Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Film Reviews

Old 19th May 2005, 7:56   #11
Digger
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Send a message via MSN to Digger

Wellll yeees, but, aside from the fact that I don't have the option of being in Central Park at 2 in the morning, being found naked in parks most places gets you a name and reputation I'd rather not have, the red shoes are bad enough!

But, deserted hills in Wales and Scotland are a different matter.... :wink:

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jun 2005, 11:45   #12
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Kumquat:

Quote:
Churchill. The Hollywood Years
So, the same rating as The Third Man, eh! I think I rated it slightly lower, myself. Or are you just a Christian Slater drooler?
Old 22nd Jun 2005, 7:18   #13
m.
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Yesterday I saw Wicker Park once again - this time with wine, subtitles on and a friend who is a fan. I quite liked it - cinematography, music etc. etc. - but I didn't like it better than the first time round... But! The conversation that followed revealed that, although I got the basic things right, I hadn't got half of the plot! The structure of the film is achronological and I didn't understand many things, mixed what happened "now" and what "in the past". Which casts a new light etc. So this is, in fact, incredibly clever film...But you see, the thing is, that (apart from some possible IQ deficiencies) the reason why I didn't get it, is that I didn't care all that much about the characters, and watched it half-attentively... Now that I understand the film in detail - and my friend who is a fan said that if I needed more help she could draw graphs for me :D - I apppreciate it more, but still have problems with liking Matthew and Lisa.

Anyone seen it, and liked or disliked?
m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jun 2005, 10:01   #14
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

kumquat, you seem to have enjoyed Enduring Love?
Old 2nd Jul 2005, 1:10   #15
kumquat
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Send a message via MSN to kumquat

I did, yes. I know it's a failing of mine but I tend to score most films quite highly because I enjoy the experience and can't get too analytical when I'm having fun.
I know it was flawed and there were weak scenes there but overall I had a good time watching it. I particularly liked the scene when creepy guy is sat on the cllimbing frame in the rain. That went some way to making him sinister - overall he really wasn't but they did try!
Not a patch on the book of course.
Old 19th Jul 2005, 8:25   #16
kumquat
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Has anyone been watching 'To the end of the world' based on the golding sea trilogy? i watched the first one that i really enjoyed then missed the second one because watching tv is such a rarity i didn't think about it until it had passed. has anyone read the books themselves to make a comparison?
Old 19th Jul 2005, 9:22   #17
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

I have, kumquat, and it's excellent stuff. I'm hugely impressed that Talbot is so flawed, but you still want him to thrive and succeed. The below-decks intrigues are fascinating, but the big revelation to me is Captain Anderson (Jared Harris):

You'd want him on your side, not against you.

Can't wait for the last episode.
Old 19th Jul 2005, 11:17   #18
kumquat
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

a mate at work thinks he *might* have taped it. i really hope so as i'd like to watch them in sequence.....although as it's my day off today he'd have to remember to bring it in tomorrow and i'd have to get home and sit down immediately....hmm, maybe out of sequence won't be too disruptive.
Old 30th Jul 2005, 20:50   #19
m.
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick
34. The Pianist Polanski's Masterpiece
:D Yes Yes Yes

Polanski was for me always rather four stars director - to like rather than to love, and with occasional slips too*, as far as I can tell having seen only a few of his films. Pirates - not really my kind of thing, though quite entertaining; Frantic, Chinatown - I would need to rewatch, I've seen them quite a long time ago - I liked them, but they didn't make a lasting impression. But then Rosemary's Baby - cool, I really like it. And The Fearless Vampire Killers, or Pardon Me but Your Teeth Are in My Neck - wow, crazy mix of horror and comedy, genuinely scary and funny in turns...

But The Pianist is simply a masterpiece, I agree.

And Repulsion which I've seen lately, rather disturbing but very good - and I am not a fan of Deneuve.

BTW rick - I wanted to warn you about The Revenge - you might be tempted - direction Wajda, starring Polanski - it's not really good imho. It's the adaptation of the 19 C stage play (comedy in verse), and has good moments, but generally drags. I mean it's only my opinion, but better be warned. :D

*The Ninth Gate? Bitter Moon? I'm not sure about those and actually would like to see them again.
m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jul 2005, 21:28   #20
rick green
Palimpsestarian
could do better

Thanks for the tip, m. It does sound like something I'd watch with interest, but I don't know where I'd find it. My library just happens to have the three Polanski films I watched recently. In general, though, the selection is very hit-or-miss. Do you recall Polanski's cameo in Chinatown? He's the guy that cuts Nicholson's nose--great scene. :D