Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Top Tens

Old 16th Jun 2007, 13:33   #1
Ang
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Default Worst self published books

I searched and, incredibly, did not find an existence of a thread with this theme. If I've missed it, please merge!

In the frenzy to decide which books to fill a suitcase to bring home from Hay's Bookends all-books-£1 shop, I purchased The Final Truth by Deep Throat, which has a blurb about Watergate. Clever to write as Deep Throat instead of Mark Felt, I thought. How stupid of me! This book was published in 2002 and Mark Felt did not out himself until 2005.

Well, anyone can call themselves Deep Throat, especially anyone who is publishes through Xlibris. Though this person is purporting to be THE Deep Throat, and mentions Watergate, the book is about the existence of God. It's so preposterous that I think I might even finish it for comic value (it is short).

Some of the mistakes I've spotted so far are "then" instead of "than", and much worse in my opinion, "are" instead of "our".

Has anyone else come across this gem?
Old 16th Jun 2007, 15:37   #2
Beth
Senior Palimpsester

Default Re: Worst self published books

Watergate and the existence of God between two covers? What accomplishment. I've been spared, Ang. But if the local rag publishes another front page color splash about some local woman who's just released a 'Christian romance' through Publish America, I'm going to go to the customer service desk of the newspaper and throttle someone.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2007, 4:18   #3
aemy
Junior Palimpsestarian
is hanging around suspiciously

Throttle?

I'm coming to Quincey to watch!
Old 17th Jun 2007, 10:19   #4
Ang
Senior Palimpsester

An excerpt from The Final Truth (it's getting funnier and funnier!)
Quote:
For instance back in the sixties, a friend of mine who was a grandson of Eliot Ness (EXAMPLE DELETED) saved. You see now how difficult it is to convince you of something unless you become involved. So as I say, I really don't have that much sympathy for you if you don't believe in all that stuff about flying saucers, eternal life, God and everything.
EXAMPLE DELETED? What?

Oh and a few pages ago, flying objects were referred to as not unidentified because they have been identified by the President of the United States and the Vice President of the United States during Watergate, namely Nixon and Ford.

Some more snippets to ponder:
Quote:
It is beyond the scope of this book to explain the mechanisms used to achieve travel at speeds many times that of light.
Quote:
It could very well be that the Director of the CIA should have never told me to write about this.
Quote:
If you have been reading carefully you may have noticed that the United States government could have documents in their possession right at this very moment that will be written in the future. Do these exist? Some do, as my book attests to.
Quote:
You see, Nixon knew when I was a child that God was a real person because he had been with Ike for so long by then.
About a phone call with Nixon:
Quote:
Not long before that call, he said that he forgot not to tape one of our conversations, and promised that he would erase it. He asked if it would be OK if he called me back after he did, and play it back for me so that I was sure that he had erased it all. He said that some thought that the eraser didn't work that well, so I better listen to it to be sure it was completely erased.

Last edited by Ang; 17th Jun 2007 at 10:53.
Ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2007, 15:08   #5
Beth
Senior Palimpsester

Aha! Now we know that Nixon was a UFO. And there can be no other explanation for Dick Cheney. Great stuff, Ang.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aemy
Throttle?

I'm coming to Quincey to watch!
Not too scary, eh?

Last edited by Beth; 17th Jun 2007 at 21:31.
Old 17th Jun 2007, 19:54   #6
leyla
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Oh dear, this sounds painful. There should be an omnipotent, omnipresent self publishing editor who smites talentless and deluded authors to stop them humiliating themselves like this. Maybe you should introduce Mark Felt to Sean Wright , Ang, and they can embark on an exciting joint venture?
leyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jun 2007, 20:38   #7
Beth
Senior Palimpsester

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyla View Post
Maybe you should introduce Mark Felt to Sean Wright , Ang, and they can embark on an exciting joint venture?
At Felt's age, I have an inkling his next adventure could be a biggie.
Old 18th Jun 2007, 7:21   #8
Ang
Senior Palimpsester

Sorry for the misunderstanding, but Mark Felt did not write this book. Someone wrote this book under the name of Deep Throat and pretending to be the Watergate informant. A few years later, Mark Felt told the world he was Deep Throat, the Watergate informant. Totally unrelated.
Old 18th Jun 2007, 10:58   #9
leyla
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Grounds for Felt to sue or at least kick up a fuss, I should think. The author of this book has irretrievably besmirched Felt's name (although since probably only you, the author's mum and a handful of long-suffering friends of the author have read this, it's probably not worth any legal hassle )
leyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2007, 11:15   #10
Ang
Senior Palimpsester

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyla View Post
Grounds for Felt to sue or at least kick up a fuss, I should think. The author of this book has irretrievably besmirched Felt's name (although since probably only you, the author's mum and a handful of long-suffering friends of the author have read this, it's probably not worth any legal hassle )
It's fairly obvious to the sane reader that the person who wrote this is not the real "Deep Throat", so there would be nothing for Mark Felt to worry about.

It is also obvious to the sane reader that the person who wrote this book is not sane, but as he never tells who he is, we wouldn't know who to recommend be committed to the nearest suitable institution.