Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Film Reviews

Old 30th Jul 2005, 22:56   #21
m.
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

:D Hey! I wanted to warn you, not to make you want to see it! Wajda had better films, and Polanski as an actor was probably best in The Fearless Vampire Killers (or in The Tenant, which I haven't seen...). Sadly I don't remember his cameo in Chinatown - I hardly remember the film...

Here you've got him in The Revenge

And on the same site a review, apparently more favourable than my opinion about this film... Ah well. I didn't like it.
m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2005, 21:11   #22
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Send a message via MSN to Stewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.
Polanski as an actor was probably best in The Fearless Vampire Killers (or in The Tenant, which I haven't seen...).
I think he was great in The Tenant. I love that film, especially the ending.
Old 17th Aug 2005, 23:48   #23
kumquat
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Send a message via MSN to kumquat

Good grief, I just watched 'The Hollow' this evening and it is PANTS!!! It's meant to be the sequel to 'Sleepy Hollow' but honestly if Johnny Depp knows anything about this he'd run a mile from any kind of association. Truly awful plot, acting, filming and effects. It was like a home movie. Really, really bad!!
Old 17th Aug 2005, 23:52   #24
kumquat
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Send a message via MSN to kumquat

i felt the need for something cheerful in the wake of such an unforgiveably bad film.
Old 18th Aug 2005, 0:07   #25
maxivida
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Send a message via ICQ to maxivida Send a message via MSN to maxivida

Has anyone known about this? I've just seen the trailer, and it looks a bit too colourful and made-up, none of the true Eastern European squalor that the book so well depicts. I don't think it can ever do the novel justice, but I'm still looking forward to seeing it.

maxivida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2005, 16:01   #26
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Yee! ono! Spirited Away ! You and me both!

I've watched the first half of Casablanca now, but then a child threw the DVD remote and it knacked and we're waiting delivery of a new one (£20, thank you, child Col), so that I can watch the rest. I'm liking what I see so far :D
Old 5th Sep 2005, 16:17   #27
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick green
Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo
Another Levi-esque title transformation. In the UK this was Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo - and he was definitely American (I saw trailers; unlike rick I didn't choose to watch the whole thing! :wink: ) - so I wonder why he became European? Perhaps they realised that Male Gigolo is a tautology.

EDIT: Sudden thought: could European Gigolo be an ill-advised sequel to Male Gigolo that we haven't even heard about in the UK yet? I feel sick...
Old 5th Sep 2005, 16:23   #28
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colyngbourne
Yee! ono! Spirited Away ! You and me both!
Yep, just amazing. I liked so many things about it that I can't list them all, but I really really really want to mention the little soot creatures. Wonderful.
ono no komachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2005, 16:27   #29
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Further investigation (I couldn't help myself) shows that, yes, Deuce Bigalow European Gigolo is a sequel. Sigh. Presumably rick will agree with this wicked review from Roger Ebert:

Quote:
"Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo" makes a living cleaning fish tanks and occasionally prostituting himself. How much he charges I'm not sure, but the price is worth it if it keeps him off the streets and out of another movie. "Deuce Bigalow" is aggressively bad, as if it wants to cause suffering to the audience. The best thing about it is that it runs for only 75 minutes.

Rob Schneider is back, playing a male prostitute (or, as the movie reminds us dozens of times, a "man whore"). He is not a gay hustler, but specializes in pleasuring women, although the movie's closest thing to a sex scene is when he wears diapers on orders from a giantess. Oh, and he goes to dinner with a woman with a laryngectomy, who sprays wine on him through her neck vent.

The plot: Deuce visits his friend T.J. Hicks (Eddie Griffin) in Amsterdam, where T.J. is a pimp specializing in man-whores. Business is bad, because a serial killer is murdering male prostitutes, and so Deuce acts as a decoy to entrap the killer. In his investigation he encounters a woman with a penis for a nose. You don't want to know what happens when she sneezes.

Does this sound like a movie you want to see? It sounds to me like a movie that Columbia Pictures and the film's producers (Glenn S. Gainor, Jack Giarraputo, Tom McNulty, Nathan Talbert Reimann, Adam Sandler and John Schneider) should be discussing in long, sad conversations with their inner child.

The movie created a spot of controversy last February. According to a story by Larry Carroll of MTV News, Rob Schneider took offense when Patrick Goldstein of the Los Angeles Times listed this year's Best Picture Nominees and wrote that they were "ignored, unloved and turned down flat by most of the same studios that ... bankroll hundreds of sequels, including a follow-up to 'Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo,' a film that was sadly overlooked at Oscar time because apparently nobody had the foresight to invent a category for Best Running Penis Joke Delivered by a Third-Rate Comic."

Schneider retaliated by attacking Goldstein in full-page ads in Daily Variety and the Hollywood Reporter. In an open letter to Goldstein, Schneider wrote: "Well, Mr. Goldstein, I decided to do some research to find out what awards you have won. I went online and found that you have won nothing. Absolutely nothing. No journalistic awards of any kind ... Maybe you didn't win a Pulitzer Prize because they haven't invented a category for Best Third-Rate, Unfunny Pompous Reporter Who's Never Been Acknowledged by His Peers."

Reading this, I was about to observe that Schneider can dish it out but he can't take it. Then I found he's not so good at dishing it out, either. I went online and found that Patrick Goldstein has won a National Headliner Award, a Los Angeles Press Club Award, a RockCritics.com award, and the Publicists' Guild award for lifetime achievement.

Schneider was nominated for a 2000 Razzie Award for Worst Supporting Actor, but lost to Jar-Jar Binks.

But Schneider is correct, and Patrick Goldstein has not yet won a Pulitzer Prize. Therefore, Goldstein is not qualified to complain that Columbia financed "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo" while passing on the opportunity to participate in "Million Dollar Baby," "Ray," "The Aviator," "Sideways" and "Finding Neverland." As chance would have it, I have won the Pulitzer Prize, and so I am qualified. Speaking in my official capacity as a Pulitzer Prize winner, Mr. Schneider, your movie sucks.
Old 5th Sep 2005, 16:52   #30
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

One of these