Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Palimpsest Forums > Features

Old 26th Jul 2011, 17:04   #1
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Default Annoying Americanisms? A rebuttal

No lesser an institution than the BBC recently published a list of 50 Americanisms that annoy some (clearly very easily annoyed) British people.

Me, I found the article itself highly annoying, to the extent that I had to get some of my objections off my chest. Please see below...

1. When people ask for something, I often hear: "Can I get a..." It infuriates me. It's not New York. It's not the 90s. You're not in Central Perk with the rest of the Friends. Really." Steve, Rossendale, Lancashire

Really, Steve? It's just a simple substitution of the word 'get' for the word 'have'. It's a perfectly meaningful substitution and if your only objection to it is that people shouldn’t use a new phrase in place of something they used to say, then we'd all still be speaking Anglo-Saxon.

2. The next time someone tells you something is the "least worst option", tell them that their most best option is learning grammar. Mike Ayres, Bodmin, Cornwall

I like this example. I think the reason 'least worst' has come into regular use is down to the satisfying repeated sibilance in the '-st -st' endings of the words. 'The least bad option' just doesn't sound as pleasing.

3. The phrase I've watched seep into the language (especially with broadcasters) is "two-time" and "three-time". Have the words double, triple etc, been totally lost? Grammatically it makes no sense, and is even worse when spoken. My pulse rises every time I hear or see it. Which is not healthy as it's almost every day now. Argh! D Rochelle, Bath

The only time I can recall hearing similar phrases is when people have won something more than once, e.g. 'Roger Federer, six-time Wimbledon champion'. What would D prefer? 'Roger Federer, sextuple Wimbledon champion'?

4. Using 24/7 rather than "24 hours, 7 days a week" or even just plain "all day, every day". Simon Ball, Worcester

But neither of Simon's alternatives is as economical as '24/7' - whose meaning is immediately clear to anyone who hears it.

5. The one I can't stand is "deplane", meaning to disembark an aircraft, used in the phrase "you will be able to deplane momentarily". TykeIntheHague, Den Haag, Holland

Hard to defend this one, as I do think it's an ugly word. However, yet again, it has the benefit of clarity of meaning. The 'momentarily' issue is simply a matter of different usage in different cultures - Fowler says that this usage dates from the 1920s in US English.

6. To "wait on" instead of "wait for" when you're not a waiter - once read a friend's comment about being in a station waiting on a train. For him, the train had yet to arrive - I would have thought rather that it had got stuck at the station with the friend on board. T Balinski, Raglan, New Zealand

Looks like a matter of personal preference to me. I agree that where one person is accustomed to one usage and his friend, another, this could cause confusion, but usually context would leave little room for ambiguity.

7. "It is what it is". Pity us. Michael Knapp, Chicago, US

Well, it clearly isn't what it isn't, so this looks like a truism to me!

8. Dare I even mention the fanny pack? Lisa, Red Deer, Canada

I don't really believe that this one has made it across the pond, due to the very specific meaning of the word 'fanny' in UK English...

9. "Touch base" - it makes me cringe no end. Chris, UK

Any opportunity for innuendo should be welcomed, Chris! Though obviously it's a baseball metaphor.

10. Is "physicality" a real word? Curtis, US

Yes, Curtis, according to the Shorter OED it has been so since the late 16th century.

11. Transportation. What's wrong with transport? Greg Porter, Hercules, CA, US

Nothing at all, Greg, which is not to say we should expunge the other word from the language. I would tend to use the two words slightly differently, transportation for the act of being transported, and transport for the means by which something is transported.

12. The word I hate to hear is "leverage". Pronounced lev-er-ig rather than lee-ver -ig. It seems to pop up in all aspects of work. And its meaning seems to have changed to "value added". Gareth Wilkins, Leicester

Oh Gareth, Gareth. Object to this not on the grounds that it is an Americanism, but that it is an ugly piece of business jargon.

13. Does nobody celebrate a birthday anymore, must we all "turn" 12 or 21 or 40? Even the Duke of Edinburgh was universally described as "turning" 90 last month. When did this begin? I quite like the phrase in itself, but it seems to have obliterated all other ways of speaking about birthdays. Michael McAndrew, Swindon

I think I stopped 'celebrating' my birthdays after my 21st. Again, I think to claim it has obliterated all other expressions relating to birthdays is a slight exaggeration. Michael probably didn't notice all the people saying 'the Duke of Edinburgh has his 90th birthday this week' because he was being particularly sensitive to the other phrasing and listening out for it.

14. I caught myself saying "shopping cart" instead of shopping trolley today and was thoroughly disgusted with myself. I've never lived nor been to the US either. Graham Nicholson, Glasgow

Graham, kicking a puppy or eating an entire Sara Lee chocolate gateau might be a reason to be thoroughly disgusted with yourself, but you should go a little easier on yourself for using a perfectly acceptable phrase. Besides, going to 'hell in a handcart' sounds like much more fun than 'hell in a shopping trolley'.

15. What kind of word is "gotten"? It makes me shudder. Julie Marrs, Warrington

It's an old past participle of 'get', Julie, which has fallen out of use in the UK (though can still be found in the term 'ill-gotten gains'). There's really no need to shudder at its use.

