Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Other Reviews

View Poll Results: Who is your favourite Doctor?
William Hartnell 1 2.22%
Patrick Troughton 2 4.44%
Jon Pertwee 4 8.89%
Tom Baker 15 33.33%
Peter Davison 8 17.78%
Colin Baker 0 0%
Sylvester McCoy 1 2.22%
Paul McGann 0 0%
Christopher Eccleston 8 17.78%
David Tennant 6 13.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st Mar 2005, 10:54   #21
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

I am officially gooey with excitement (tempered only slightly by Billie Piper's vacuous performance on Parky on saturday). Cannot wait.
Old 21st Mar 2005, 11:13   #22
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

I am most worried about Billie Piper. After watching the Dr. Who night on Saturday, obviously some of the other assistants were useless (hands up, Bonnie Langford and Janet Fielding who played Tegan) and others rather better (Jamie in a kilt of course, Sarah-Jane, Romana, Turlough, and Peri) but I wish they'd cast someone pretty well unknown.
Old 21st Mar 2005, 11:30   #23
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Perhaps getting Peri back, even? She's not done much recently.
Old 26th Mar 2005, 21:02   #24
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

I very much enjoyed the first episode of the new series. I was never a connoisseur of the old one, though familiar enough with it in its final years, and clearly this was leaps and bounds ahead, not just in production values but in writing, acting and general pizzazz. The shop dummies (Autons?) were pretty ropey villains with their staccato movements - and how come everything else made of plastic didn't come alive, or wasn't I listening? - and that led to some unintentional humour on top of all the intentional humour. I'll watch it again.
Old 26th Mar 2005, 23:16   #25
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

me too. I think I enjoyed most of it (even the crass burp of the wheely bin) and I'll think on it overnight. Three of the four junior Col's watched and all had at least one "behind a pillow"/fingers-in-ears moments - so a success on that front. They pronounced it 'excellent'.
Old 27th Mar 2005, 9:51   #26
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Mostly it retained what was good and familiar about the old series whilst dishing it up fresh and new. The special effects weren't too grandiose but impressive enough to pass muster - only the wheelie bin moment lacked a little authenticity, but Mickey's Auton replacement was chilling.

The shoot-out in the mall was probably the most horrifying scene - for all its fantasy element, I watched it as if there was a real mad gunman on the loose (thinking of the high school shooting earlier this week) and wondering if it wasn't a little too realistic for young children to watch: there was genuine terror going on there, and poor Clive was an honourable first casualty. They invoked serious respect for (male) sci-fi fen with his little scene at home, and the little touch of the Dr. appearing in the crowd on Nov 22nd (bad photoshopping though), was a nice touch towards reminding us how it all began.

I did wonder about the plastics coming alive. I half-expected Rose's mum's bag to come alive and try to strangle her, or plasticised tape to jump around people's feet.

Rose was played a little too much like an updated version of Sharon Watts circa 1985 but she was okay. Not as feisty as Ace or Leela (or as bossy as Tegan). It helped that a lot of the dialogue (as you might expect from Russell T Davies) was naturalistic - more in the line of The Cops than The Bill. Sometimes it tried too hard for laughs and sometimes the Doctor did too.

Christopher Eccleston was pretty good, I think. He was sometimes a little quick with his wit and lines and brusque too, but it still worked, and the battered leather coat was good and the line about 'other planets having a north'. :D What I don't want is any inkling of a romantic attachment between the two of them.

And next week seems to be a collection of special effects costumes. Looking forward to it already.
Old 28th Mar 2005, 23:40   #27
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colyngbourne
Mostly it retained what was good and familiar about the old series whilst dishing it up fresh and new. The special effects weren't too grandiose but impressive enough to pass muster - only the wheelie bin moment lacked a little authenticity, but Mickey's Auton replacement was chilling.
I'm not sure why they didn't just bite the bullet of having Mickey dead. They'd sold it to us, despite the early hour (and we see a lot worse at that time these days) and then just went back on it. Seemed pointless to me.

Quote:
the little touch of the Dr. appearing in the crowd on Nov 22nd (bad photoshopping though)
yes, awful. Didn't look good at all did it?

Quote:
Rose was played a little too much like an updated version of Sharon Watts circa 1985 but she was okay.
I reckon Chris Evans is a very lucky bloke! She was all right, I must say, much better than I'd expected and her it's-bigger-on-the-inside-than-the-outside moment was pretty perfect really.

Quote:
Christopher Eccleston was pretty good, I think. He was sometimes a little quick with his wit and lines and brusque too, but it still worked, and the battered leather coat was good and the line about 'other planets having a north'.
Yes, cracking line that, wasn't it, and dispensed with the easy gripe from the tabloids and don't-cares in one easy swipe.

Overall a damn good first ep., and I'll definitely be there next week.
Old 30th Mar 2005, 22:30   #28
John Self
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amner
I reckon Chris Evans is a very lucky bloke!
Wot, you mean now they've split up?? Or don't tell me you've let your subscription to Heat magazine lapse, my man... (This is the cue for someone to come in and tell me I'm the one with outdated celebknowledge, and they've actually got back together.)

Anyway. This didn't take long, did it?

BBC commissions second series of Doctor Who
Old 31st Mar 2005, 0:12   #29
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Believe me, I was fussing over a 'was' in there, but he's still lucky, whichever way you slice it.
Old 31st Mar 2005, 9:23   #30
John Self
Administrator

And this wasn't entirely unexpected from the fussy old sourpuss:

Eccleston quits Doctor Who role