Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 30th Mar 2007, 12:21   #191
Daveybot
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Default Re: Today, I will be mostly listening to...

Bathtime in Clerkenwell by The Real Tuesday Weld. Otherwise known as 'that song wot is off of the the Lucozade advert with all the birds'.

It has a lovely video, too.

I just can't help it - it's so jolly! It's also fast-becoming Britney's favourite song to boogy along to.
Daveybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Mar 2007, 12:59   #192
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Send a message via MSN to Stewart

I bought a CD direct from a girl in Poland this week and it arrived this morning. Her name is Gabriela Kulka and she plays the piano. Her voice is reminiscent of Kate Bush, her music like that of Tori Amos but with a darker tone. You can listen to the whole album on the site. I've been living off a few free downloads of hers until today so I'll be mosly listening to her album today.
Old 31st Mar 2007, 14:40   #193
Peronel
Junior Palimpsestarian
is hanging around suspiciously

Quote:
Made of plastic and elastic
He is rugged and long-lasting
Who could ever ask for more?
Indeed... :)

EDIT: Erm..this was supposed to show up after Junkmonkey's post on The Dresden Dolls.

Oops

Last edited by Peronel; 2nd Apr 2007 at 14:23.
Peronel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2007, 13:18   #194
beer good
Palimpsestarian
could do better

Frank Sinatra's 1970 concept album Watertown. This is one of those weird albums that looks like a trainwreck on paper but actually ends up a gem; a half-hour song cycle about the a-changing times as the modern age smokes down the track and the old Hollywood US of stay-at-home wives and absent working fathers in felt hats suddenly doesn't exist anymore - Sinatra's protagonist might have been the hero of the piece 20-30 years earlier, played by Cary Grant, but in 1970 it's a different world; his wife leaves him to find this thing called life and he has to take care of the kids and examine what he's done with his life. Where other older singers might have felt out of place among all the electric instruments and brief pop song formats, Sinatra shines; almost whispering the lyrics at times, and then rising to let loose that then-still-mighty baritone when the songs call for it... heartbreaking, cinematic and sadly overlooked. Do yourselves a favour and check it out.

Goodreads (2013 and older)
Movies I've seen
beer good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2007, 16:01   #195
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Send a message via MSN to Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
Dresden Dolls' - Coin-Operated Boy. I'm not listening to it with my ears, it's stuck in my head. The hookiest hook I've heard in years. It's driving me mad.
I was listening to it at the weekend. I have to admit, I've been humming it myself since.
Old 2nd Apr 2007, 18:34   #196
Daveybot
Senior Palimpsester

That Frank Sinatra album sounds fascinating, Beer Good, but today I will mostly be listening to...

The Nine Beet Stretch

It's a recording of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony stretched out so that listening to the whole thing takes twenty four hours.

Allow me to explain.

My natural working habitat is in a busy studio full of goings on and hubbub. I like and need background noise, but the studio space for 6th year students at my school leaves a lot to be desired*, so I'm stuck at home most of the time in a basement room that's rather quiet - sideways glance at camera - Too quiet, in fact.

For my normal workings involving drawing and modelling, I find music, singing, or talking just fine. I'll listen to all sorts throughout the day - Radio, podcasts, songs, you name it. However at the moment I'm doing some writing, and I find thinking about words more difficult when people are singing their own at me. Even up-beat rhythms can distract me, but when working I still crave a certain level of background listening beyond that which the builders next door can supply.

Hence the Nine Beet Stretch. Bland, undistracting, but vaguely tonal - perfect for my dissertation.

It's all at a lovely tone, pitch, and quality, but it's soooooo slooooooow that any recognisable rhythm or tune is lost amid pure swells and moods. It's barely music - just slightly varying tonal noise. I first got ahold of it a couple of years back when working a lot of all-nighters at the office, and time really does fly by when you're lost in its weird whale-song of exploration. I think I'll term it 'music to watch paint dry / grass grow / cheese mature by'

Where many websites give you 30-second samples, the Nine Beet Stretch gives you a ten minute sample, and it takes abut five for the first note to get into full swing. The first movement alone is a whopping 319 megabytes split over five eighty-minute MP3s!

Anyway, you can find out more at the rather nasty website here, or you can download the whole stretch for yourselves (if your hard drive can take it) here.

It's very very weird.

*It doesn't exist
Old 3rd Apr 2007, 9:40   #197
Digger
Senior Palimpsester

Send a message via MSN to Digger

No wonder you looked somewhat dazed when I got back last night!

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2007, 17:43   #198
Daveybot
Senior Palimpsester

Pandora.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but it just keeps playing me wonderful stuff. I advertise Last.fm a lot, but Pandora is even better when it comes to effortlessly discovering new music. You type in what you like and it will play you a stream of similar stuff. You can tweak it by voting yay or nay on each song, but normally I'm so pleased with what it returns that I hardly touch a thing - just leave it playing in the background.

It's particularly handy for genres I know little about, so right now I'm listening to a lot of jazz. A station based on Django Reinhardt is excellent summery background music, and I'm also loving another slower, more soulful station based on Benny Goodman's Blue Horizon.

And if anyone feels they don't have enough old school hip hop in their lives - And let's face it: who does? - then this station will keep you happy for hours.

Oh, and you may need to pretend you live in the US to register for continued listening. I advise using George's address - he won't mind.
Old 30th Apr 2007, 17:55   #199
Miriamaok
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

I've got a huge weakness for covers so I've been listening to Nouvelle Vague who do very sweet bossa nova inspired covers of '80's songs.
Flickr
Miriamaok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Apr 2007, 19:21   #200
John from Paris
Palimpsestarian
laughs in the face of fear

Will check this one out, Miriamaok.
For me today it's The Original Soundtrack by 10cc.
Sheer genius. Knocks Queen into the proverbial cocked hat.
John from Paris is offline   Reply With Quote