Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 30th Nov 2005, 6:56   #1
funes
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

Default Dickens Order

So, I'm looking over my piles and piles of books about the study and thinking "hmmm, most unread author is Charles".

So, for any Dickens fans, what order is he most appreciated? Is David Copperfield worth it? Can I read Bleak House first?

Is a chronological approach best?

Any suggestions? It is getting rather nasty out here in Usa; Dickens might be the ticket to see me till spring.
funes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2005, 10:47   #2
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Default Re: Dickens Order

My experience is that any order will do. Bleak House, though, may be the best, so you could leave that till last. David Copperfield is good. Don't skip that one.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2005, 10:55   #3
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Don't skip Great Expectations either. The Old Curiosity Shop and The Pickwick Papers I'd leave until you get hooked.
Old 30th Nov 2005, 13:42   #4
jim
Palimpsestarian
worries mother

I don't think it really matters although I suppose some are a bit jollier than others. For example I can't remember Little Dorrit having many laughs. I think A Tale Of Two Cities was the first one I read for pleasure (rather than being made to by school) and I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it although I remember nothing about it other than the famous opening lines.
jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2005, 16:51   #5
Stradlater
Palimpsestarian
is a Grand High Wizard of the Palimp

What a lovely prospect - all that Dickens to discover.

If I were you, I might start with Great Expectations - it's somehow managable both in tone and length, with great characterisation and story. From there you could move on to David Copperfield. Then what? Hard Times, perhaps? Bleak House? Happy reading.
Stradlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2005, 16:57   #6
Paul
Palimpsestarian
is a Palimpsester Extraordinaire

As mentioned above, don't skip David Copperfield, it's a long, wonderful read. My suggestions for starting out would be either Great Expectations or why not try A Christmas Carol, given the season?
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Nov 2005, 17:33   #7
Jerkass
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

I haven't read all of them, but I'd recommend Hard Times as a nice quick jaunt (as Dickens goes) for starters, understanding that it's enjoyable and properly Dickensian without quite hitting the heights of his powers, as I see them.

Even without reading all of the rest, I'm willing to bet that Bleak House is the best, so you might want to put that one off until last, or at least near the end. One of my great sadnesses in life (yes, I am fortunate) is that I've already read BH and will not have the pleasure of reading it for the first time again.

I'd be careful about giving BH as a gift to friends, though, as they tend to retaliate by forcing you to read The Alchemist.

Although I did enjoy it, I think I'd leave The Old Curiosity Shop until you're sure that you are a fan of Dickens; if you don't particularly like his style, you may not find it as enjoyable as some of the others.
Old 30th Nov 2005, 17:40   #8
funes
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

It seems that the later novels first, then the rest.

Hope I have the stamina for Dickens. I have read Oliver Twist, Great Expectations, Christmas Carol, all some time ago. When I read them, they were dissociated from the idea of a "Dickens novel", and more of a "19th cent English novel". So I'd like to get a feel for his scope.
funes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 12:10   #9
Digger
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Send a message via MSN to Digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by amner View Post
The Pickwick Papers I'd leave until you get hooked.
So having recently had a job in Cobham in Kent, and stayed in the pub where Dickens used to stay (a fact hugely, tackily and unecessarily emphasised by the owners) I thought I should perhaps read The Pickwick Papers, which is partially set there.

amner, is it just a matter of the style that makes you say the above? Is it not quite such a cracking tale? I suspect I shall read it anyway, but I always like the Palimp's collective opinions and thoughts on these things.

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Oct 2009, 12:17   #10
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Bear in mind it's 4 years since I wrote that sentence! But I guess what I was trying to get at was that it was pretty much his first, I think? may have to check that, but he's better when he gets into his stride. If you haven't tried David Copperfield yet, I'd go for that instead.

That said, how fascinating a job...do we get pics?