Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Book Reviews

Tags
hans fallada

Old 2nd Jun 2010, 10:33   #1
chrisphillips
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

Default Hans Fallada: Alone In Berlin / Every Man Dies Alone

I award Hans Fallada's Alone In Berlin . I had an idea it was going to run out of steam about two thirds of the way through when a certain event takes place but it maintains tremendous momentum right through to the very end. Despite Fallada's obvious sympathy for the Hampels, he is keen to emphasise the futility of the actual acts of resistance which creates a certain air of hopelessness. Overall, however, the dignity and honour in simply remaining decent and not taking part are most resonant to me.

The translation is rather odd in places though, not that I speak German. In addtion I have some reservations about it being marketed in the UK currently as a shallow 3 for 2 thriller with a back cover blurb worthy of James Patterson.

Ho hum.
chrisphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jun 2010, 10:50   #2
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Default Re: 2010 Palimplist Discussions

Sounds like one I want to pick up before too long (hols in a couple of weeks' time - will put this one in the suitcase if I don't get around to it before then.)
ono no komachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jun 2010, 11:04   #3
chrisphillips
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

Default Re: Hans Fallada: Alone In Berlin / Every Man Dies Alone

Apologies, I'd assumed there was already a thread on this one as it had been reviewed on Asylum and I didn;lt really have a great deal to say about it.

I'm keen to read more of Fallada's books. I've got The Drinker at home which I bought in New York before he had been published in the UK, but it's an unwieldy paperback which doesn't lend itself to being read on trains or in pubs. I may hold out for a few months as encouraging sales figures resulting from Alone In Berlin being plonked on the 3 for 2 desk might see his others being reissued into more convenient sizes.
chrisphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jun 2010, 12:29   #4
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

No need to apologise, chris; there was no existing thread on Fallada so you were right to start one. I'll paste in my blog posts on Alone in Berlin and Little Man, What Now? later.

Yes, the paperbacks of The Drinker and Little Man... are not very nice, are they? Unfortunately I don't believe there is any prospect of them being reissued in a more convenient size. I have had conflicting reports on the matter from Penguin and Melville House, but the end result is that Melville publish the other Fallada books in the UK as well as the US, so Penguin can't. I noticed that their newest reissue, Wolf Among Wolves, about a secret agent working undercover in a Black Country football team, is smaller and closer to normal paperback size, but is 900 pages long!
Old 2nd Aug 2010, 17:39   #5
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

I've just finished Alone In Berlin and it made a deep impression. I thought there were very effective shifts in emphasis throughout: first, on people trying to live ordinary lives with events of casual cruelty occurring round about them, then the acts of resistance buildling in intensity, both with the increasing need to carry them out, and an increasing risk of being found out, then a final relentless building of tension and barbaric cruelty.

It is harrowing, even horrific at times - which makes it all the more effective.
ono no komachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 11:56   #6
chrisphillips
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

Oh, no. Somebody has attained the film rights. Anyone heard of Vincent Perez or Stefan Amdt? In other news, some Americans are apparently planning a remake of The Lives Of Others.

WHY, FOR CHRIST'S SAKE????????????
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 14:07   #7
bill
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

I think a very good film could be made from Every Man Dies Alone. Stefan Arndt has some producer connection with Tom Tykwer. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Speaking of doubts, I have mine that the Lives of Others remake will happen. I remember hearing about it when the original came out, and now we're five years on, and I've heard nothing else about it. I could be wrong, obviously, and I often am, but I'm still not holding my breath.
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 15:50   #8
chrisphillips
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

To be fair I do think the right personnel could make a good fist of Alone In Berlin/Every Man Dies Alone. I wonder if the time shifts might not work quite as well on screen but compression the arc of the story could well lessen the impact of that.

I hope you're correct about The Lives Of Others. A remake would be superfluous. Incidentally there are trailers available for the remake of Let The Right One In. I can't say I'm in any rush to view it.
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 16:02   #9
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisphillips View Post
Incidentally there are trailers available for the remake of Let The Right One In. I can't say I'm in any rush to view it.
Just popped it in over here, chris. Go on, you know you want to!
Old 19th Jul 2012, 15:39   #10
wshaw
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Default Alone in Berlin

Anybody read this? It's a well known book but I've only just come across it. Written in the style of a 1930s pot boiler but about the real horror of living with Nazism in the months after WWII.
wshaw is offline   Reply With Quote