Old 9th Jun 2010, 13:26   #31
Beth
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Default Re: Top 10 Misused Words

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarie View Post
brings out the inner pedant.
Oh yes, I have one of those! Last year I had to inform my boss of the problem with new 'employee's only' door etchings. And while on vacation recently, things with one of my online suitors turned ugly when we tried to move from the sizzling chat format to email and he was unable to keep it up. I delicately asked if he was struggling with the language and he became very angry. His parting words to me, "I Hate English!!! it kepted me from being a Vet!" make me blush (and chuckle). The inner pedant will try to stretch that short leash, yes. But do we have to let it run wild?

I think when society at any level digs its heel into the dirt and says "This is how it's going to be," that group is immediately on its merry way to irrelevance, a fate much worse than misuse. QES is out the door and halfway down the road! I think this group is motivated by fear, not purely concern about the standards of usage. Their site map, with its 'Rogues' Gallery' and 'Comedy of Errors' would be comical if they weren't so po-faced.

From the 'Comedy of Errors' section

Quote:
This is where QES is in its element. It is not QES's job to invent English words; those that exist are in the Dictionary. It is not up to QES to formulate grammatical rules; they have evolved over many centuries. But when these two aspects are abused, QES exists to draw attention to such errors in an effort to keep popular usage in line with established usage.
Puh-leez. I think this is where fear is in its element.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote