Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Book Reviews

Old 17th Aug 2010, 10:31   #1
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Default Booker Prize 2011

Sod it, let's get cracking. The 2010 prize is so much less fun when we know who's going to win (well, down to the last 13 anyway).

A few thoughts for titles that will be eligible for the 2011 prize:
  • Adam Mars-Jones, Cedilla (Jan 2011) - the second volume of John Cromer's story ("'adventures' sounds a little too hectic"). Got to be a long shot, as it's the middle volume of a trilogy, but that worked for Gerard Woodward in 2004...
  • Alan Hollinghurst, no idea of the title but apparently it's due out next spring
  • Kevin Barry, City of Bohane (April 2011) - I think Cape will be pushing this one quite hard. It's the debut novel from the author of the story collection There Are Little Kingdoms, which I'm currently reading, and which is published by Stinging Fly, a small Irish press. The stories are kind of Patrick McCabe meets League of Gentlemen. "He knew what it was like to drink big in small towns. It was hard sometimes - you had to have the same good time over and over again."
  • Linda Grant, We Had it So Good (Jan 2011). Her last novel The Clothes on their Backs was the (pleasant) surprise of the 2008 Booker list for me, so I'm looking forward to this one, and it will be an automatic submission for the prize.
  • Richard Beard, Lazarus the Planmaker (working title). "Tells the story of the last year of Lazarus's life, when he was being smited with every disease to make Jesus' last miracle that much more impressive." This is the author best known for novels written under Oulipian constraints, such as Damascus, which was written using only the words contained in the Times newspaper on 1 Nov 1993. Out sometime next year, published by Harvill Secker, so should be eligible.
Any other suggestions?
Old 17th Aug 2010, 10:50   #2
paddyjoe
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Default Re: Booker Prize 2011

Edward Docx (a previous longlistee) has a book out in April, The Devil's Garden.

I know Patrick McCabe hasn't darkened the Booker longlist for many years but his books are always worth checking out. New one, The Stray Sod Country, out in October so eligible for the 2011 prize.

I believe Alan Hollinghurst also has a book due in 2011.
12 11
paddyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2010, 12:04   #3
John Self
Administrator

Amazon are listing a title called The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright for May 2011, though no indication if it's a novel.

Also in May, Jacques Strauss's The Dubious Salvation of Jack V.; the author is London-based South African, so is eligible. "Ostensibly the story of a boy with identity problems and a meditation on the rivalry between English and Afrikaans communities."

David Lodge has A Man of Parts out in April.

Philip Hensher's King of the Badgers (March) will be an automatic submission as The Northern Clemency was shortlisted in 2008.

Justin Cartwright, Other People's Money (March). Can't remember if I've actually read anything by him, but he always seems to have a new book out.

Tim Pears, Disputed Land (March). The one who's not Tim Parks.

David Baddiel, The Death of Eli Gold (March).

David Szalay, March (March!). I read his novel The Innocent last year, which was good. One of those 'ones to watch'.

Robert Edric, The London Satyr (March). Previous longlister and productive powerhouse.

Paul Bailey, Chapman's Odyssey (Jan). `If Fred Astaire had been a novelist he'd have been Paul Bailey. This beautiful, moving novel is a piece of dazzling footwork and reveals Bailey once more as one of the wittiest, most panacheful and most graceful writers we have. I love this beautiful book' --Ali Smith

Chris Cleave, After the End of the World (Jan). I didn't like what I read of The Other Hand, but this one is guaranteed to get a lot of coverage.

Tessa Hadley, The London Train (Jan). Don't even know if this is a novel, but I've heard of her last one, The Master Bedroom.

Lloyd Jones, Hand Me Down World (Nov). Automatic submission because of Mister Pip (2007).

Russell Hoban, Angelica Lost and Found (Nov). Any connection with Angelica's Grotto, I wonder?

Douglas Coupland, Player One (Oct).

Obviously this list is limited to authors I've heard of and so know are eligible, and there are usually a few surprises and unknown names on the Booker list (though there weren't many in 2010). Also, quite a few of these titles are published by Random House imprints, perhaps because they have so many, or perhaps they are better at getting their titles up on Amazon early. Of course the more eligible titles a publisher has, the harder it is for them to choose which two to submit.
Old 17th Aug 2010, 22:54   #4
SamG
Junior Palimpsestarian
is hanging around suspiciously

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self View Post
Justin Cartwright, Other People's Money (March). Can't remember if I've actually read anything by him, but he always seems to have a new book out.

[...]

Robert Edric, The London Satyr (March). Previous longlister and productive powerhouse.
Too funny!
Old 17th Aug 2010, 23:04   #5
John Self
Administrator

Actually I've just noticed that Justin Cartwright's novel is made up of the title of two Martin Amis novels. Does Little Mart get a cut?
Old 19th Aug 2010, 11:49   #6
Lizzy Siddal
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

A L Kennedy has a new novel out next year - not sure when as she's still writing it and she won't reveal the title. She read an excerpt out at Edinburgh yesterday - and very good it was too!
Old 27th Sep 2010, 13:22   #7
paddyjoe
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

I hear there is a new book to come from Edward St Aubyn. At Last due in 2011 will be a must-read for me. Also heard that The Forgotten Waltz is being touted as "Anne Enright's follow-up to the Man Booker winner The Gathering" so looks like a new novel.
12 11
Old 27th Sep 2010, 16:33   #8
Ang
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Woo-hoo! Both very exciting, paddyjoe.
Old 25th Nov 2010, 11:25   #9
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Send a message via MSN to Stewart

The judges, chaired by Dame Stella Rimington, former Director-General of MI5, are:

Matthew d'Ancona, writer and journalist;
Susan Hill, author;
Chris Mullin, author and politician; and
Gaby Wood, Head of Books at the Daily Telegraph.

Hey, with Rimington in charge, it could be Tom Rob Smith's year...
Old 13th Jan 2011, 22:48   #10
paddyjoe
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Rules and Entry conditions for Booker submissions for 2011.

Quote:
4. ENTRY OF BOOKS

a) United Kingdom publishers may enter up to two full-length novels, with scheduled publication dates between 1 October 2010 and 30 September 2011. In addition, any title by an author who has previously won the Booker or Man Booker prize, and any title by an author who has been shortlisted or won may be submitted.
Looks like the 'shortlisted in the previous 10 years' rule has been opened to include any previously shortlisted author.
12 11