16. "I'm good" for "I'm well". That'll do for a start. Mike, Bridgend, Wales

But Mike, in the phrase 'I'm well', 'well' is simply an adjective meaning the opposite of 'ill'. We frequently substitute 'fine', so why not 'good' as *well*? (see what I did there?)

17. "Bangs" for a fringe of the hair. Philip Hall, Nottingham

Again, just another difference in terminology between the US and the UK. In my many many trips to the hairdresser's, I've never in my life heard them actually use the word 'Bangs', unless talking about loud noises or Ricky Martin.

18. Take-out rather than takeaway! Simon Ball, Worcester

What about carry-out, as enjoyed by our scottish cousins, Simon? Does that cause you equal apoplexy?

19. I enjoy Americanisms. I suspect even some Americans use them in a tongue-in-cheek manner? "That statement was the height of ridiculosity". Bob, Edinburgh

I enjoy them too, Bob, I really do. But I have never heard anyone use the word 'ridiculosity'.

20. "A half hour" instead of "half an hour". EJB, Devon

I think you'll find 'half-hour' should be hyphenated, EJB. Have you never taken off a 'half-day' from your work?

21. A "heads up". For example, as in a business meeting. Lets do a "heads up" on this issue. I have never been sure of the meaning. R Haworth, Marlborough

R Haworth, I think you may have come across an unusual (not to say wrong) usage of this phrase, it's usually used in someone giving someone else a 'heads-up', meaning alerting them to some useful information. It seems to be yet another sporting term, where an attitude with heads up is required before the players burst into action.

22. Train station. My teeth are on edge every time I hear it. Who started it? Have they been punished? Chris Capewell, Queens Park, London

What the blazes is wrong with 'train station'? Chris, do you catch the bus from the 'road station'?

23. To put a list into alphabetical order is to "alphabetize it" - horrid! Chris Fackrell, York

I'm not sure that anyone with the same 'Fackrell' is in a position to complain that a word sounds horrid, but yet again, the meaning of 'alphabetize' is one that cannot be mistaken, so it least has the advantage of usefulness.

24. People that say "my bad" after a mistake. I don't know how anything could be as annoying or lazy as that. Simon Williamson, Lymington, Hampshire

Simon, you genuinely cannot think of anything more lazy and annoying than 'my bad'? Your lack of imagination astounds me. Besides, I think this is a yoof thing, rather than an American thing, no?

25. "Normalcy" instead of "normality" really irritates me. Tom Gabbutt, Huddersfield

Well, Fowler raises no objection to their interchangeability, Tom, so unless you claim greater authority on the subject, I suggest you attempt to swallow your irritation.

26. As an expat living in New Orleans, it is a very long list but "burglarize" is currently the word that I most dislike. Simon, New Orleans

I have no argument for this one, since a perfectly good verb 'to burgle' already exists. All I can think of is that the illustrious brass players of New Orleans kept getting it mixed up with 'to bugle' and wanted a new word to avoid confusion.

27. "Oftentimes" just makes me shiver with annoyance. Fortunately I've not noticed it over here yet. John, London

John, I shiver with apprehension at how easily annoyed you must be. To me, 'oftentimes' simply sounds a bit old-fashioned, and in its way, rather sweet.

28. Eaterie. To use a prevalent phrase, oh my gaad! Alastair, Maidstone (now in Athens, Ohio)

I suspect this may be a bit of frenchification. Cf. Boulangerie, Patisserie. And you can't beat a bit of french. *snigger*

29. I'm a Brit living in New York. The one that always gets me is the American need to use the word bi-weekly when fortnightly would suffice just fine. Ami Grewal, New York

I think that 'fortnight' is a much more specifically British word than you realise, Ami. And why would Americans use the word 'fortnightly' when they don't use the word 'fortnight'? Do you also object if they tell you they're going on 'a two-week vacation'? I see that you are happy to use the phrase 'just fine' instead of 'perfectly well'.

30. I hate "alternate" for "alternative". I don't like this as they are two distinct words, both have distinct meanings and it's useful to have both. Using alternate for alternative deprives us of a word. Catherine, London

You're right, Catherine, it is useful to have both. However, I really do think the predominant UK usage for the adjective is 'alternative', whilst US speakers favour 'alternate'. Is it so very hard to be sensitive to the background of the person speaking to you, Catherine?

31. "Hike" a price. Does that mean people who do that are hikers? No, hikers are ramblers! M Holloway, Accrington

Hikers are indeed ramblers, M. But let me introduce you to a new concept, i.e. that words may have more than one meaning. My Shorter OED has the second meaning of 'hike' as a transitive verb meaning 'shove, hoist, pull (also followed by up).' Who'd have thought it?

32. Going forward? If I do I shall collide with my keyboard. Ric Allen, Matlock

Goodness, Ric, do you never use metaphorical expressions in your everyday life? If someone tells you to 'pull your socks up', do you bend down and adjust your clothing? In the grand panoply of buzzwords (of which I think this is an example, rather than the Americanism you accuse it of being) this is surely less objectionable than 'blue-sky thinking' or 'picking the low-hanging fruit'.

33. I hate the word "deliverable". Used by management consultants for something that they will "deliver" instead of a report. Joseph Wall, Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire

Joseph, I refer you to your own phrase 'used by management consultants' for an explanation of your dislike of this word. Besides, a deliverable is simply something which is to be delivered. It could take many forms, which is why it is handy to have a word to cover all possibilities.

