Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > Politics & Society

Old 11th Oct 2007, 10:39   #71
leyla
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Default Re: Political Correctness

OK, I stand corrected! These terms of abuse for English people are indeed threatening and derogatory. But I doubt bigots like Jim Davidson would put themselves into a situation where they would be on the receiving end of them. Can you imagine Davidson surrounding himself with an audience of nationalist Scots or Pakistanis and then insulting them to the extent that they turned their ire on him? His humour depends very much on the cosiness of knowing he has a predominantly white, hetero audience sniggering with him. Prejudice often cowers in the safety of mass approval.
leyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2007, 10:50   #72
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

I'm sure you're right, leyla, Davidson has embraced this (what other route apart from his resignation and suicide did he have?) and is about to undergo The Devil Rides Out tour:

What a cunt.

I suppose the only good thing about this is that he's finally decided to publicly paint himself into that corner, rather than insist on his Cheeky Chappie, It-Don't-Hurt-No-one approach.

Cocksucker.

Old 11th Oct 2007, 12:29   #73
Kimberley
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

There seem to be insulting terms for all racial groups. In Australia, 'Anglos' (as the sef-definition usually goes) are known as 'Skips' to members of other races. (Comes from Skippy the bush kangaroo, believe it or not.)

It is not meant or used in an affectionate way.
Kimberley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2007, 12:33   #74
MikeMk1
Palimpsestarian
has nowt better to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by amner View Post
Davidson has embraced this (what other route apart from his resignation and suicide did he have?)
Please don't tell me that polling has stopped - I'm sure we could get some last minute votes for No. 3.
Old 11th Oct 2007, 16:02   #75
Beth
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post
Clearly, I don't identify with Feminism with a capital F. I am a feminist to the extent that I believe that women should control their own bodies, that they should be paid equally for equal work, that they should have equal access to education and job opportunities, that they should have a right to expect to participate equally within both public and private institutions, that they should be free from violence, both physical and psychic. But I expect this for every person on earth. And it is because of this that I rather shy away from the label of feminist-it wants to polarize the debate and frame human society as a zero sum game between men and women.

And I suspect, or hope, that our young people see it this way as well. we need to reframe the question, not in terms of men vs woman, but in terms of what works best for all.
And I'd submit that it's their Wanting wot makes it uncomfortable. How dare a group of Other sorts, using imperfect language, ask to be brought to the table. It's easy for those who are relatively satisfied with their lot to feel those Other elbows and nudge them back off. And millions of justifications can be used to do that.

Just as Labor helped my grandfather earn enough to build a home not owned by a coal company, Feminism in part made it possible for me to get an education that translates into a wage. Even though these movements are stumbling and awkward and sometimes poorly represented, I can't help but see them as valuable overall. Okay, enough wit' intense thoughts.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Oct 2007, 22:59   #76
Ang
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth View Post
Even though these movements are stumbling and awkward and sometimes poorly represented, I can't help but see them as valuable overall.
Oryx and Beth, you've lost me a bit (my problem, not yours - I'll try again in the morning to understand all of it).

But the above statement is soooo true. My two sons can spot sexism and they don't like it. One aspect of my job is done...
Old 13th Jul 2015, 0:16   #77
loupgarous
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

I just count myself lucky that in three months' residence in England in 2004, not one person called me a "septic"

And when our two sons' mates shouted outside our flat at the break of dawn, "Wake up, you Yank arseholes, and play some football!" I knew then and there we'd been welcomed into Welwyn Garden City, Herts with open arms by its hospitable citizens.

Seriously, the people who get their drawers in a twist about "political correctness" give real right-wing curmudgeons who object to the government forcing every one of us down while Big Insurance does bad things to us a bad, bad name.

"Those whom the gods would destroy, they first make ridiculous." P.J. O'Rourke

Last edited by loupgarous; 13th Jul 2015 at 1:00.
loupgarous is offline   Reply With Quote