Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Film Reviews

Old 13th Jan 2006, 11:51   #21
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Default Re: Brokeback Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxivida
Why? Do you think that the movie couldn't be better than the story?
No. Did I say that?
Old 13th Jan 2006, 12:28   #22
maxivida
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Send a message via ICQ to maxivida Send a message via MSN to maxivida

No, that's why I asked you. Sounded like you suggested it.

maxivida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2006, 13:57   #23
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid

Oh no. It's starting again.

Last edited by Wavid; 13th Jan 2006 at 14:13.
Wavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2006, 14:20   #24
maxivida
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Send a message via ICQ to maxivida Send a message via MSN to maxivida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavid
You'd like that, wouldn't you?

maxivida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jan 2006, 14:22   #25
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid

I would love it!
Old 15th Jan 2006, 22:11   #26
John Self
Administrator

Saw Brokeback Mountain tonight and, while I liked it very much, I didn't see it as a balls-out unassailable masterpiece. Weakened perhaps by my experience of the original story, not to mention Honey's and others' rave reviews of it, I was expecting it to be bottomlessly heartbreaking, when in the end I found it 'only' satisfyingly moving. Why this was I can't be sure, but I think it had something to do with the fact that for most of the central period of the film, it seemed that Jack and Ennis's infrequent couplings were actually a pretty satisfactory arrangement for them both. It only really comes out that they weren't when they have a bust-up by the lakeside on what turns out to be their last 'fishing expedition.' This is no doubt defensible on the basis that these are no-nonsense, uncomplaining men, of few and fewer words respectively. But in that case, I think the director runs the risk of allowing understatement (on his/his characters' part) to lead to underwhelming (for us). Significantly, I think where on the page Proulx's minimalist prose gives the emotional core of the story a stark edge, film works differently with the additional opportunities for the eye and the ear, and when these too are given little to do, we feel more detached from the story rather than more involved. Not that the film doesn't look properly handsome, particularly in the early scenes with seas of sheep on Brokeback Mountain. And the performances, particularly from Heath Ledger, are magnificent. Nonetheless for me it was missing a little something, and perhaps by its own admirable restraint, it failed to push me over the edge.

Old 15th Jan 2006, 22:31   #27
HP
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Ah shame. You're a hard-hearted swine, to be sure, Mr S ...

Actually, I sort of sympathise. Because I've declared my love for this film in such a robust fashion, I've given it an almost impossible reputation for it to live up to. (Still stand by my glowing assessment, though!)
HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2006, 22:42   #28
John Self
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey
You're a hard-hearted swine, to be sure, Mr S
Not at all! - in fact because I'm such a liberal PC type, I think I wanted to like it more just because of its relatively groundbreaking subject matter for a mainstream film. But I couldn't lie to myself and pretend I liked it more than I did (which was still a great deal). Part of the problem, too, may have been that with me very much ruled by my head rather than my heart, I think I need a stronger or at least longer dose of emotional intensity for me to really respond in full, for which I suppose the best measure is to weep like a baby. It does happen, most recently I think at Finding Neverland, where the heartstring-tugging was fairly protracted. So maybe I should wait for the director's cut...
Old 15th Jan 2006, 23:03   #29
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Saw Brokeback this weekend too, and I do know what you mean, JS, but I think ultimately I went the extra mile and, despite a relative (and a mean relative, compared to the rest of the high standards on show) dip at the start of the third act, it knitted together wonderfully well at the end; and the whole thing with the shirt...well, it pretty much rocked me back on my heels. I have to join everyone in praising Heath Ledger who gives the Understated Acting masterclass of a generation - it's spectacular in its non-spectacular-y-ness (and where did he drag that voice from?).

I hadn't read the story (about to hunt it out now) and like HP I'm glad. I was properly lifted up and dropped down in all the right places (Ennis's simple "you bet" postcard, then that postcard towards the end being two standout moments mirroring the boys' highs and lows).

Stetsons off to Ang Lee, say I.
Old 16th Jan 2006, 0:18   #30
Maggie
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

I just saw this film today. I must say that I think it was outstanding. I do wish that, and this doesn't happen all that often, I had seen the movie first. I think some of the emotional impact was decreased by the fact that I knew what was going to happen. Looking around me in the theater, I could see that many were teary eyed and I did hear a few sniffles. The scenery and the acting made this film a cut above. The simple things that Proulx focused on, the postcards, the simplicity of the converstations and the shirt were wonderful. My sister thought it slow........it was in a way, it certainly wasn't Spiderman or a rolicking who done it. IMHO, readers tend to enjoy "slow" movies more often than those who don't read much. (my sister is NOT a reader) This is just a personal observation.

Maggie

Oscar Wilde, 1854-1900

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79565255@N00/
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote