Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > Politics & Society

Old 16th Feb 2007, 11:57   #21
Kimberley
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Default Re: US Presidential Election 2008

I don't think that't the first, Hinton. A couple of weeks ago there was a bit of a brouhaha about Obama apparently having studied at (ooh-errr) a Muslim school. The story was meant to come out of the Hillary Clinton camp. Turns out he went to school in Indonesia or someplace as the very young child of a diplomat. Obama felt obliged to air his Christian credentials as a result. I think this campaign could be set to get very nasty.
Kimberley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2007, 14:53   #22
Maggie
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

For crying out loud.........if these people would spend more time governing and less time posturing for each other, we may just accomplish something.

As far as I'm concerned, they are all acting like perpetual children, playing on a perpetual playgroud. A playground that we "the people" pay for !

The other day I listened to Mr. Bush plead his case for MORE war. Everyother word was something like, terror or stratigic or security or forces or enemy not to mention 9/11 which he invoked once again. How better to make the masses cower ? What if we were spending as much time and money trying to fight the war on Cancer ? or hunger ? or poverty ? or mental illness ?

What the hell ?
I am ready to bail ! But then I look around and realize that human nature is just that ....human nature. Where could one go to get away from all the greed and self-serving behavior ? (maybe a Buddist monistary ?)

Another mini rant from Maggie

Oscar Wilde, 1854-1900

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79565255@N00/
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2007, 15:00   #23
Maggie
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

I believe it has come to light that all of the brew ha ha about Obama has been "leaked" by the GOP ! And we all know how good they are at "leaking". The whole dang bunch of them have been leaking like sieves since they swore to serve their country in the best and most honorable way they can. Apparently, name calling, outing spies, cherry picking intelligence, alienating our country from the rest of the the world's population is in our own best interest !

Maggie

Oscar Wilde, 1854-1900

Old 16th Feb 2007, 15:04   #24
Maggie
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

At this point the only person I would vote for is Russ Feingold. A Wisconsin senator who has never waffled, never backed down and never changed his mind. A still small voice. He has been ridiculed and called names "cut and run Russ" comes to mind...........he dared suggest a time line in Iraq. I believe he suggested this a few months after the war started. Oh yes, he was a traitor also............very UnAmerican to suggest that we would not "stay the course"
What ever....so far he would be the only one I would feel comfortable voting for...........the candidates have to clean up their acts a whole lot for me to have any faith in the what-so-ever !

Maggie

Oscar Wilde, 1854-1900

Old 16th Feb 2007, 15:37   #25
Daveybot
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
...The other day I listened to Mr. Bush plead his case for MORE war. Everyother word was something like, terror or stratigic or security or forces or enemy not to mention 9/11 which he invoked once again...
I rather liked this tag cloud of his state of the onion address, showing which words cropped up the most.
Daveybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Feb 2007, 19:23   #26
Kimberley
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

I was listening to one of Bill CLinton's speech writers on the radio the other night. He said that in one of Clinton's state of the union addresses the teleprompter went off for eight minutes during which time he had to ad-lib direct to air. Eight minutes is a hell of a long time to be talking, as I recall from high school debates. Wouldn't it be hysterical if this were to happen to the current president? I can't see him coping for eight seconds. But we'd never be that lucky.
Kimberley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Feb 2007, 22:19   #27
Maggie
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberley View Post
Wouldn't it be hysterical if this were to happen to the current president? I can't see him coping for eight seconds. But we'd never be that lucky.
I bet this would be the GOP's worst nightmare.....who knows what would come out of the President's mouth, should he not be scripted ? I'm thinking that all teleprompters are carefully inspected and tested prior to any Presidental speech made since 2000.

I haven't heard of anymore dirt being slung about. Obama wrote a book and pretty much laid it all out there. As for Hiliary, she and Bill spent years under the microscope......can not imagine that there would be too much more to drag out.

As far as McCain goes.........his actions speak for themselves. He did a complete 360 degree turn on a lot of important issues, sold himself out for a chance to acquire the ring.

I went on a vacation and stayed away from world events for a week. Needed a break from trying to solve problems I have absolutely no power to solve

Maggie

Oscar Wilde, 1854-1900

Old 19th Feb 2007, 22:53   #28
beer good
Palimpsestarian
could do better

I doubt we'll ever know; something tells me that if GWB's teleprompter cut out during a live speech, all channels would immediately claim technical problems and stop the broadcast until the teleprompter was up and running again.

Quote:
He did a complete 360 degree turn on a lot of important issues
That's what I call a man of principle. Most politicians stop at 180.

Goodreads (2013 and older)
Movies I've seen
beer good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Feb 2007, 2:20   #29
Maggie
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Math was never one of my strengths

Maggie

Oscar Wilde, 1854-1900

Old 22nd Feb 2007, 21:08   #30
Beth
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

worth a look oooh, look at her face. This is better than any tv show!
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote