Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Palimpsest Forums > All About Palimpsest

Old 6th Dec 2005, 0:14   #1
hermione_jane_granger
Junior Palimpsestarian
is new to Palimpsest

Default Suggestions

I wasn't sure whre to post this, as i couldn't find a suggestions thread. perhaps you should make one? anyway..

I was looking at the book club and noticed that most of the b ooks on there i've never head of! seing as i'm only 14. perhaps you could create a sub board/another board for a teenage/young adult book club? i don't know how many other people my age are on this forum, but i am sure there are some.

"there's no need to call me sir, professor"-harry potter
"edmond dantes is part of us all"
"i am edmond dantes!"- the count of monte cristo
"brain the size of a planet and i'm bringing to prisoners to the dock"-hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy
hermione_jane_granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2005, 1:55   #2
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Send a message via MSN to Stewart
Default Re: Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermione_jane_granger
i don't know how many other people my age are on this forum, but i am sure there are some.
While not holding any authority, I would guess, to be honest, that there are none your age here. Also, I should think that the reason there is one forum specifically for book reviews is because we tend to view all books as equals until we are either aquainted with the authors' work, or appalled by it. If there are authors lacking in the Book Reviews forum then I'm sure we'd say, by all means, post your reviews.
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2005, 8:55   #3
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

I believe Blixa to be correct. Jennifer is approx. 18/19, judging from her posts regarding A levels; and we have had members Artemis and Mipsy and Diamond Dust who posted about Malorie Blackman's books, Hitchhiker's Guide and Artemis Fowl amongst a few others. We have a Philip Pullman thread and threads for each of the recent Harry Potter books, and a Shadowmancer thread (should anyone be interested), and various threads on the value of childrens/young adult literature and our favourite children's/YA books.

A decision was made some time ago (I hunted for the thread but couldn't find it) that Palimpsest would not run a young people's version or sub-threads as there were so few participants and it was felt that it would detract from the original aims of the board. I was one of those principally concerned, as I had seen the demise of the Cool Reads site and have a couple of teenage children myself who wanted a site similar to Palimp to discuss their books/films etc. I was in agreement with the decision though.

However, as Blixa says, there is plenty of opportunity to contribute on all threads, and review YA books (as I do!) in the Book Review section; regarding the Book Club, you will find that the books vary and that at least some of them (if not all) you would probably enjoy: not all of us read all of them either, you know!
Old 6th Dec 2005, 9:20   #4
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Yes, here's the earlier discussion. You seem to be efficient enough at running websites, hermione, why not set up a teen-reads discussion group of your own?
Old 6th Dec 2005, 9:24   #5
Digger
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Send a message via MSN to Digger

Heavens above, how my mind would expand if I had read all the books mentioned here!

H-J-G, look on the book group, and almost everything else here, as a shopping list!

I think in some thread, possibly that discussing our favourite children's/YA books, we sort of decided that the best of these could be enjoyed by all ages, and I think that this applies to 'adult' books too. You broaden your mind by reading things you might never have found if you'd only stayed in a particular section of the bookshop/library. I certainly did and although I put down a lot of books having not understood them or all their nuances when I was 14, some of them opened up new worlds to me that I have never forgotten. Returning to them now I find different things, but still see different facets that I found as reading them as a teenager.

And the good thing about Palimpland, is most things are discussed and described so you get a preview of what you might like before taking the plunge.

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2005, 9:25   #6
Digger
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Send a message via MSN to Digger

Heavens above again! I've just become a Grand High Wizard!!

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2005, 10:06   #7
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid

Yes, I agree with Col and JS entirely. Blixa has a point too. At the end of the day, young adults talking about books aimed at young adults are still book reviews, or indeed general chat, so there is no reason why it can't be done there.

In terms of not recognising many of the books in the Book Group, well, I guess that's the point of it, really. I wouldn't have thought, though, that the HG Wells would cause a teenage reader too many problems, for example. The best thing to do, Hermione, would be to get stuck in and suggest some books for the next round.

Also, I am not sure if you got my email, but could you get in touch wither by PM or email about your user name? I can change it for you because it is so long it distorts the board layout a bit. Ta!
Old 6th Dec 2005, 10:22   #8
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Just doing a quick review of our Reviews, I found the following, which seems a pretty good list so far (I haven't included the ones I mentioned above):

The Curious Incident... Mark Haddon
The Fire Eaters - David Almond
Howl's Moving Castle/ Conrad's Fate/Fire & Hemlock - Diana Wynne Jones
this is all - Aidan Chambers
Midnight for Charlie Bone - jenny Nimmo
The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole
The Princess Bride - William wotsit
A thread on Stephen King, if you're interested
Rudyard Kipling’s Just So stories
Lord of the Flies
Lemony Snicket
a thread on David Copperfield (for once you've finished it )
Useful Idiots - Jan Mark
The Earthsea cycle et al - Ursula le Guin
The Water Babies - Charles Kingsley
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke
Arthur Ransome
Black Ships Before Troy etc - Rosemary Sutcliffe
Fai/ery stories - including Holly Black's Tithe, Artemis Fowl and Herbie Brennan's Faerie Wars
Fat Boy Swim - Catherine Forde
Loser - Jerry Spinelli
Martyn Pig - Kevin Brooks
How I Live Now - Meg Rosoff
Roverandom – Tolkein
Jesse Jameson books and others by Sean Wright
Noughts & Crosses; Knife Edge; Checkmate etc – Malorie Blackman
H2G2 – Douglas Adams
Artemis Fowl – Eoin Colfer
His Dark Materials and Sally Lockhart books – Philip Pullman
Harry Potter books – JK Rowling
Shadowmancer et al. – GP Taylor
Kensuke’s Kingdom – Michael Morpurgo
The Mortal Engines series – Philip Reeve
A Gathering Light - Jennifer Donnelly

Also, threads on teenage staples - Jane Austen, the Brontes, Thomas Hardy, John Steinbeck, Orwell and 1984, Ray Bradbury, Brave New World, Robinson Crusoe & Bleak House, and more.

Last edited by Colyngbourne; 30th Mar 2006 at 12:55.
Colyngbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2005, 10:24   #9
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid

Oh, and

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermione_jane_granger
I wasn't sure whre to post this, as i couldn't find a suggestions thread. perhaps you should make one?
Looks like you just have!

If anyone else has any suggestions they would like ignored, post them here!
Old 6th Dec 2005, 14:12   #10
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

I am getting dangerously tempted by this now, having read the previous thread linked to by JS.

I could easily install a simple phpBB setup in site.palimpsest.org.uk where "site" is some trendy word that the kidz would love. That way the Palimp proper would remain all grown up and boring and otherwise unaffected.

The set up would take roughly 5 minutes. I'd need some young reader lieutenants to help out on the admin and promotion side though.

Someone talk me out of this, quick.