Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Palimpsest Forums > Features

Old 22nd Nov 2006, 20:33   #11
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Default Re: OLD WOLF - a short story

I felt that the type of animal didn't need to be explained explicitly - to the wolf it's all indiscriminately food, why does it need a name?
Old 22nd Nov 2006, 22:42   #12
leyla
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

amarie wrote:
'Lelya, I'm sorry if you think this sounds a bit harsh, but surely this is the sort of detail that we don't need on the Palimp?!'

Erm - not sure what has offended you in my post, amarie. Surely pre-menstrual tension is not a dirty word on the palimp? I agree that in-depth discussions of bodily functions or sex may not be appropriate and may well offend some, but even the most conservative broadsheets carry columns by female columnists who mention the way mood fluctuates with hormones. Plus I was mentioning it in a jokey way, if you look at the context. So you think all the mentions of sex etc in jokes are fine but PMT sentimentality is filth??
I think your comment is a bit puzzling since you didn't write anything in the face of far more potentially offensive posts - eg a paedophilic joke. Plus there has been far more graphic talk of bodily functions on previous threads, not started by myself.
Btw, it's not 'lelya'.
leyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2006, 8:49   #13
Hekaterine
Palimpsestarian
laughs in the face of fear

Well said Leyla. Come on guys, let's have a bit of consistency here. Only Leyla and I spoke up over the joke that Leyla mentions which was hugely tasteless (and spoke up in the gentlest terms) but Leyla and I have both had our wrists slapped by other people for mildly joking references to female sexuality.

This forum, in the fairly short time I have been a member, tends to have a wide range of discussion on it and has no swear filter, so I often come across very strong expletives on here - again unchallenged. I don't have the slightest problem with that, it just seems strange that mild humour then does get challenged.
Hekaterine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2006, 9:36   #14
leyla
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Spot on, Hekat. Sisters (brothers welcome too) unite against inconsistency.
leyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Nov 2006, 22:35   #15
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid

Hmmm. Couple of points here:

a) Anne Marie isn't admin, and so her reactions aren't those of someone who has to be seen to be consistent. If she doesn't like mention of lady problems that's quite within her rights to point out! Doesn't mean that anyone has to take notice of her.

b) Palimp decisions on what is and isn't allowed has never been consistent, and is usually decided upon a whim. It's one of the joys of the site. Just ask Grendel!
Old 24th Nov 2006, 11:56   #16
amarie
has never loathed cock, and
is a Palimpsester Extraordinaire

I'm sorry 'leyla', I don't think PMT sentimentality is filth at all I'm just sick and tired of all the blethering and back-slapping.
amarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Nov 2006, 12:11   #17
scout
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

Amen to that.

It's not the subject matter, that's missing the point.

This self-referencing love-in nonsense has become far too cloying on The Palimp of late, and it makes it a less than attractive place to visit.
scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Nov 2006, 17:44   #18
Beth
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

What intriguing comments, Amarie and Scout. It would be interesting to hear your perspective on what constitutes a discussion board. Is it not the mixture of all that makes such great fun? Would it be possible to host a palimpsest and insist that the members deconstruct and remove all elements of self from posts? I'm wondering what that would be like.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Nov 2006, 18:14   #19
Hekaterine
Palimpsestarian
laughs in the face of fear

I don't have a problem with anyone pointing out things they don't like or disagree with - that's the whole point of a discussion forum.

I guess what I found frustrating, and have seen on one or two occasions recently, is people saying 'we don't need such and such on the Palimp' or 'this isn't suitable for the Palimp'. That is the job of the Admin team but not for the rest of us, IMHO.

I wouldn't dream of making a comment such as that, whereas I might well (and have on one or two occasions) mentioned that I personally haven't liked a post or joke or whatever.
Hekaterine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Nov 2006, 18:30   #20
NottyImp
the aging anarchist
could do better

Well said Hek and Beth.

[blether]

*slaps backs, goes for a group hug, and looks forward to the, ah, "love in" later on*

[/blether]