34. The most annoying Americanism is "a million and a half" when it is clearly one and a half million! A million and a half is 1,000,000.5 where one and a half million is 1,500,000. Gordon Brown, Coventry

Dear me, Mr Brown, where was your keen grasp of figures when you were selling off the UK's gold reserves? Seriously, though, if someone were speaking to you of 'a million and a half acres of rainforest', your brain would interpret this as 1,000,000.5 acres? I have no argument against such wilful pedantry.

35. "Reach out to" when the correct word is "ask". For example: "I will reach out to Kevin and let you know if that timing is convenient". Reach out? Is Kevin stuck in quicksand? Is he teetering on the edge of a cliff? Can't we just ask him? Nerina, London

Number one, Nerina, I have never heard anyone say this. Number two, if I did, I would assume that the person speaking did not have easy and instant access to Kevin, therefore rendering the phrase more as 'I will try and get hold of Kevin'. I suspect this phrase has developed as a direct result of the slippery nature of most middle managers.

36. Surely the most irritating is: "You do the Math." Math? It's MATHS. Michael Zealey, London

Well if we're being that arsey about it, Michael, the word is MATHEMATICS - which in the UK we abbreviate to 'maths' and in the US they abbreviate to 'math'. Simples.

37. I hate the fact I now have to order a "regular Americano". What ever happened to a medium sized coffee? Marcus Edwards, Hurst Green

I have been to lots of coffee shops (coffee shops? Horrors! Surely they should be cafés? Or perhaps we should still be using the 1650s terminology, when we called them coffee houses?) where there are two sizes, regular and large. This usefully describes the case where if you order a 'regular' coffee, you will get a 'normal' sized drink, rather than an oversized bucket. 'Medium' is generally the middle of 3 options, so would force the coffee shop to offer more options, increasing their overheads and making that frappacino even more overpriced than it was before.

38. My worst horror is expiration, as in "expiration date". Whatever happened to expiry? Christina Vakomies, London

Goodness, Christina. My worst horror is the idea of being buried alive, but whatever pushes your buttons. I happen to prefer 'expiry' myself, but I'm not going to dissolve into fits of incandescent rage if someone uses 'expiration' as an alternative.

39. My favourite one was where Americans claimed their family were "Scotch-Irish". This of course it totally inaccurate, as even if it were possible, it would be "Scots" not "Scotch", which as I pointed out is a drink. James, Somerset

Gosh, James, what a delightful social occasion that must have been! Did you discount the possibility that perhaps their family were Irish but enjoyed a tipple of aqua vitae from across the water? Perhaps they were under the misapprehension that you were a normal human being who would take the phrase to mean that they had some Scottish ancestry and some Irish. Well you showed them, huh?

40. I am increasingly hearing the phrase "that'll learn you" - when the English (and more correct) version was always "that'll teach you". What a ridiculous phrase! Tabitha, London

Well, yes, Tabitha, this is straightforward misuse, but I do not see that it has any more prevalence in US usage than in UK usage. Perhaps your acquaintances have discovered that this annoys you and are doing it deliberately? Just a thought.

41. I really hate the phrase: "Where's it at?" This is not more efficient or informative than "where is it?" It just sounds grotesque and is immensely irritating. Adam, London

Steer clear of Wales, Adam. People there say 'Where's it by?' and 'It's over by there.' If 'Where's it at?' infuriates you, I suspect the Welsh tendency will lead you to have a coronary.

42. Period instead of full stop. Stuart Oliver, Sunderland

Yet again, just a difference in preferred terminology. I think the full stop will be with us for a little while yet.

43. My pet hate is "winningest", used in the context "Michael Schumacher is the winningest driver of all time". I can feel the rage rising even using it here. Gayle, Nottingham

Indeed, Gayle, 'winningest' should, strictly speaking, be reserved for sentences such as 'All of the ladies had winning smiles, but Gayle possessed the winningest'. The correct term for the example you give should be 'cheatingest'.

44. My brother now uses the term "season" for a TV series. Hideous. D Henderson, Edinburgh

If the word 'season' supplanting the word 'series' is the price we have to pay for getting programmes like The West Wing, Six Feet Under and The Wire on our screens, D, I happen to think it's a price worth paying.

45. Having an "issue" instead of a "problem". John, Leicester

I think this is a symptom of a modern desire to use non-negative language, not an Americanism. Hence anyone now might refer to 'a person with mental health issues' rather than condemning someone as a raving lunatic.

46. I hear more and more people pronouncing the letter Z as "zee". Not happy about it! Ross, London

You're perfectly entitled to your unhappiness, Ross, but you have to concede that 'zee' sounds better at the end of The Alphabet Song.

47. To "medal" instead of to win a medal. Sets my teeth on edge with a vengeance. Helen, Martock, Somerset

I agree that this is unpleasant, Helen. I think one problem is that it sounds just like the word 'meddle', as in the following sentence: 'She meddled several times at the Beijing Olympics.' But it makes the Scooby Doo gang sound like high sporting achievers: 'I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you medalling kids!'

48. "I got it for free" is a pet hate. You got it "free" not "for free". You don't get something cheap and say you got it "for cheap" do you? Mark Jones, Plymouth

OK Mark, you can hold this up as an example of sloppy usage if you like. It seems likely to me that it's a slightly ungrammatical substitution of 'free' for 'nothing' in the similar phrase, 'I got it for nothing'.

