Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Other Reviews

Tags
andrew scott, arthur conan doyle, benedict cumberbatch, mark gatiss, martin freeman, moriarty, sherlock holmes, steven moffat, una stubbs

Old 20th Jan 2012, 8:45   #11
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Default Re: Sherlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colyngbourne View Post
Oh dear, there's an absolute trio of us then. I swear my BC crush increases with every thing I see him in - I worry immensely that he does right by playing Christopher Tietjens in Parade's End next autumn, then I worry that buying the Sherlock DVD as soon as it comes out is a tad obsessive; and then I see a pic of him lounging in some chair, looking all Sherlocky ....
He's in War Horse too, Col...

And I think part of the appeal is that he's an extraordinary actor. Remember that scene in Tinker, Tailor? I'm ashamed to say that I haven't got around to reading Parade's End, but you'd hope that if anyone can do a decent job, it will be Mr Cumberbatch.
ono no komachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Jan 2012, 10:45   #12
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Hmm, and OK. I've re-watched the end a few times and noticed that, yes, he does say he may need Molly...and of course it's very important that he does his leap from the rooftop of St Bart's (positioned above the word 'Pathology', which was nice) where her pals would be; in case he needs them.

And he does, because Moriarty goes for the worst-case-scenario option (cue Sherly speculating a flash forward with Mrs Hudson coming to harm). So, that means he has to bring the troops in to play.

Note how he forces Watson to stand in a very particular spot (his landing area hidden by a truck). He then, and this I only just noticed, looks down and stands on the ledge at a very specific point that you can see is marked. I think this is important. I think it indicates the point from where he has to launch himself.

There must (probably to do with the works truck parked there) be something altered on the pavement, some replacement surface perhaps that takes his fall and allows him to survive. It's still a risky thing and he's going to have to (temporarily) say goodbye to his chums, so he's agitated, but he's not going to die. The assassins don't know that, of course, and he has to go through with it to save the day.

Then, and I think the courier cyclist is a Baker Street Irregular poised to further delay JW, he is immediately surrounded by the Bart's team who just happen to be stationed ready in waiting.
Old 20th Jan 2012, 10:54   #13
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

He did do a certain amount of looking and pedalling with his legs as if he were aiming to land in a particular place.
Old 20th Jan 2012, 11:01   #14
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

I reckon I'd pedal furiously if jumping off the roof of Bart's, too!
Old 20th Jan 2012, 11:03   #15
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Agreed but it looked more thought-out than panicky.
Old 20th Jan 2012, 12:22   #16
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Yes, very deliberate. But, then again, I'm very much liking the hallucination theory - he does make Watson stand in a very specific place, perhaps the right spot for administering the airborne chemicals.

Out-of-character things I've listed that may or may not be relevant clues:
- Hand-holding (Watson)/shaking hands (Moriarty and the assassin who gets him out of the way of the car)
- Saying 'thank you' very clearly and sincerely (again, the save-from-squashing man)
- Making tea (though Mr Lucoid pointed out he's probably just showing off his skills of deduction to Moriarty)
- The Molly thing
- Apparently not working out that the computer code was a red herring
- Crying

Think that was all. I haven't yet built my own Mind Palace so I've probably forgotten something.
Old 20th Jan 2012, 12:32   #17
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

You haven't got a Mind Palace yet!? Tardy. I'm currently in the west wing's extensive corridors, sliding along the parquet in my stockinged feet.
Old 20th Jan 2012, 12:32   #18
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ono no komachi View Post
And I think part of the appeal is that he's an extraordinary actor.
Absolutely. I find Robert Downey Jr very watchable, but I never for one second actually believed he was Sherlock Holmes. Benedict Cumberbatch, however, most definitely is.

I'd heard him as the pilot in Radio 4's Cabin Pressure (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lmcxj) but didn't think I'd seen him in anything on screen, only to find out he's in Atonement and Starter for 10. About time to revisit those, I think, to observe those magnificent acting skills.
Old 20th Jan 2012, 12:33   #19
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Quote:
Originally Posted by amner View Post
You haven't got a Mind Palace yet!? Tardy. I'm currently in the west wing's extensive corridors, sliding along the parquet in my stockinged feet.
Old 1st May 2012, 16:42   #20
Mookse
Palimpsestarian
is hanging around suspiciously

For those like me who have been avoiding this thread because PBS in the U.S. is airing these four months after the U.K., the time has come (almost)! The first episode of series two airs this Sunday night.

There were times I didn't think I'd make it.