Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Book Reviews

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd Jul 2007, 21:45   #11
Lizzy Siddal
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!
 
Lizzy Siddal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 Feb 2006
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Posts: 696
Default Re: Panama Oxridge: Justin Thyme

I've just seen the little spat on bookgrouponline and never one to resist a controvery, I've just ordered the book! It sounds rather entertaining.
__________________
Reviews at Lizzy's Literary Life
Lizzy Siddal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2007, 11:54   #12
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision
 
John Self's Avatar
 
Join Date: 27 Jun 2003
Location: Belfast
Posts: 15,939
Default Re: Panama Oxridge: Justin Thyme

I see Paul Adshead/Panama Oxridge/Justin Thyme's fans have been visiting the comments section of the Costa Book Awards...
__________________
Reading Vasily Grossman, Life and Fate | Asylum | Book List
John Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2007, 12:08   #13
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes
 
Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: 26 May 2005
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 6,884
Send a message via MSN to Stewart
Default Re: Panama Oxridge: Justin Thyme

Surely self-published books aren't eligible?
__________________
Reading: Concrete Island, J.G. Ballard| flickr | blog | world lit | beer
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2007, 12:28   #14
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision
 
John Self's Avatar
 
Join Date: 27 Jun 2003
Location: Belfast
Posts: 15,939
Default Re: Panama Oxridge: Justin Thyme

That's what I said in my comment (which hasn't appeared so far).
__________________
Reading Vasily Grossman, Life and Fate | Asylum | Book List
John Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jul 2007, 14:49   #15
Lizzy Siddal
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!
 
Lizzy Siddal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 Feb 2006
Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland
Posts: 696
Default Re: Panama Oxridge: Justin Thyme

I received my copy yesterday. It's sure is a lovely looking book.

__________________
Reviews at Lizzy's Literary Life
Lizzy Siddal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2007, 14:03   #16
The Book Keeper
Banned
is new to Palimpsest
 
Join Date: 1 Jul 2007
Posts: 1
Angry Re: Panama Oxridge: Justin Thyme

I have watched this thread develop for a couple of weeks and have read all of the posts upon it, including the very amusing but 'quite rightly deleted' post by Stewart which "exposed" that .... STOP PRESS, ... I "The Book Keeper" had now registered for this forum, ... and was critical of me for so doing! ... (Laughably implying that the very fact that I had decided to register on here and at a few other online book forums last week, clearly indicated that some 'massive conspiracy' was waiting to be uncovered and 'heralding my arrival' as if I was at the very least the "anti-christ!" ) I thought it now appropriate to make a post (my first on here) in order to clarify a few "misconceptions" about both me, this book and it's author!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
Is there some sort of campaign to get this book noticed at the moment?
Not as far as I'm aware and certainly not one that involves me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
Two of the other forums I visit have both had people join recently mentioning this book. I find it all highly suspicious.
Why? ... Justin Thyme is a great new book! I'm sure that many people that have actually taken the time to read it before passing comment, (such as myself) may have been sufficiently impressed by it to feel the need to "share" their enthusiasm for it with others! .... Isn't this one of the reasons for the existance of book forums such as this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self View Post
Of course even if it's the greatest work of literature in the history of mankind, that wouldn't make a dishonest word-of-mouth campaign - if that's what it is - or an honest campaign based on (sigh) 'collectability,' any less contemptible.
And what are your views on vindictive bad-mouth campaigns and (sigh) 'uninformed' comment on books by people that clearly haven't read them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
Hey, perhaps Panama is actually Christopher Priest, as per the nasty email the admin of this forum received..
There you go Stewart, ... naming names again! ... why do you feel the need to do this all of the time? ... You refered to the author of Justin Thyme as "a complete ae" in your post on this children & Young Adults Forum and received a fully justifyable reprimand for so doing! ... I also noticed that you used this post to once again mention me and without any reason other than your own (WRONG) assumptions about my motives, felt completely justifed in publicly 'slandering me' once again!
..... I also thought your "How does knowing the author's name spoil the book? " post on the Book Group Online site particularly revealing of your spectacular lack of knowledge about this book! (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here and assuming that you weren't just playing dumb to be awkward.) ... So how come you feel qualified to pass comment and/or judgement upon it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil View Post
Pillock. We have to start to wonder if the "reviews" on the Book Group Online site are genuine and whether the guy who bought a £1000 1st ed off eBay is not, in fact, another pseudonym of the author paying eBay's commission as cheap publicity.
You can stop 'wondering' gil! ... My review on the Book Group Online site is 100% genuine AND 100% independant. Seeing as how I also happen to be 'the guy who bought a £1000 1st ed off eBay' ... I'm happy to confirm that you are in fact completely wrong on both counts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self View Post
Well, as he was so worried about being mistaken for J.K. Rowling, I helpfully provided his real name, which the mods there have now deleted. Whose side are they on!
The mods represent the best interests of the readers of their forum as I'm sure you are only too well aware, and do not take 'sides'! Your post on The Book Group Online was both very childish and extremely vindictive given that you know, (or would do if you had bothered to read this book before passing comment upon it) that just one of the many attractions of Justin Thyme is that it's intended readership, (children!) must try to identify the name of the author from clues hidden within it's text and illustrations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil View Post
Adshead, wasn't it?
Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil View Post
He shouldn't have to resort to guerrilla marketing methods
But he isn't as far as I can ascertain! ... Where is the evidence for this claim? ... It would appear that you are once again completely wrong about this point and make the above 'statement of fact' as if it is based upon solid evidence, when the simple truth is that it is based on nothing other than the 'misconceptions' being expressed within this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self View Post
And surely if part of the 'fun' of the book is in working out who really wrote it (and how self-aggrandizing is that for an author, exactly?), then he should be positively encouraging speculation, including speculation that it's the work of an established author.
As this post reveals, you are clearly aware that "part of the 'fun' of the book" is indeed in attempting to work out who really wrote it! ... This is what makes your "What's this guy's problem? He isn't JK Rowling (he's **** *)" post on the Book Group Online particularly nasty! As for you assertion that this concept is somehow "self-aggrandizing" I just don't see it? ... The author's name does NOT appear in the book or upon Justin Thyme's book jacket, there are also no photo's of the author in the book or upon the website! As such I'd say that this is just about the least "self-aggrandising" book that has even been published!

What seems to have been missed by everybody that feels they are qualified to 'pass judgement' on the wisdom of Justin Thyme's author having taken the decision to email the moderators of Book Group Online, is the relevence of the fact that Panama Oxridge requested that his/her statement be quoted in full! This fact, when taken in conjunction with the content of the final paragraph of that email:

"I make it a strict rule NEVER to get personally involved in ANY online forums discussing my work."

clearly indicates to me that the primary reason that Panama Oxridge felt compelled to take this step was not simply to prevent further 'conjecture' about the possibility that he/she is J.K. Rowling, (though this WAS indeed a very responsible thing to do if this mistaken belief could have led to some people buying the book for this reason alone) but had more to do with clearly indicating that he/she is NOT responsible for the appearance of ANY of the complimentary posts about Justin Thyme that are appearing online and in Forums such as this one!

May I point out that it is quite possibly the totally unfounded and quite frankly ridiculous notions about 'dishonest campaigns' and 'cheap publicity' being coordinated by the author that have been being expressed on this thread, that may have been at least partially 'instrumental' in Panama Oxridge feeling the need to take the step of issuing that statement!

To conclude, may I respectfully suggest to Stewart, John Self & gil that should you wish for ANY of your views and opinions to actually be taken seriously by me or any other members of this forum, you would be well advised in future to ensure that you all take the time and trouble to actually first READ THE BOOK that you wish to pass comment upon!

........ Let the 'flack' begin!

The Book Keeper.

Last edited by The Book Keeper; 7th Jul 2007 at 14:18.
The Book Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2007, 14:55   #17
Alan
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 25 Apr 2006
Posts: 140
Default Re: Panama Oxridge: Justin Thyme

3 comments:
(a) protesting too much
(b) far too many emoticons and
(c) zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2007, 14:59   #18
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes
 
Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: 26 May 2005
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 6,884
Send a message via MSN to Stewart
Default Re: Panama Oxridge: Justin Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Book Keeper View Post
I have watched this thread develop for a couple of weeks and have read all of the posts upon it, including the very amusing but 'quite rightly deleted' post by Stewart which "exposed" that .... STOP PRESS, ... I "The Book Keeper" had now registered for this forum, ... and was critical of me for so doing!
I should mention to you that I deleted that post myself as, in hindsight, I felt it made no contribution to this forum. But I reserve my right to be highly suspicious of you, as I am of all people who talk about self-published fiction, purely for the reason that they only ever talk about one book. Why join a book forum to discuss one book? Fair enough to bring one to others' attention. But what about all the other books you've read. Surely you'd want to talk about them too? No? Oh!


Quote:
There you go Stewart, ... naming names again! ... why do you feel the need to do this all of the time? ...
Sadly you are not placed to realise that the mention of Christopher Priest was an in-joke between some of the members of this forum, due to a post that author made on John Self's blog after a review of John Wyndham's Chocky.

Quote:
You refered to the author of Justin Thyme as "a complete ae" in your post on this children & Young Adults Forum
Yes, I did. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion. And in this case, that Adshead would write and complain that people were speculating he was JK Rowling and wanted it clarified that he was not was the action of an arsehole. You either write with a pseudonym and lap up the speculation or you put your own name on it and be done with it. Methinks that he may just be a little bitter over Rowling's success.


Quote:
I also thought your "How does knowing the author's name spoil the book? post on the Book Group Online site particularly revealing of your spectacular lack of knowledge about this book!...So how come you feel qualified to pass comment and/or judgement upon it?
Does asking a pertinent question about a book now qualify as passing comment upon it? If so, we're all doomed.


Quote:
the primary reason that Panama Oxridge felt compelled to take this step was not simply to prevent further 'conjecture' about the possibility that he/she is J.K. Rowling, (though this WAS indeed a very responsible thing to do if this mistaken belief could have led to some people buying the book for this reason alone)
Er, now let's get back to reality here. There's nothing wrong with conjecture as to who wrote the book as that's what he's obviously after. So what if someone suggests it were written by JK Rowling. There's no evidence to back it up. And it's only, as you say, conjecture. There's no harm and if anyone buys the book for that reason alone then they are a numpty. Heaven forbid they buy a book because they want to read it.

Anyway, that's all from me. Based on your post you've obviously, to paraphrase Amis, gone gay for Adshead. I'll leave you to your love-in.
__________________
Reading: Concrete Island, J.G. Ballard| flickr | blog | world lit | beer
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2007, 15:18   #19
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision
 
John Self's Avatar
 
Join Date: 27 Jun 2003
Location: Belfast
Posts: 15,939
Default Re: Panama Oxridge: Justin Thyme

Book Keeper, I have no doubt all the pretty colours in your ridiculous self-serving (ie whether you are Paul Adshead the author and self-publisher or just 'Keith Broad' who paid £1,000 for a copy and wants to boost his ill-judged investment) post would look lovely on a Sony Bravia. Unfortunately they are still tiresome to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Book Keeper
may I respectfully suggest to Stewart, John Self & gil that should you wish for ANY of your views and opinions to actually be taken seriously by me or any other members of this forum
How fucking dare you presume to associate yourself with "other members of this forum"? Just to make clear that you don't belong here, you're banned.

And learn how to use apostrophes.
__________________
Reading Vasily Grossman, Life and Fate | Asylum | Book List
John Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2007, 15:21   #20
Hekaterine
Palimpsestarian
laughs in the face of fear
 
Hekaterine's Avatar
 
Join Date: 14 Jun 2006
Location: Afloat!
Posts: 966
Default Re: Panama Oxridge: Justin Thyme

Banned after one post! That's got to be some sort of record on here.
Hekaterine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.