49. "Turn that off already". Oh dear. Darren, Munich

I think I would be persona non grata with Darren, because I quite like this. It has a clear implication that however soon you do the thing you're being instructed to do, it's not going to be soon enough, because for the person speaking to be happy, you would have to have done it already. It's an elegantly economical way of making this implication. Darren, stop being so picky already!

50. "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less" has to be the worst. Opposite meaning of what they're trying to say. Jonathan, Birmingham

Now this is quite interesting (and I use the word 'interesting' here in its loosest sense). It seems that the American usage is a sarcastic shorthand for saying 'As if there might be anything about which I could care less'. So it's really being used in a different way from its UK cousin. Evidently Jonathan could *not* care less about investigating this in any way.

Last edited by ono no komachi; 26th Jul 2011 at 18:25.
ono no komachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2011, 19:20   #2
gil
Senior Palimpsester

Default Re: Annoying Americanisms? A rebuttal

I agree with you. I've added my take (oops, Americanism) on some of these.

6. To "wait on" instead of "wait for" when you're not a waiter - once read a friend's comment about being in a station waiting on a train. For him, the train had yet to arrive - I would have thought rather that it had got stuck at the station with the friend on board. T Balinski, Raglan, New Zealand

Looks like a matter of personal preference to me. I agree that where one person is accustomed to one usage and his friend, another, this could cause confusion, but usually context would leave little room for ambiguity.

Also a common use in Scotland.

Any opportunity for innuendo should be welcomed, Chris! Though obviously it's a baseball metaphor.

It's an excellent phrase, I use it a lot.

12. The word I hate to hear is "leverage". Pronounced lev-er-ig rather than lee-ver -ig. It seems to pop up in all aspects of work. And its meaning seems to have changed to "value added". Gareth Wilkins, Leicester

Oh Gareth, Gareth. Object to this not on the grounds that it is an Americanism, but that it is an ugly piece of business jargon.

Yes, Gareth, the word does NOT mean value added, it means " investing with borrowed money as a way to amplify potential gains"

It's an old past participle of 'get', Julie, which has fallen out of use in the UK (though can still be found in the term 'ill-gotten gains'). There's really no need to shudder at its use.

We still use it in the word "forgotten".

24. People that say "my bad" after a mistake. I don't know how anything could be as annoying or lazy as that. Simon Williamson, Lymington, Hampshire

Simon, you genuinely cannot think of anything more lazy and annoying than 'my bad'? Your lack of imagination astounds me. Besides, I think this is a yoof thing, rather than an American thing, no?

He'd rather have "mea culpa"

39. My favourite one was where Americans claimed their family were "Scotch-Irish". This of course it totally inaccurate, as even if it were possible, it would be "Scots" not "Scotch", which as I pointed out is a drink. James, Somerset

Gosh, James, what a delightful social occasion that must have been! Did you discount the possibility that perhaps their family were Irish but enjoyed a tipple of aqua vitae from across the water? Perhaps they were under the misapprehension that you were a normal human being who would take the phrase to mean that they had some Scottish ancestry and some Irish. Well you showed them, huh?

As a Scot, I DO become (irrationally) irritated by the use of Scotch rather than Scots or Scottish. But then we Scots have a short fuse.

46. I hear more and more people pronouncing the letter Z as "zee". Not happy about it! Ross, London

You're perfectly entitled to your unhappiness, Ross, but you have to concede that 'zee' sounds better at the end of The Alphabet Song.

And our postcode happens to end with 2EZ, and I am delighted to use the ZEE pronunciation.

gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2011, 20:47   #3
amarie
has never loathed cock, and
is a Palimpsester Extraordinaire

Number 6 - to 'wait on'. A lot of my family (the northern lot) use that, so I tend to as well. 'I'm waiting on the dentist to call me back', for example.

Number 24 - 'my bad'. I must say that I really don't like that, but that's a personal thing, and I didn't think it was an Americanism, just annoying!

Gil - I love your postcode!
Old 26th Jul 2011, 23:26   #4
Chookie
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

Herewith my tow cents (oops another Americanism, bad me):-
Quote:
Originally Posted by ono no komachi View Post

Common usage in Scotland. I don't think I've ever "waited for"...

14. I caught myself saying "shopping cart" instead of shopping trolley today and was thoroughly disgusted with myself. I've never lived nor been to the US either. Graham Nicholson, Glasgow

Graham, kicking a puppy or eating an entire Sara Lee chocolate gateau might be a reason to be thoroughly disgusted with yourself, but you should go a little easier on yourself for using a perfectly acceptable phrase. Besides, going to 'hell in a handcart' sounds like much more fun than 'hell in a shopping trolley'.

I'm tempted to advise (advize?) Graham to use a basket...

18. Take-out rather than takeaway! Simon Ball, Worcester

What about carry-out, as enjoyed by our scottish cousins, Simon? Does that cause you equal apoplexy?

I frequently enjoy a carry-out, but less frequently the rather specialised "Judas"

James be an idiot. the Scots-Irish (or Scotch-Irish) were a specific group who had a massive input into the existence of the United States. And yes, we can be slightly ticked by misuse of the word "Scotch".

40. I am increasingly hearing the phrase "that'll learn you" - when the English (and more correct) version was always "that'll teach you". What a ridiculous phrase! Tabitha, London

Well, yes, Tabitha, this is straightforward misuse, but I do not see that it has any more prevalence in US usage than in UK usage. Perhaps your acquaintances have discovered that this annoys you and are doing it deliberately? Just a thought.

