the apprentice

Old 17th Mar 2006, 9:56   #21
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Default Re: The Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradlater
I have to admit to a deep sense of contentment whenever Sugar goes "Your fired, you're fired, you're a lightweight, you're fired." Bliss.
I enjoy his little comments after they've left the room too. As when Syed had said "Thankyou for the opportunity, Sir Alan." (Was it my imagination or did he actually bow as he said it?)

"Cheeky bugger."
ono no komachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2006, 10:44   #22
Stradlater
Palimpsestarian
is a Grand High Wizard of the Palimp

Heh-heh, I think you're right, it was the shadow of a bow. Classic.
Stradlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2006, 10:57   #23
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Yes, that was so odd, wasn't it? What was he thinking? Twat.
Old 17th Mar 2006, 11:14   #24
jim
Palimpsestarian
worries mother

Maybe they are twats but why does the audience derive pleasure from watching these people being humiliated. It's not as if they're going to learn from the experience and give it all up to do missionary work in Africa. It's simply sadism and doesn't reflect well on either the audience or the participators. Or maybe I'm taking it too seriously...
jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2006, 11:46   #25
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

I don't know, I don't feel as sorry for them as, say, the poor blighters who are subjected to the Big Brother house: the camera doesn't seem as intrusive, their tasks seem to be reasonable challenges (in other words a chance to shine as well as to show themselves up) and it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they could have to deal with such determined hectoring in their business lives (e.g. with a very demanding client).

And you'd hope that the production team have selected a group of individuals with the native intelligence to know what they're letting themselves in for (which I suspect is very much not the case with BB).
ono no komachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Mar 2006, 19:08   #26
Stradlater
Palimpsestarian
is a Grand High Wizard of the Palimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim
Maybe they are twats but why does the audience derive pleasure from watching these people being humiliated. It's not as if they're going to learn from the experience and give it all up to do missionary work in Africa. It's simply sadism and doesn't reflect well on either the audience or the participators. Or maybe I'm taking it too seriously...

Jim - you're probably right. I'm not sure they will learn from the experience. And it probably IS sadism on the part of the audience. But somehow . . . I don't know . . . I just can't seem to get too hot under the collar about it. I agree with ono, in that the Apprentice lot seem less vulnerable than the Big Brother participants, and therefore fair game somehow. Sometimes the Big Brother participants aren't especially bright and so it seems a shame for them to be humiliated. Whereas in the Apprentice a certain base-level savviness is assumed. Doesn't it go back to the oldest joke in the book, slipping on a banana peel? We laugh at the person who has fallen down? Isn't that one of the things human beings are about? (It may not be nice but it might be the case)?
Stradlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Mar 2006, 7:33   #27
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Watched a lovely double dose of The Apprentice last night (taped last week's repeat on Tuesday night as we missed it then). Yes, the pizza stand was the best one yet, particularly Syed ordering 100 (large, because he didn't bother to specify the size) chickens for 100 pizzas and then getting a right chewing from Sir Alan.

If that was the first one Jim watched, then I understand how it's possible to think they were being ritually humiliated because they (the boys' team anyway) were on the defensive the whole time because they were doing so badly, and didn't really have any arguments to stand up to Sir Alan at the end. But that would be to grossly misread these narcissistic arseholes, who really do deserve to be brought down several pegs with both barrels every day for the rest of their lives for being such self-involved, boastful, arrogant, and at the same time not actually very good at what they do, scumbags. I can't wait for Ruth, with her scrunched up little face like a wet weekend in Skegness, to get a slap. I had thought Paul wasn't too bad until last night, when he started saying things like "I'm the best, no-one can touch me" - mate, no-one can get near you, you're so fat. Glad to see Mani go last night: his dreadful sing-song fake sincerity-with-a-smile, which made everything he said sound like it was coming from the mouth of a Crossroads character - and yet which he thinks makes him a really good presentational expert!! - really deserved the chop. As the website says, last night's firee "is smooth and slick, but not necessarily in a good way." In their own words? "An outstanding consultant." By my reckoning Ansell, the very big very black guy, along maybe with Tuan, is the only one who hasn't shown himself to be a berk. Yet. Incidentally, Michelle - the strident one - looks almost exactly like my significant other. Doesn't make us like her, though.
Old 23rd Mar 2006, 9:02   #28
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid

Yeah, the firee last night really had it coming, though I don't actually think he deserved to go last night. I'm still (just) a Paul fan - he did after all pull his team out of the shit.

I actually think the whole task was a mistake - it was so hard, really, that just producing anything at all was some sort of an achievement. And on watching the follow up programme on BBC3 afterwards (worth watching for the ever amusing Adrian Chiles if nothing else), which showed both adverts several times, it was clear that Sugar's criticism that the losing team's didn't focus on the card simple wasn't true.

Tuan is a cock, though. Utterly, utterly useless. Paul had the measure of him in last night's episode, I thought.
Old 23rd Mar 2006, 9:14   #29
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

From the trailer it looked as though next week Paul does have some success in the second-hand car business, as well.
Old 23rd Mar 2006, 9:17   #30
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid

He does strike me as being a born car salesman, to be honest. Going from those clips, though, has that Jo gone utterly mental? What was with that huh huh huh deep laugh she has developed?!