to, and when you make your post at the Palimp, use the icon for linking to an image (the little pic of the mountains above the text box), and put in the URL you have copied from your Flickr (or any other) page.

(And I hope I haven't got any of this wrong!)
Old 14th Oct 2006, 16:23   #7
Beth
Senior Palimpsester

Thank you, Col for taking the time to explain. Your words are very clear and understandable. I have printed your instructions and will follow them like a recipe. I'm sure after I do this, it will make sense.
Old 15th Oct 2006, 18:11   #8
JunkMonkey
Senior Palimpsester
should be ashamed

Well followed. Your reading list link in your sig works just fine.

There Are Not Seven Words In My Signature
JunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2006, 13:04   #9
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

How would I go about changing my username?

pandop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2006, 13:08   #10
HP
Senior Palimpsester

I think you just have to ask, Hazel and our good lord, W will provide! And I'm thinking of joining you in submitting a request to do just that. The HoneyPotts nonsense is a joke I grew weary of many moons ago - a simple HP would be infinitely preferable all round.
HP is offline   Reply With Quote