Well, no, it isn't. "That'll learn you" is the norm in Scotland.
Chookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2011, 1:40   #5
bill
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Well, this has been hugely interesting to me, and I'm very..."flattered" seems wrong, but happy, anyway, to see so many of you defending my homeland's specific "language dealies", as I like to call them. I feel like I have a lot to say, and shouldn't try to say it all (for space reasons only), but here are at least most of my thoughts, in the style popularized by gil:

2. The next time someone tells you something is the "least worst option", tell them that their most best option is learning grammar. Mike Ayres, Bodmin, Cornwall

I like this example. I think the reason 'least worst' has come into regular use is down to the satisfying repeated sibilance in the '-st -st' endings of the words. 'The least bad option' just doesn't sound as pleasing.

I have to say, I've never heard "least worst" used by anybody in America. If I had, I wouldn't like it any more than Mike does, to be honest. "Least bad" means something, whereas "least worst" doesn't, as far as I can tell.

3. The phrase I've watched seep into the language (especially with broadcasters) is "two-time" and "three-time". Have the words double, triple etc, been totally lost? Grammatically it makes no sense, and is even worse when spoken. My pulse rises every time I hear or see it. Which is not healthy as it's almost every day now. Argh! D Rochelle, Bath

The only time I can recall hearing similar phrases is when people have won something more than once, e.g. 'Roger Federer, six-time Wimbledon champion'. What would D prefer? 'Roger Federer, sextuple Wimbledon champion'?

Also, when a spouse or significant other has been cheated on, they've been "two-timed." Outside of that, your sports example is the only time I've heard it, and it makes sense to me.

Again, seems fine to me. I see T. Balinski's point, but I also can't understand why they should care.

7. "It is what it is". Pity us. Michael Knapp, Chicago, US

Well, it clearly isn't what it isn't, so this looks like a truism to me!

My wife doesn't like this phrase, but I think it's very useful. It cuts through a lot of unnecessary fat.

8. Dare I even mention the fanny pack? Lisa, Red Deer, Canada

I don't really believe that this one has made it across the pond, due to the very specific meaning of the word 'fanny' in UK English...

Yes. This is just a thing Lisa wishes Americans wouldn't say to each other, for some reason.

Again, yes. It's an American sports phrase associated with a specifically American sport, so why shouldn't Americans use it? And anybody else who'd like to, for that matter!

I'll use this example to express my bemusement regarding lots of these. Why should this really bother anybody so much? Although, then again...see below for further thoughts on this general idea (if you care to, anyway)...

For years, when I used "gotten", which I often do, I thought it was wrong, that it must not actually be a word. It does sound clumsy. But it is a word, I eventually discovered, and a useful one. 

16. "I'm good" for "I'm well". That'll do for a start. Mike, Bridgend, Wales

But Mike, in the phrase 'I'm well', 'well' is simply an adjective meaning the opposite of 'ill'. We frequently substitute 'fine', so why not 'good' as *well*? (see what I did there?)

I say "I'm good" and would never say "I'm well" in this context, even though I'm diligent about correctly using "well" instead of "good" in all other appropriate situations. Sort of odd.

17. "Bangs" for a fringe of the hair. Philip Hall, Nottingham

Again, just another difference in terminology between the US and the UK. In my many many trips to the hairdresser's, I've never in my life heard them actually use the word 'Bangs', unless talking about loud noises or Ricky Martin.

See below.

19. I enjoy Americanisms. I suspect even some Americans use them in a tongue-in-cheek manner? "That statement was the height of ridiculosity". Bob, Edinburgh

I enjoy them too, Bob, I really do. But I have never heard anyone use the word 'ridiculosity'.

Neither have I. Bob from Edinburgh is just making shit up.

21. A "heads up". For example, as in a business meeting. Lets do a "heads up" on this issue. I have never been sure of the meaning. R Haworth, Marlborough

R Haworth, I think you may have come across an unusual (not to say wrong) usage of this phrase, it's usually used in someone giving someone else a 'heads-up', meaning alerting them to some useful information. It seems to be yet another sporting term, where an attitude with heads up is required before the players burst into action.

Yes, you're right, ono, and R is wrong. And I didn't even know about the sports origins.

22. Train station. My teeth are on edge every time I hear it. Who started it? Have they been punished? Chris Capewell, Queens Park, London

What the blazes is wrong with 'train station'? Chris, do you catch the bus from the 'road station'?

If it's not "train station" in the UK, what is it?

23. To put a list into alphabetical order is to "alphabetize it" - horrid! Chris Fackrell, York

I'm not sure that anyone with the same 'Fackrell' is in a position to complain that a word sounds horrid, but yet again, the meaning of 'alphabetize' is one that cannot be mistaken, so it least has the advantage of usefulness.

We use both, if that makes Chris feel any better.

I hate "my bad". I have no idea where it originated, but I've always assumed it started in the US, since that's the country I was in every time I heard it. And yes, it started as a terrible young person thing, but as is often the case (or as oftentimes happens) it has graduated to adult usage and abuse. Although these days, I think it's usually used ironically, because the phrase is now considered unhip.

