Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Book Reviews

Old 4th Nov 2009, 10:51   #1
Ang
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Default IMPAC Dublin Literary Award 2010

The longlist for 2010 of 156 books (published in 200 has been announced.

I haven’t paid much attention to this prize before, but I have read 21 of the longlist. Twelve of those I would rate as best reads, 5 as positive, 2 neutral, and only 2 bad (Child 44!!!!! again?)

Anyway, my point is that I think this may be quite a good way of taking nominations. It is a wider readership than just a few judges and gives a fantastic “geographic balance”. It even seems to make sense that the books are from last year – some are not yet available in the UK but probably will be by the time the winner is announced.

I suspect I will have read more of these by the time the shortlist is announced, but not necessarily because they are on this list.
Old 4th Nov 2009, 13:06   #2
Twinkle Toes
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

Default Re: IMPAC Dublin Literary Award 2010

Based on the half dozen or so I've read, and several more I've read reviews of, this list offers a wide range of literariness. That's interesting in itself - a snap shot of the kind of stories the nominators have enjoyed as well as the type of writing.

Mudbound for example is an interesting story of racism in the American south just before and during WW2. But Hillary Jordan is a so-so writer. The pace is good, the characters are complex and well drawn, but the writing can be cliched. However, Mudbound is noteworthy because Jordon, an unpublished writer, won a competition with publication as part of the prize. The story I heard is that the publishers then asked her to re-write it with only white main characters. They were either nervous that a white author would be criticised for writing black characters, or couldn't adequately write black characters, or both. She refused and found another publisher. The novel is very sympathetic towards its black characters. Jordan's characters, black and white, were the strengths of this novel.

Re God's Own Country - don't believe a word anyone says about the local Welsh dialect. It's set in Yorkshire. A worthy contender.

My favourite of the small selection I've read is The Truth Commissioner by David Park. A much overlooked writer.

Last edited by Twinkle Toes; 4th Nov 2009 at 14:49.
Twinkle Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Nov 2009, 13:47   #3
bill
Senior Palimpsester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang View Post
I haven’t paid much attention to this prize before, but I have read 21 of the longlist. Twelve of those I would rate as best reads, 5 as positive, 2 neutral, and only 2 bad (Child 44!!!!! again?)
I'm going to have to give Child 44 a look. Based on the unanimously bad reviews around here, I was going to skip it, but all these big awards nominations just leave me too curious and bewildered. If nothing else, I want to share everyone's outrage.
Old 4th Nov 2009, 16:15   #4
Ang
Senior Palimpsester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill View Post
I'm going to have to give Child 44 a look. Based on the unanimously bad reviews around here, I was going to skip it, but all these big awards nominations just leave me too curious and bewildered. If nothing else, I want to share everyone's outrage.
As I recall, only one contributor to the Man Booker Forum 2008 liked it. Of the rest of us, who disliked it, I don't think anyone minded the inclusion of a thriller, although that's what got reported. What was objected to was the inclusion of such a bad book.
Old 5th Nov 2009, 17:59   #5
Lizzy Siddal
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

I enjoyed all 6 of the longlist that I have read .... which bodes well for the other 27 in the TBR .
Old 12th Apr 2010, 13:52   #6
Crake
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

The Impac shortlist.

Pulitzer prize winners and finalists will also be announced today.
Old 12th Apr 2010, 15:07   #7
KevinfromCanada
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crake View Post
The Impac shortlist.

Pulitzer prize winners and finalists will also be announced today.
Thanks for this Crake -- IMPAC had two dates up on the website and I presumed it would be Wednesday to avoid the Pulitzers.

A very interesting list, mainly because of what is missing from the longlist (The White Tiger for a start). A couple of translations, which is nice, and a fair sampling. I like this prize because I think it is a good reflection of "serious" reader tastes. I ran a contest on my blog last year and plan to do the same this year -- will check back with a link once I have put it together.

Collections: Dance of the Happy Shades, Alice Munro; Bark, Lorrie Moore

KevinfromCanada
KevinfromCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Apr 2010, 19:42   #8
Crake
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinfromCanada View Post
Thanks for this Crake -- IMPAC had two dates up on the website and I presumed it would be Wednesday to avoid the Pulitzers.
You're welcome, KevinfromCanada. Yes, I was surprised that the Pulitzer prizes and the Impac shortlist were announced on the same day.

As regards the shortlist, Marilynne Robinson's books seem to appear in almost every book award list. Today I bought Housekeeping, her first novel and probably my first Robinson after I finish with Hoffmann's tales.
Old 19th May 2010, 16:31   #9
KevinfromCanada
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

I've finished reading the IMPAC shortlist and, like last year, found it a worthwhile experience -- nothing that soared to the top, but then that is hardly a surprise since they were all published in 2008. And I still respect that that delay is because all the books have been "reader-tested" in the library systems that nominated them.

My personal choice is Settlement by Christoph Hein, translated from the German -- I know Lizzy liked it as well. I can't find any references to Hein here, so I will open a thread and post a copy of my review. I know he is well regarded in Germany and has had other novels translated -- I'm hoping that others have read some and have opinions to offer.

And my IMPAC contest is till open. If you haven't entered, click on my blog link below and hazard a guess.

KevinfromCanada
Old 16th Jun 2010, 22:27   #10
KevinfromCanada
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

A request for help --does anyone know what time the 2010 IMPAC winner will be named? I realize I am one of the few people who is interested, but I can't find any reference. Thanks in advance.

KevinfromCanada