Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Other Reviews

Old 5th Jul 2005, 6:49   #1
Jerkass
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Default This Wine I'm Drinking at the Moment

A stunning South African Cabernet Sauvignon--I've had many South African wines I'd describe as pleasant, but this one is downright elegant.

If you were to press me to review it like a proper wine snob, I'd say it has a smoky nose with hints of dried cherry, which turn into juicy currant and raspberry flavors before velvety tannins kick in, bringing back the dried cherry on a pleasingly long finish, but not a finish that is too long or dry for a hot St. Louis summer evening (or at least inside in the air conditioning during a hot St. Louis summer evening). Fantastic. I haven't had a wine like this for a while. I haven't had a wine for a while, now that I think of it. Still, fantastic.

In case you're wondering, it's from the Waterford winery in the Stellenbosch region, 2000 Cabernet Sauvignon. I think I paid all of $13-$18 (£7-£10) for it. So keep your eyes open. For our US viewers, I'm almost certain I picked it up from wine.com.

edit: I also should say that it's probably a full year off its best at the moment, I would guess.
Old 5th Jul 2005, 7:24   #2
Jerkass
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

To multiply the snob factor, I should add that this wine is going quite well with both Camembert and fake Wisconsin (sorry, Maggie) "cheddar."
Old 5th Jul 2005, 8:20   #3
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Even at 7.23 am I'm envious! Camembert! you can't get good Camembert in our supermarket now because they keep it so refrigerated it never walks off the plate.
Old 6th Feb 2007, 15:27   #4
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Default Re: This Wine I'm Drinking at the Moment

Harrumph. Wine's a sore point since I was compelled to leave three excellent bottles at Auckland airport because of the new security restrictions. (They still went to a good home but I'm grumpy because it wasn't my home.)
ono no komachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Feb 2007, 21:46   #5
chillicheese
Palimpsestarian
is a Grand High Wizard of the Palimp

Send a message via Yahoo to chillicheese

That's surely a crime.
NZ wines are mighty fine.
suggest majestic.
Old 6th Feb 2007, 21:51   #6
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester

Ah yes indeedy. But maybe they wouldn't have travelled well anyway. And now my lucky sibling has them to enjoy.
ono no komachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Feb 2007, 13:36   #7
gil
Senior Palimpsester

Beryl can't drink wine with sulphites in it.

Regrettably, this forces us to drink only certain wines. Not all these "certain" wines are expensive, but if you've got to guess, the better class of French, Italian, Aussie, Spanish and NZ wines are likely to be nil or low in the sulphite department, while most of the South American wines, even the good ones, we find, have heavy sulphite concentrations.

The reason for the sulphites is quality control. The vintner adds sodium metabisulphite to the brew to kill the yeast when the alcohol level is right. This isn't usually necessary when a wine is traditionally made, because who cares if it's a little more alcoholic? However, if they are producing it in stainless steel process control factories in bulk tanker volumes, they just have little alternative.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Feb 2007, 18:07   #8
Oryx
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Last night I had a truly sumptuous wine with my starter at dinner. It was a 2004 Vouvray-Domaine Haut Vouvray, Haut-Lien Moulleux. Even the anti white wine drinker (my husband) loved it.

I must say I'm a traditionalist when it comes to wine and tend to prefer French and Italian wines to the new world wines, with some notable exceptions for Californian and Oregon wines. I've yet to find a really good Australian wine for under $30.00 and have had only one good New Zealand wines-an unoaked Chardonnay from Kim Crawford. But that may be because I never buy them and so don't experiment.