Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > Politics & Society

Old 9th Dec 2006, 13:53   #21
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Default Re: Political Correctness

Excellent points, Hek and beer good. That's appalling that George Alagiah said that: isn't he supposed to be impartial as a Beeb newsreader?
Old 9th Dec 2006, 14:13   #22
Hekaterine
Palimpsestarian
laughs in the face of fear

That point came up during the Q&A session, JS - apparently he has to be politically impartial - i.e. he can't say 'I agree with X party over Y on such-and-such a point'.

He was a very good speaker though - more in favour of an integrationist approach than I expected, and I disagreed with more of what he had to say than I thought I would. I'll wait till his book comes out in paperback and then see what I make of that.
Hekaterine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2006, 21:36   #23
Hinton
Palimpsestarian
has nowt better to do

Beware the PC Brigade, for they are everywhere!

If you want to know, and to some degree understand the sort of people the linked nonsense appeals to, take a look at this (http://www.cricket247.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4016) hugely depressing thread from a cricket forum I occasionally post on. Pay particular attention to an individual who styles himself 'theguvnor'.
Old 10th Dec 2006, 7:41   #24
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self View Post
Excellent points, Hek and beer good. That's appalling that George Alagiah said that: isn't he supposed to be impartial as a Beeb newsreader?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hekaterine View Post
That point came up during the Q&A session, JS - apparently he has to be politically impartial - i.e. he can't say 'I agree with X party over Y on such-and-such a point'.

I think that's fair enough so long as it's not political points he is making. You would similarly hear John Humphries or whoever on the Today programme being scathing at the Winterval thing (which does deserve to be ridiculed wherever it is actually found to be true and not just a rumour).
Old 10th Dec 2006, 13:49   #25
John Self
Administrator

The cricket thread is not that depressing, Hinton: most of the posters are telling theguvnor to stop being such a twat.
Old 10th Dec 2006, 14:46   #26
kaninaki
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

Send a message via MSN to kaninaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self View Post
Some more nice pics of John and Laura on this page. Seems they regularly address upwards of 30 people at their meetings.
This is hilarious!

Laura looks FAT in these pics. Hey, is it OK to call her FAT? I mean she won't mind, eh?

And, can it possibly be true about being told not to say black coffee? May I offer a suggestion from the politically incorrect Greeks who, by fluke of grammar, I guess, do not offend blacks or coffee when they ask for it sketo, that is, plain coffee.

~Thomas Nagel.

This Absurd Life
kaninaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2006, 18:45   #27
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Send a message via MSN to Stewart

I love the stupid repetitive keywords hidden at the bottom of the page to try and help people find them on the web:

Quote:
political correctness gone mad political correctness gone mad political correctness gone mad political correctness gone mad political correctness gone mad political correctness gone mad political correctness gone mad political correctness gone mad political correctness gone mad political correctness gone mad political correctness gone mad political correctness gone mad political correctness gone mad political correctness gone mad political correctness gone mad political correctness gone mad political correctness gone mad political correctness gone mad the politically correct scrapbook the politically correct scrapbook the politically correct scrapbook the politically correct scrapbook john and laura midgley campaign against political correctness
They seem under the mistaken notion that repetition may actually help. In truth, sites that do this sort of same colour on same background keywords and/or link farming tend to get blacklisted by search engines. Can we even call it "black"-listed anymore?

Also, what's the deal with 'nitty-gritty'? Does it have some forgotten meaning I'm ignorant of?
Old 10th Dec 2006, 18:54   #28
kaninaki
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

Send a message via MSN to kaninaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
Can we even call it "black"-listed anymore?
Er. No. Sorry, the PC term is Blocklist. Please refrain from further insult by using this term in the future.
~Thomas Nagel.

This Absurd Life
kaninaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2006, 18:56   #29
John Self
Administrator

Yes I noticed that Stewart! I did say they clearly aren't professional web designers...

Nitty gritty apparently comes from something to do with slaving ships, though I can't remember anything more of it than that. As such, to require that it not be used - when nobody knows what it means unless you explain it to them - really would be political correctness gone mad, if it had ever happened (has it?).

EDIT: Here's something on it. Looks as though it doesn't really have any slavery connection.
Old 10th Dec 2006, 23:07   #30
HP
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

I don't think it's necessarily some of the word/term changes that make the 'political-correctness-gorn-maaaad' mob get so angry as the sudden proliferation of them. The newspapers feed that frenzy, dredging up new (and sometimes totally fictitious) ones almost every week - as has already been noted. Some new terms sound reasonable to me; some don't. But then I really can't be stuffed with all the commotion over them. If people would worry more about how they behaved towards each other in practical terms, not just in lip service, you'd have a kinder world. Frankly the fuss over all this bores me rigid. Calling people derogatory names is something that starts in the playground and should end in the playground, but it doesn't, of course. But then some people never grow up, do they? Whatever you do, there will always be people like that. Like everybody here, I'm sure, I'm not prejudiced against people because of the colour of their skin; I'm not a feminist who gets huffed by terms that aren't strictly androgenous or applicable to both sexes; I don't hate people because of their religion (though I might think them right chumps or loathe the way they try to inflict their religious beliefs on others); and I'm certainly not dismissive of those who have physical disabilities - quite, quite the opposite. It's stating the bleedin' obvious to say it's the quality of the individual that matters not the group they can be lazily lumped with that's important, but the obvious holds true, so I'll state it. Therefore forgive me if I can't be bothered to fart-arse around using the latest terms of choice. If someone expresses a preference for a term to apply to themselves, fine, I'll use it.But if not, I use those terms I've always used. If your thinking and attitude are fair-minded, then the tone of your delivery and the context of your words will convey that. I've worked in factories where a lot of the language is ripe and insults are hurled about like there's no tomorrow, but it's totally inoffensive to all concerned because the intention behind it all is just good natured humour. Everyone understands the language and understands it's harmless. Equally, I've heard some very unpleasant gossip and rumour mongering about folk, because of their colour, religion, disabilities etc expressed in very genteel polite terms, nary a four-letter word in sight. But the malice is palpable. Telling people to change their language doesn't change their attitude. It's mere window-dressing. The real work that needs to be done is to open minds that are closed; minds that are full of unreasonable prejudice and blinkered to the qualities of the individual.

Last edited by HP; 10th Dec 2006 at 23:22.
HP is offline   Reply With Quote