No 10 45.45%
Ho ho ho! 12 54.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th Dec 2006, 14:07   #31
HP
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Default Re: The Weather

Sorry, k - but LA weather is boring. Bland and monotonous. I love temperate sunshiney days, but I like variety too. My gripe about living where we do (very centre of southern-most England) is that the season changes are too gentle. Up in the North-East we had Seasons with a capital S. There again, I like dramatic weather every so often ... providing me and mine are safe, of course!
HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2006, 14:11   #32
wshaw
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Agreed, HP. My ideal weather comes in the tropics in the sort of place where it's steaming hot and sunny in the morning, then the clouds appear and by evening you've for a magnificent wide-screen quadraphonic thunderstorm to keep you entertained.
Old 4th Dec 2006, 14:17   #33
Kimberley
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

I suppose I haven't spent long enough in LA to notice, HP. Brisbane is very stable most of the time, though when it gets interesting, it gets very interesting, with fabulous storms sending down lightning bolts that slice full grown gum trees in half and wind gusts bringing in smoke and ashes from bush fire that send you inside stuffing socks around the cracks in your doors so the ash doesn't come with you.

300 days a year though, or more, it's sunshiny and calm with little traces of clouds dancing across the sky. And bloody hot.
Kimberley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2006, 14:27   #34
Digger
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Send a message via MSN to Digger

Give me changing weather over LA or anywhere else with 'stable' weather any day. As with others here, I'd get seriously bored.

I like fog, cold crisp and clear, windy, bright and sunny, hazy and sunny, long evenings into short, all the multitudes of rain varietals, snow, frost, that British fave sunshine and showers, and even on occasion those nonentity grey days that, while I agree get a bit much after a long time, actually don't worry me too much. England really can get four seasons in one day, and I love that. Driving sleet is even ok, if you don't have to go out!

Having worked outside for the majority of the past 6 years, you'd actually be quite surprised at how dry it is. It really doesn't rain - I mean proper getting wet rain - that much. Well, maybe sometimes it does, but not not as much as people say it does!

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2006, 14:31   #35
wshaw
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
Having worked outside for the majority of the past 6 years, you'd actually be quite surprised at how dry it is. It really doesn't rain - I mean proper getting wet rain - that much. Well, maybe sometimes it does, but not not as much as people say it does!
It's curious, that, isn't it - the difference between perception of British rain and the reality of it? I used to cycle from Hackney into Central London every day for two or three years and I think I got wet once in all that time. Somebody produced a statistic about the probability of getting rained on during a half hour cycle commute in London and it was surprisingly low. Can't acutally remember where I saw that statistic, of course.
Old 4th Dec 2006, 15:13   #36
Hekaterine
Palimpsestarian
laughs in the face of fear

Quote:
On the other hand, I'm beginning to understand why Brits talk about the weather. I'm even doing it myself.
I shall take a leaf from Norton Juster's book The Phantom Tollbooth and talk about the Whether. After all, he says, surely it's more important to know whether there will be weather than what the weather will be?
Hekaterine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2006, 19:14   #37
JunkMonkey
Senior Palimpsester
should be ashamed

I was standing outside Morrison's the other day, sheltering from the usual howling gale lashing Fort William when two old dears met right infront of me
"Terrible weather isn't it?" one asked.
"Aye," said the other, "Terrible."
This pointless exchange happens all the time. It's a near ubiquitous way of greeting near strangers and old friends around here. (Mind you we do have a lot more weather than most places up here). It occured to me as I watched this particular pair go through the ritual that it wasn't as pointless as I thought. In a way these two old biddies were checking that their perceptions of reality were in synch. They were asking each other "Have you gone totally doolally yet, or is it still safe to talk to you?"

Maybe I shouldn't get out more.

There Are Not Seven Words In My Signature
JunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2006, 19:24   #38
John from Paris
Palimpsestarian
laughs in the face of fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
"Terrible weather isn't it?" one asked.
"Aye," said the other, "Terrible."
This pointless exchange happens all the time.
It's not totally pointless, JM. It's what linguists call phatic language: "used to convey general sociability rather than to communicate a specific meaning" [COD] - or, more pretentiously, phatic communion.
It's no more pointless than:
"How are you, then?"
"Oooh, I'm fine!"
John from Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2006, 10:40   #39
Daveybot
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
..."Have you gone totally doolally yet, or is it still safe to talk to you?"...
I'm never talking about the weather again - from now on, that is my small-talk greeting of choice!
Daveybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Dec 2006, 10:45   #40
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from Paris View Post
It's not totally pointless, JM. It's what linguists call phatic language: "used to convey general sociability rather than to communicate a specific meaning" [COD] - or, more pretentiously, phatic communion.
!"
Totally OT: From the Greek 'phanai' - 'to speak', and the Latin verb 'fo, fare, fatum', meaning the same. From which we get 'infant' - a child who has not yet learned to speak.

Meanwhile it is coming down in stair-rods here