Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > Politics & Society

Old 10th Oct 2009, 12:04   #551
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Send a message via MSN to Stewart
Default Re: This is the News

OKay, it's old news, but I thought it was hilarious. Around this time of the year, Nobel season, there's a parody of the Nobel prizes called the Ig Nobel Prizes, which reward the trivial and dumb breakthroughs in the noted categories. This year the Ig Nobel Prize in Literature went to the Irish police force for this story about a consistent speed demon from Poland.
Old 5th Dec 2009, 0:11   #552
BiNS
Palimpsestarian
is a Grand High Wizard of the Palimp

This is news, and as an added bonus (for my Mum anyway), it has a picture of me attached to it! Wish I'd known they were going to use it, I'd have held my belly in.
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 22:58   #553
paddyjoe
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

The annual list of popular baby names in Scotland was published yesterday. In amongst the Jacks, Sophies and Mileys the full list contains some real oddities. Just goes to show that some people shouldn't be allowed to be parents.

I feel sorry for those poor kids handicapped with Aadam, AJ, CJ, , TJ, TJay and T-Jay. Pity poor Bo, Heavenleigh, Chardonnay, T and the 4 little boys lumbered with Woody. There are 138 Summers but only 8 Autumns, and even one little Paddyjoe born this year.
12 11
paddyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 23:55   #554
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

There's a TJ at our local school and a Jaycee too. I don't think there are any other oddities but a variety of spellings - eg. Ruben for Reuben.
Old 24th Dec 2009, 9:22   #555
Ang
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

My son has a common name with an alternative spelling (not a bizarre one - it's out there, used by respectable people, just not very common). The school newsletter consistently gets it wrong. This is not that surprising except for the article that I wrote for them, the first where he was ever included - they used my article word for word (copy and paste presumably) but changed my spelling!
Old 24th Dec 2009, 9:36   #556
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

I bet that was an Autocorrect problem. Autocorrect is one of my pet hates. It doesn't even work if you accidentally type 'asses' instead of 'assess'.

Apparently one of my colleagues once got a memo that had obviously been typed with Autocorrect on. The author had allowed his own name to be autocorrected to J. Anxiously.
ono no komachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2009, 10:05   #557
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

The figures for Northern Ireland were also released this week.

Quote:
Once again, popular culture possibly provides the inspiration for many names.

Lexie (a character in television drama Grey's Anatomy) moves into the top 100, as does Miley (either Hannah Montana star Miley Cyrus or the popular figure from 1980s Irish farming soap Glenroe).

The trend of parents picking an increasingly diverse range of names remained constant in the past year.

While last year saw a number of babies being named Ronaldo and Cristiano, the Portuguese footballer's move from Manchester United seems to have stopped this trend, although young Trafford's soccer allegiances seem set in stone.

Football could also be the inspiration for Cesc, Carlos and Fernando, although it is possible these boys just have Spanish parents.

Some left-leaning parents named their boys Che, Castro and Yasser - while at the other side of the political spectrum is the blond-haired and blue-eyed Aryan.

Perhaps the parents of Memphis have musical ambitions - if so, he could form a supergroup with Axl, Beck and Shuggie.

The inspiration behind some names is more obscure: are C-jay's parents fans of the BBC quiz Eggheads?

And if Bo and Alick have trouble in the school playground, perhaps they can call on Maverick, Neo, Nimrod, Orion or Phoenix to sort it out.

Girls' names demonstrate more flexibility than boys' in their spelling: for example, Carly, Karlee, Karley, Karleah, Karli, Karlie, Karly and Karalee.
Some of the names are almost poetic, such as Autumn-secret, Aya-sky, Isa-lily and Cherish-hope.

As well as Miley, there are a few Rhiannas in Northern Ireland and at least one Maggie May.

Maybe 30 years from now, some of these names will be making the top 10 and Jack and Katie's X Factor-style domination of the chart will be long gone.
As paddyjoe says, this proves that some people shouldn't be allowed to be parents - or not allowed to choose their child's name, anyway. Those who named their daughters Rhianna, for example, either misspelled the singer's name (who is called Rihanna) or don't care that the original Celtic girl's name is Rhiannon.

But then I once had a client whose son was called Jesse James - no, wait, she corrected me, Jessie James - and didn't appear to understand the multi-layered humour contained in this.

Others don't seem to bother with what I think of as pretty clear rules, such as Lesley is the girls' spelling and Leslie is the boys'.

What a grumpy old man I am.
Old 24th Dec 2009, 10:14   #558
Ang
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Trying to find the equivalent for England, and it seems that not only do we wait for the year to end down here, we give it 9 months to make sure the statistics are correct:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/se...-popular-chart
Old 24th Dec 2009, 10:29   #559
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Send a message via MSN to Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyjoe View Post
Pity poor Bo
It's a common enough Scandinavian name. I met a few by that name in Denmark. So it's probably Scandinavian parents.

Two boys called 'P', another called 'Precious', and the bizarre 'Tcharlie', made me laugh. Those naming these kids sometimes seem to be under the illusion that names aren't shorthand versions of other names, hence we are getting kids called Rab, Maggie, and Betty. One must feel sorry for the girl going under the unfortunate name 'Reamass'.

Some of the spelling is atrocious: Stephannie, Rabeka, ...
Old 24th Dec 2009, 10:56   #560
paddyjoe
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

JunkMonkey, wasn't your little ThunderCat X. JunkMonkey born this year? Didn't see his/her name on the list!
12 11
paddyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote