Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 22nd Aug 2012, 2:22   #271
elwood
Palimpsestarian
deserves a medal

Default Faithless (Oates) / The Book of Reuben (King)

Old 22nd Aug 2012, 2:36   #272
elwood
Palimpsestarian
deserves a medal

Default Mapping the Edge (Dunant) / The Assignation (Oates) / White Oleander (Fitch)

This edition of Sarah Dunant's Mapping the Edge has two bookalikes...

Old 22nd Aug 2012, 2:39   #273
elwood
Palimpsestarian
deserves a medal

Default Mapping the Edge (Dunant) / A Change of Climate (Mantel)

While this edition of Sarah Dunant's Mapping the Edge appears to have just only one bookalike...

Old 22nd Aug 2012, 2:48   #274
elwood
Palimpsestarian
deserves a medal

Default The Widow's Season (Brodie) / A Little Stranger [x2] (Pullinger)

Laura Brodie's The Widow's Season and two paperback editions of Kate Pullinger's A Little Stranger...

Old 24th Aug 2012, 12:02   #275
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Default Re: Bookalikes

Tell me, elwood, do the publishers have to pay for each picture they use? Do they all come from the same picture library? If they buy a picture can they re-use it on other books? Is there a market for photographers to supply new and different covers?
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Aug 2012, 17:12   #276
David
Palimpsestarian
is hanging around suspiciously

Gil, I'm sure Elwood will be able to give a more definitive answer, but:

Unless the image is 'royalty free' a publisher would have to pay for each picture they use from a stock library. Typically they will pay for a single use license meaning they can use that image on one cover only (price would also depend on print run, territory etc.).
They could if they wanted buy an exclusive license (usually for x number of years) which would prevent anyone else licensing the same image - thus avoiding many of the 'bookalikes' on this thread - but that would be very expensive and it would probably be cheaper for them to commission a new photograph (as I think Cape do with Ian McEwan's covers). They could also buy the copyright to an image meaning they could do whatever they wanted with it, but that too would be very expensive. In my experience publishers who demand copyright in an artwork don't actually need it and are seldom prepared to pay for it.

Incidentally, I don't know how stock libraries are regarded by photographers, but amongst illustrators they are held in very low regard (though stock illustration is more likely to be used editorially than for book covers). Every time someone uses a stock image they're not commissioning a new piece of work. They're one of the reasons fees have been stagnating for well over a decade and make it very hard to earn a decent living.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Aug 2012, 23:35   #277
JunkMonkey
Senior Palimpsester
should be ashamed

And why book covers - for the most part - are so damn uniformly dull these days. No one in 30 years time is going to be scouring second-hand shops for any of this stuff - for the cover art I mean. I'm sure some strange people will be wanting to look at all those funny black squiggles inside. Some books you buy just for the cover. I've had this one for over 30 years and have never felt the urge to open it:

Gamma Product by the_junk_monkey, on Flickr

And as far as I know there is no bookalike for it.

Though Google's Image Search dingus thinks this is a close match:

I can see where it's coming from.

There Are Not Seven Words In My Signature
JunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Aug 2012, 12:13   #278
David
Palimpsestarian
is hanging around suspiciously

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
And why book covers - for the most part - are so damn uniformly dull these days. No one in 30 years time is going to be scouring second-hand shops for any of this stuff - for the cover art I mean.
Its true nobody is doing anything as mad as that cover, JM, or if they are they're being deliberately retro or it's a pastiche, and yes, a lot of the covers knocking around (the last several Elwood has posted for example) are bland and forgettable - cobbled together in a matter of hours I should think using stock imagery and not much imagination. But! There are so many great covers still being produced - certainly I buy books for the cover alone sometimes. The Americans especially are brilliant at covers (designers are recognised 'names' over there - probably only Suzanne Dean or Jon Gray have that kind of status in the UK). Just look at the work of Chip Kidd, Peter Mendelsund,Carol Devine Carson, Gabriele Wilson, and Henry Sene Yee to name just a few. And then there are loads of great cover illustrators: Harriet Russell, Petra Bonner, Andy Bridge etc etc, not to mention modern classics like Jeff Fisher's cover for Captain Corelli's Mandolin.
In my own very small way I try and make my covers distinctive and a bit different where I can. True, nobody will be looking for them in 30 years time, but it'd be nice to think that sometimes a book gets bought based on my cover alone: after all that is the point of book covers, to get people to pick the thing up.
Unfortunately, as illustrators and designers our hands are often tied and our ideas reined in by the dreaded Marketing department, who are terrified of causing offence, want broad appeal and often want a cover to look very similar to the one on 'that successful book aimed at the same market', leading to the uniform dullness you mention.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Aug 2012, 16:03   #279
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Well.. I have to say that some of the Bookalikes, despite being unimaginative, are more aesthetically pleasing than many of the commissioned ones. I particularly hate books whose titles are scrawled in a childish hand, and the recent spate of Penguin Feynman books are an insult to their author.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...eynman&x=0&y=0
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Aug 2012, 7:43   #280
elwood
Palimpsestarian
deserves a medal

Default Wish I Could Be There (Shawn) / Boredom (Toohey) / Ordinary Time (Clancy)

Last edited by elwood; 2nd Sep 2015 at 6:09.
elwood is offline   Reply With Quote