25. "Normalcy" instead of "normality" really irritates me. Tom Gabbutt, Huddersfield

Well, Fowler raises no objection to their interchangeability, Tom, so unless you claim greater authority on the subject, I suggest you attempt to swallow your irritation.

I like that you've researched these. Did you post any of these responses under the original article?

26. As an expat living in New Orleans, it is a very long list but "burglarize" is currently the word that I most dislike. Simon, New Orleans

I have no argument for this one, since a perfectly good verb 'to burgle' already exists. All I can think of is that the illustrious brass players of New Orleans kept getting it mixed up with 'to bugle' and wanted a new word to avoid confusion.

It's used everywhere, not just in New Orleans. It's just a plain old Americanism, I guess, and I don't see the problem.

27. "Oftentimes" just makes me shiver with annoyance. Fortunately I've not noticed it over here yet. John, London

John, I shiver with apprehension at how easily annoyed you must be. To me, 'oftentimes' simply sounds a bit old-fashioned, and in its way, rather sweet.

I, too, enjoy the old-fashioned feeling of "oftentimes".

29. I'm a Brit living in New York. The one that always gets me is the American need to use the word bi-weekly when fortnightly would suffice just fine. Ami Grewal, New York

I think that 'fortnight' is a much more specifically British word than you realise, Ami. And why would Americans use the word 'fortnightly' when they don't use the word 'fortnight'? Do you also object if they tell you they're going on 'a two-week vacation'? I see that you are happy to use the phrase 'just fine' instead of 'perfectly well'.

This is just bizarre. For one thing, this isn't an Americanism that has infected the UK -- this is an Americanism used by Americans in America that Ami simply doesn't like. Jesus, get over it! I mean, I know that this all stems from the fact that the British used English first and therefore know better, but come on. You're not even playing by the rules of the article! Also, we don't "need" to use "bi-weekly". We just do, because that's the word we use. Jerk!

30. I hate "alternate" for "alternative". I don't like this as they are two distinct words, both have distinct meanings and it's useful to have both. Using alternate for alternative deprives us of a word. Catherine, London

You're right, Catherine, it is useful to have both. However, I really do think the predominant UK usage for the adjective is 'alternative', whilst US speakers favour 'alternate'. Is it so very hard to be sensitive to the background of the person speaking to you, Catherine?

I hear "alternative" at least as often as I use "alternate". But I suppose this is similar to my new most-hated thing, which is using "genius" in place of "ingenious". This appears to have been an instant global epidemic, but I hate it so much. My hatred of that would apparently force me to give Catherine a pass on her displeasure.

32. Going forward? If I do I shall collide with my keyboard. Ric Allen, Matlock

Goodness, Ric, do you never use metaphorical expressions in your everyday life? If someone tells you to 'pull your socks up', do you bend down and adjust your clothing? In the grand panoply of buzzwords (of which I think this is an example, rather than the Americanism you accuse it of being) this is surely less objectionable than 'blue-sky thinking' or 'picking the low-hanging fruit'.

Yes. This is just obnoxious. Ric is going out of his way to be a smug dick, and he's succeeded, with the bonus of appearing foolish, as well.

33. I hate the word "deliverable". Used by management consultants for something that they will "deliver" instead of a report. Joseph Wall, Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire

Joseph, I refer you to your own phrase 'used by management consultants' for an explanation of your dislike of this word. Besides, a deliverable is simply something which is to be delivered. It could take many forms, which is why it is handy to have a word to cover all possibilities.

Yes to this, and all like it. All such words are terrible business jargon, never used by regular people anywhere.

34. The most annoying Americanism is "a million and a half" when it is clearly one and a half million! A million and a half is 1,000,000.5 where one and a half million is 1,500,000. Gordon Brown, Coventry

Dear me, Mr Brown, where was your keen grasp of figures when you were selling off the UK's gold reserves? Seriously, though, if someone were speaking to you of 'a million and a half acres of rainforest', your brain would interpret this as 1,000,000.5 acres? I have no argument against such wilful pedantry.

Nothing to add to this strangeness because you said it all, ono. The only reason I didn't leave it off completely is because it is so weird I wanted to highlight it.

35. "Reach out to" when the correct word is "ask". For example: "I will reach out to Kevin and let you know if that timing is convenient". Reach out? Is Kevin stuck in quicksand? Is he teetering on the edge of a cliff? Can't we just ask him? Nerina, London

Number one, Nerina, I have never heard anyone say this. Number two, if I did, I would assume that the person speaking did not have easy and instant access to Kevin, therefore rendering the phrase more as 'I will try and get hold of Kevin'. I suspect this phrase has developed as a direct result of the slippery nature of most middle managers.

The only time I've ever heard this used is when someone has become disconnected from their friends and family for some sort of sad reason, and one of those friends or family members suggests that someone should "reach out to" that person. Or when you hear that someone you've drifted away from due to common reasons -- moving, someone got married and had kids and you didn't, etc. -- has suffered a loss, and you are moved to "reach out to them." I'm not aware of any other use of the phrase.

36. Surely the most irritating is: "You do the Math." Math? It's MATHS. Michael Zealey, London

Well if we're being that arsey about it, Michael, the word is MATHEMATICS - which in the UK we abbreviate to 'maths' and in the US they abbreviate to 'math'. Simples.

"Maths" has always sounded weird to me, but it's none of my business, so I've never mentioned it. No offense to anyone.

This is only used, as far as I know, when someone is being intentionally ungrammatical for the sake of humor. Usually very mild or low-key humor, as it's become a cliche' by now.

41. I really hate the phrase: "Where's it at?" This is not more efficient or informative than "where is it?" It just sounds grotesque and is immensely irritating. Adam, London

Steer clear of Wales, Adam. People there say 'Where's it by?' and 'It's over by there.' If 'Where's it at?' infuriates you, I suspect the Welsh tendency will lead you to have a coronary.

I hate "where's it at", too, but it's just basic bad grammar that shouldn't be associated with one country.

43. My pet hate is "winningest", used in the context "Michael Schumacher is the winningest driver of all time". I can feel the rage rising even using it here. Gayle, Nottingham

Indeed, Gayle, 'winningest' should, strictly speaking, be reserved for sentences such as 'All of the ladies had winning smiles, but Gayle possessed the winningest'. The correct term for the example you give should be 'cheatingest'.

In fairness, I also hate "winningest".

50. "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less" has to be the worst. Opposite meaning of what they're trying to say. Jonathan, Birmingham

Now this is quite interesting (and I use the word 'interesting' here in its loosest sense). It seems that the American usage is a sarcastic shorthand for saying 'As if there might be anything about which I could care less'. So it's really being used in a different way from its UK cousin. Evidently Jonathan could *not* care less about investigating this in any way.

Again, in fairness, I hate this one, too, but I've long wondered about your generous take, Col, that those, or some of those, who say "I could care less" are being sarcastic. If so, I wonder at the chicken-and-egg-ness of it all -- did someone once mishear "I couldn't care less" as "I could care less", and from the context deduced that the phrase was used sarcastically, leading us to now having two similar but completely different phrases that mean the same thing based on the tone in which they are delivered? Interesting.

Okay, as for all my "see below" comments: I understand this comes from being annoyed that Americanisms are creeping into the UK and obliterating (hyperbole, but still) specific Britishisms. Which I understand. But what's curious to me is the reverse, in other words, all the Britishisms that Americans keep trying to adopt, and how badly, in my view, that has failed. And it hasn't failed because the Britishisms are so bad or obnoxious or stupid or anything...I happen to love British English. It's that I don't think it works in American mouths. "Take the piss", "bloody", "gobsmacked"...I've heard all these and more coming from Americans, and it always sounds, or reads, as the case may be, as some awful affectation, as if the speaker/writer is trying to solidify their hipness by sounding like a cool British person. And they're good phrases! I hugely prefer "Cheers" in place of "Thanks" (don't know why, I just think it sounds friendlier), but I could never bring myself to say it, because it would just be me trying hard to be pointlessly different, like wearing a fedora to draw attention to myself. Fedoras look good on people who look good wearing fedoras, by which I mean, men from the 1940s. They look stupid now, because the people who wear them now are not from the 1940s. Don't ask me how this works, it's just how it is. Similarly, "Cheers" doesn't work when I say it, because I'm not British.

Also, when I hear a British person use a word or phrase that I'm only used to hearing from an American, it sounds similarly strange. For example, "guys", as in "Hey you guys, come over here" (or whatever)...has that always been common over there? Maybe it has been, but when I hear it coming from a Brit, I tilt my head in confusion.

THE END

Last edited by bill; 27th Jul 2011 at 13:15.
bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2011, 2:33   #6
Beth
Senior Palimpsester

I like saying "bloody hell" when it fits. Gives me a little thrill, it do.

More to the point, why must the assumption exist that an "Americanism" is a degradation rather than a refinement?
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2011, 10:46   #7
Ang
Senior Palimpsester

After 20 years of living in Britain, I still say "gotten" as it sounds better to me. Shortening it to "got" in some sentences sounds akin to using the word "ain't" when I was young, probably because people would say "I ain't got no..."

My sons use "gotten" and it's quickly circled in red by their teachers.

Another I struggle with is "Maths" instead of "Math", but I have to use the British version as I am closely involved with schools.

Bill, it's Ono, not Col who wrote the original post. They are excellent replies and like bill, I am heartened to see this thread in defense of "American English", and I agree that many of these are not even examples of such.

Some words I just cannot bring myself to pronounce the way I should in Britain, as they just sound wrong when I try. My sons have taken to correcting my pronunciation and I just say "Have you noticed I'm American?"

Last edited by Ang; 27th Jul 2011 at 11:26.
Ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jul 2011, 13:15   #8
bill
Senior Palimpsester

Oh hell. Sorry, ono, and I fixed it.
Old 27th Jul 2011, 21:17   #9
kjml
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

Hi Ono, (or should I say "Hallo" instead?)
Your defense of the speech habits and mannerisms of your benighted brethren in the colonies is well appreciated. I had a whale of a time reading it! Thanks for that, too. You have a gift for puncturing the hyperbolic balloon of snark with wit which is as charming as it is sharp.

That said, I think #47 is worth another look: "to medal" is just one of (It seems to me) an increasing number of coinages of verbs from nouns for which there are already in the language perfectly adequate, and less deliberately odd, expressions (e.g. 'win a medal'). That is, they seem forced into being for emphasis, or just to be different. Sometimes these coinages, as you note above, are the products of business types who enjoy industry jargon, and sometimes it may be media spokesmen who ad lib, sometimes hilariously; but sometimes, I think, there is more behind it.

My favorite example is "reveal", used as a noun. What is wrong with "revelation"? My gut sense is that someone - likely in the writing programs, which now abound - decided that "revelation" carried too much of a religious/spiritual overtone to be generally useful, and opted for "reveal" as a neutral substitute. This may or may not be the history, but I think the tendency to alter words or adapt verbs to nouns for this kind of idiosyncratic accent is becoming quite common.(Maybe its a philosophical development: To each express our own individual 'truth' we need our own peculiar and idiosyncratic English!)

What part laziness or lack of proper grammatical education plays is still to be determined, but this much seems clear to me at least: people - whether American (only) or any other (as well) I don't know - are taking greater liberties with verb-noun derivations than they did previously. I am not saying that the phenomenon is new('To winter in the South is already old news.): but that it seems to me to be more pervasive than ever. It marks a subtle but, I think, intentional change in vernacular, the reason for which is a complete mystery to me.

I hope this has not taken us too far afield from your rebuttal. I thought someone with your obvious insight might shed some light on this, if you think it a real phenomenon and one that interests you. It may be a true Americanism!
Thanks again for the great fun and sharp insights, and best regards
kjml
kjml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jul 2011, 10:21   #10
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill View Post

If it's not "train station" in the UK, what is it?
Usual UK usage is 'railway station', but seeing as there's no ambiguity in 'train station', I can't really understand the objection to it, myself.

Quote:
Quote:

I like that you've researched these. Did you post any of these responses under the original article?
I didn't - I rarely post anything on 'media' websites like the BBC, or newspaper sites. And there were so many responses, it seemed a bit futile just to add another drop to the ocean.

Quote:
Again, in fairness, I hate this one, too, but I've long wondered about your generous take, Col, that those, or some of those, who say "I could care less" are being sarcastic. If so, I wonder at the chicken-and-egg-ness of it all -- did someone once mishear "I couldn't care less" as "I could care less", and from the context deduced that the phrase was used sarcastically, leading us to now having two similar but completely different phrases that mean the same thing based on the tone in which they are delivered? Interesting.

I'm not sure, I just did a bit of reading and this seemed a fairly commonly expressed reason for the difference. It seemed reasonable to me, especially if I imagined the person saying: 'I could care less? How?'

Quote:
Also, when I hear a British person use a word or phrase that I'm only used to hearing from an American, it sounds similarly strange. For example, "guys", as in "Hey you guys, come over here" (or whatever)...has that always been common over there? Maybe it has been, but when I hear it coming from a Brit, I tilt my head in confusion.

I'm guilty of this - maybe it's because I watch too much TV. My latest is using 'man' to express how extreme I find something, as in 'Man, it's hot today.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjml View Post
I think #47 is worth another look: "to medal" is just one of (It seems to me) an increasing number of coinages of verbs from nouns for which there are already in the language perfectly adequate, and less deliberately odd, expressions (e.g. 'win a medal'). That is, they seem forced into being for emphasis, or just to be different. Sometimes these coinages, as you note above, are the products of business types who enjoy industry jargon, and sometimes it may be media spokesmen who ad lib, sometimes hilariously; but sometimes, I think, there is more behind it.

My favorite example is "reveal", used as a noun. What is wrong with "revelation"? My gut sense is that someone - likely in the writing programs, which now abound - decided that "revelation" carried too much of a religious/spiritual overtone to be generally useful, and opted for "reveal" as a neutral substitute. This may or may not be the history, but I think the tendency to alter words or adapt verbs to nouns for this kind of idiosyncratic accent is becoming quite common.(Maybe its a philosophical development: To each express our own individual 'truth' we need our own peculiar and idiosyncratic English!)

What part laziness or lack of proper grammatical education plays is still to be determined, but this much seems clear to me at least: people - whether American (only) or any other (as well) I don't know - are taking greater liberties with verb-noun derivations than they did previously. I am not saying that the phenomenon is new('To winter in the South is already old news.): but that it seems to me to be more pervasive than ever. It marks a subtle but, I think, intentional change in vernacular, the reason for which is a complete mystery to me.

I hope this has not taken us too far afield from your rebuttal. I thought someone with your obvious insight might shed some light on this, if you think it a real phenomenon and one that interests you. It may be a true Americanism!
Thanks again for the great fun and sharp insights, and best regards
kjml
Thanks for the kind words, kjml. I'm sure you're right about the tendency you highlight, i.e. that it is indeed an increasing phenomenon.

I've emboldened the specific phrases above, because I think they probably express, better than I could, some ways in which I think language evolves. The thing about requiring emphasis or difference in expression, for example, made me think of Shakespeare, who coined a vast number of the words and phrases we use today. Not that I necessarily think some of these instances are particularly Shakespearean, but new and different usages are not necessarily always to be censured.

I think it's one of the English language's great strenths that it lends itself to such flexibilities in usage. Certainly, sometimes the new coinages will be ugly, but sometimes they will be both useful and elegant. I suppose our challenge might be to attempt to make the distinction and try and encourage the use of the words we like through using them more often. Which I think we all do anyway! Win-win!

(By the way, a neologism I like is 'game-changer', which I heard for the first time just a few days ago, and seem to have heard several times since. I do love a phrase which makes its meaning so instantly clear.)

Last edited by ono no komachi; 28th Jul 2011 at 10:41.
ono no komachi is offline   Reply With Quote