Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Palimpsest Groups > The Book Group Discussions

Old 20th May 2008, 10:12   #111
Digger
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Send a message via MSN to Digger
Default Re: Book 34: DR HAGGARD'S DISEASE by Patrick McGrath

I was horrified when I finished this, slow mounting inexorable sense of horrified. Ooo, it makes me shudder even now! Excellent stuff. I don't think I picked up on your point JS at the time, although now that makes perfect sense to me too.

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 12:53   #112
Jed the Fed
Junior Palimpsestarian
is new to Palimpsest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
And, for your information. If you put your text between [HIDE] [/HIDE] tags, then you can have spoilers like this:

The butler did it.
So that's how you do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self View Post
on Book Group threads I think we can have spoilers as we presume anyone reading this has read the book.
Righto! Being new, I was just taking precautions!

Quote:
you could if you like interpret the book as the whole mass of thoughts and memories which race and rage through Haggard's head in those few minutes. The written form is the thoughts unpicked and reordered for our pleasure.
Yes, I totally agree, John. This was a detail I took a great deal of satisfaction from. In the same way we learn that Spider on the inside is an articulate, thoughtful and complex person. But on the outside he's a mumbling, shifting, nervous-wreck who can't communicate with anybody. And how you learn that Sir Hugo in The Grotesque is merely running the narrative through his own mind while facing a wall. It's one thing I love about McGrath; his little details regarding the nature of the narrative which make the story even more weird.

Quote:
Oh, and you'll love Port Mungo and his new novel Trauma. But probably not Martha Peake.
This is my suspicion entirely! I was listening to a radio interview McGrath did about Martha the other week and it sounded like he wanted to write a personal historical novel which would allow him to talk about America from an English viewpoint. I'll still give it a bash, but I do have my reservations.

But I can't WAIT for Trauma, John; that's next on my list and then I'll wade through the others according to your recommendations. I can't wait to see how McGrath writes in a more recent environment; particularly a place like New York. Just finishing a handful of other books and then I'll order myself a copy.

Cheers all
Jed the Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 12:59   #113
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Oh and if you haven't seen it Jed, there's a short interview with McGrath on my blog.

He'll be over in the UK to promote the publication of Trauma in July. I'm guessing any appearances will be in London so metrocentric Palimpsesters can keep an eye out.
Old 20th May 2008, 18:01   #114
Jed the Fed
Junior Palimpsestarian
is new to Palimpsest

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self View Post
Oh and if you haven't seen it Jed, there's a short interview with McGrath on my blog.

He'll be over in the UK to promote the publication of Trauma in July. I'm guessing any appearances will be in London so metrocentric Palimpsesters can keep an eye out.
Yes, I've read it. And good work, John; a very interesting interview and a great blog in general.

Hopefully I'll be able to make any promotional work McGrath does over here, but it's a prospect hampered by the fact that I'm about to graduate from uni. I live in hope...
Jed the Fed is offline   Reply With Quote