Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 27th May 2003, 13:13   #1
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Default book (buying) clubs

Is anyone a member of a book club? The sort of institution that sells cheapo books off the back of sunday supplements and the like?

Old 27th May 2003, 14:32   #2
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

No. Haven't bought any books from clubs since the Puffin club did the quarterly rounds at primary school. I got a brilliant detective kit from there, and promptly lost half of it in the playground.
Lucoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2004, 18:16   #3
caprilaser
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

Default Puffn Club

I LOVED the Puffin Club so much...I saw a Puffin Club mug on Ebay a while ago and was very tempted...that lovely newsletter...

But, yes, I am a regular abuser of book clubs. I try to join, get the books I want, then fulfill my 'obligation' by buying presents i would buy anyway...
caprilaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Sep 2004, 19:18   #4
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Was a member of TSP for a while, and does The Folio Society count?

Hazel

pandop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Sep 2004, 23:02   #5
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Yes I have occasionally been tempted by the Folio Society, but have never succumbed. I think this is because (a) their books are ridiculously expensive, £30+ I seem to recall, and (b) they're selling the idea of old-style beautifully-produced hardbacks but which aren't old at all and whose very intentness of aesthetic niceness makes them slightly repellent, in a perverse way. If that makes sense.

I have always avoided all the book clubs in the back of Sunday supplements, all of whom I believe are run by Book Club Associates. So all of them deal in (a) tiny hardbacks of Jilly Cooper the size of a matchbox, and (b) gigantic unwieldy paperbacks which are supposedly indistinguishable from the 'original hardback'... er, except for the crappy binding which falls apart after one read.

I am however a 'member' of www.uk.bol.com which occasionally sells original editions (eg hardback of Cloud Atlas, or those Penguin Great Ideas paperbacks) at greatly reduced (60% off) prices. It's only a technical membership since you only have to buy two books in total in a space of six months then no more, ever, and there's no opt-out Editor's Choice, so it's not exactly arduous.
John Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Sep 2004, 9:54   #6
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self
Yes I have occasionally been tempted by the Folio Society, but have never succumbed. I think this is because (a) their books are ridiculously expensive, £30+ I seem to recall, and (b) they're selling the idea of old-style beautifully-produced hardbacks but which aren't old at all and whose very intentness of aesthetic niceness makes them slightly repellent, in a perverse way. If that makes sense
They aren't all that expensive, although some of them are *really* expensive.

Mum and I alternate who is the member to get the joining/rejoining/staying offers, which can be really good. Besides, the books look good on my bookcase .....

Hazel

pandop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Sep 2004, 13:41   #7
NottyImp
the aging anarchist
could do better

I was briefly a member of an Historical bookclub because they had four books I wanted in their initial offer. I then bought the minimum four follow-ups and left.