Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Palimpsest Forums > All About Palimpsest

Old 6th Jun 2005, 8:09   #1
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid
Default Issues and Problems

Thought I might add a small topic here just to inform everyone about any issues that might affect the Palimpular one's availability and whatnot. Obviously the actual use of this is negligible, as if the board is down you can't read these messages either, but I think it will be useful to be able to keep everyone informed about what problems are likely to occur and the reasons for them so that people don't get worried and stuff.

H'okay!
Old 6th Jun 2005, 8:15   #2
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

What about when our webmaster goes AWOL for weeks??
Old 6th Jun 2005, 8:16   #3
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid
Default Sessions Errors

This is what prompted me to set up this topic, and it's a fairly regular one, the most recent outbreak being this morning.

I don't fully understand what the problem is, but essentially, everytime someone views the Palimforums, a 'session' is created. When this is a real person, they do so nicely, moving from one forum or topic to another in a nice leisurely way. But when it is a bit of software (for example, the 'robots' which read sites on Google's behalf, say, or some evil spammer type) they tend to bludgeon their way through, often leaving Palimpsest then coming back in again over and over again. This means they end up creating one session after another. If this process happens a lot at once, the database doesn't have time to clear the sessions table and the site hangs, displaying this message, or something similar:

Code:
phpBB : Critical Error 

Error creating new session

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1114 The table 'phpbb_sessions' is full

INSERT INTO phpbb_sessions (session_id, session_user_id, session_start, session_time, session_ip, session_page, session_logged_in) VALUES ('141c684d86a5a98e9caf3db38c0b686a', -1, 1118041045, 1118041045, '3ee78025', 0, 0)

Line : 170
File : sessions.php
It isn't serious, more annoying than anything, and the fix is simply for me to manually clear the sessions table myself, which is a 30 second job. But, if I am not about we might have to wait for the automatic clearing to happen, which means there might be a lack of Palimpaction for a little while.

So there you have it!
Old 6th Jun 2005, 8:17   #4
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self
What about when our webmaster goes AWOL for weeks??
Then the other admin dudes have to do some work for a change!
Old 18th Jun 2005, 18:49   #5
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

I upgraded the phpBB software this evening, which may have meant some downtime - apologies for any inconvenience!
Old 12th Aug 2005, 21:14   #6
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Further upgrade this evening. Hopefully this will sort out the recent sessions errors we keep getting...
Old 18th Sep 2005, 19:19   #7
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Default Re: Issues and Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavid
Further upgrade this evening. Hopefully this will sort out the recent sessions errors we keep getting...
This will all be a thing of the past now we have the new system!
Old 27th Sep 2005, 15:27   #8
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

I have made A DISCOVERY. You know I was talking about a "Today's Posts" button, as opposed to the "New Posts" button we normally have.

Well. If you log out from Palimpsest, and browse the forum, you find "New Posts" is replaced by "Today's Posts", a list I find much more useful than "New Posts".

Thought you'd all like to know that.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Sep 2005, 15:30   #9
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Indeed. It must therefore be possible to cut the code that produces this for the unregistered users and copy it in somewhere for the registered types. Will look into it!
Old 27th Sep 2005, 15:33   #10
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

I don't think we should abandon New Posts, though, 'cos that's useful for someone who's away for a while.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote