Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Other Reviews

Old 15th Sep 2008, 22:31   #81
Quink
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Default Re: The Wire

No Jibe taken, JS; always, well almost always, joking. (The viewing figures gobsmacked me but then I don't know what shows are shown on FX.) Armando Ianucci, a few weeks ago, was calling for a revolution in British Television that would create a British version of HBO. Here, here !
Quink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2008, 22:50   #82
Adr.
Palimpsestarian
deserves a medal

Having just acquired the first season on DVD, I'm relatively new to the whole Wire phenomenon. I've watched the first 3 episodes and, so far, I'm impressed. This is a television show that's taking its time to establish the characters and the story. It's too early to tell whether it'll beat The Sopranos to be my all-time favourite television show. Early signs are good, though.
Old 15th Sep 2008, 22:53   #83
Stradlater
Palimpsestarian
is a Grand High Wizard of the Palimp

AHA Adr! Well, you have treats in store. I think series one is about to kick into gear. Enjoy!

The surprises coming thick and fast in series 5. Saying no more.
Stradlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2008, 23:07   #84
Quink
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Adr, are you watching it with the subtitles on ? Waaaaayyyyy back in this thread, there was a turning point for me when I discovered there were subtitles. It just made my admiration for the script all the greater. And I have to say in Series 4, the writing is just brilliant, my leaden description being the antithesis of every utterance in the eight shows I have watched so far in this particular series.
Old 15th Sep 2008, 23:20   #85
Adr.
Palimpsestarian
deserves a medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quink View Post
Adr, are you watching it with the subtitles on ?
Nope, I haven't succumbed to using the subtitles, though I must admit I'm tempted. Not least because I find it difficult to make out some of the dialect. I'm now intrigued and looking forward to all those surprises that are in store. For that reason I've avoided reading this thread.
Old 16th Sep 2008, 16:16   #86
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

David Simon just interviewed on R5Live (iPlayer-able tomorrow, I guess). Very engaging chap.
Old 18th Sep 2008, 11:30   #87
Stradlater
Palimpsestarian

Apparently his book "Homicide" very prominently displayed in airport bookshops right now . . . does this mean that "The Wire" has penetrated the mainstream?

Series 5 . . . . oh, damn! They are giving us SOME sweets, in the form of narrative rewards, but I have a horrible feeling that somebody is going to snatch the bag away before too long, and possibly stamp on it.
Old 18th Sep 2008, 11:43   #88
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Yes it's just been published by Canongate in the UK. Horrible fat large format paperback with a big quote from Martin Amis on the front: "A MASTERPIECE." This is the book, apparently, which comprised much of Amis's 'research' for Night Train, including that I am a police shtick.
Old 18th Sep 2008, 12:03   #89
Stradlater
Palimpsestarian

Hmm . . . it' s years since I read "Night Train" and I can't remember much about it except that it's narrated by a woman . . . is that right? Is it worth a re-read?

Maybe the David Simon is not bad source material. They do seem to say, in Baltimore, stuff like "I am a police" and "he is good police". Anyway, I have added "Homicide" to my list of potential holiday reads.
Old 18th Sep 2008, 13:45   #90
Quink
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Quote:
They do seem to say, in Baltimore, stuff like "I am a police" and "he is good police".
That very phrase was used in the episode I watched last night (Series 4, Ep 9) by Rawls on Daniels. Am very pleased to see the rise of Rawls because when the Fall comes, as it surely will, it will be such a splat. I know the scriptwriters won't disappoint me.

A small, if growing, quibble I have with the script is with Herc, the dumb police. And I mean dumb - "he is shit police"... This is the second series where critical leads and evidence have passed right under his nose. Perhaps due to the competence of the other police characters he does stand in contrast. But in such contrast ... ? And, I wanted to slap his fat, thick head for letting Bubs down with that pyscho.

I expect, with four episodes to go, I'll finish it this weekend. Two evenings of double headers. Then what do I do ? I'll have to wait until Series 5 comes out on DVD at full whack. Still, then I'll have the full set. Bring it on.